all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Phase 2 - Workout #1
New optimism after hitting PR last Friday. Really tried to dial in and stay tight. Watching video of myself doing workout #24 made me realize there are few things to address and trying to do that. After 1st workout I understand why in introduction of Phase 2 Geoff states: "Everybody could use a little extra meat on his or her bones." Phase 1 Week 1 had total of 30 reps. Phase 2 Week 1 has total of 80 reps and further Phase 2 Week 15 will have 150 reps. I think I will like phase 2 even more than phase 1. I'm sure about thing. I this stage Slow and Steady will work better for me when it comes to ensure I hit all the reps in Phase 3. I'm saying that as I did all sets pf Ph1W1 with 90 seconds breaks between sets and after 18m30s I was sweating terribly. Its 20 mins after workout and I'm still waiting to stop sweating so I can go and hit the shower.

5-Jun: 118 P / 252 C / 140 F / 2807 kcal
6- Jun: 114 P / 164 C / 40 F / 1492 kcal
7-Jun: 215 P / 98 C / 94 F / 1994 kcal

I figured I would get the exact advice @John Grahill did end up giving from both he and Geoff. So yesterday I followed Phase 2 Day 1 as written. I kept my rests at a minute to a minute and a half. I ended up doing the 30 reps in 15:04. I then did a core/ab circuit of Suitcase Carries 40 seconds each side + 10 Ex. ball crunches + 10 Ex. ball Reverse Crunches for 3 rounds. I finished with 3 sets of 12 pushups. 1 set standard, 1 set on KB's and 1 set on KB's with a wide grip.

During the hypertrophy phase I'm also going to concentrate on at least getting my current weights maintenance calories or slightly more on workout days. According to the Mayo Clinics calculator that is around 2200-2250 kcal. I'm normally doing a mostly slow carb style diet with a good amount of intermittent fasting mixed in. My calories are usually in the 1800-2000 range on everyday except Saturday. Yesterday I got in 2300 calories. I'm feeling great this morning.

I figured I would get the exact advice @John Grahill did end up giving from both he and Geoff. So yesterday I followed Phase 2 Day 1 as written. I kept my rests at a minute to a minute and a half. I ended up doing the 30 reps in 15:04. I then did a core/ab circuit of Suitcase Carries 40 seconds each side + 10 Ex. ball crunches + 10 Ex. ball Reverse Crunches for 3 rounds. I finished with 3 sets of 12 pushups. 1 set standard, 1 set on KB's and 1 set on KB's with a wide grip.

During the hypertrophy phase I'm also going to concentrate on at least getting my current weights maintenance calories or slightly more on workout days. According to the Mayo Clinics calculator that is around 2200-2250 kcal. I'm normally doing a mostly slow carb style diet with a good amount of intermittent fasting mixed in. My calories are usually in the 1800-2000 range on everyday except Saturday. Yesterday I got in 2300 calories. I'm feeling great this morning.
Are you doing the "slow and steady"?

Are you doing the "slow and steady"?
No. I'm doing the short course due to scheduling. It will put me on week 3 of the fat burning/endurance phase when we head to the beach for vacation. Once I finish I plan on doing a short deloading program for a few weeks. Then I'm going to hit up the Giant through all 5 phases.

Phase 2 / Workout 2: done my sets of 4 for the first time and took my time with it. On average work was around 45 seconds and rest was around 4 mins. I found today’s workout to be really hard.

ZMA combined with Cod Liver Oil and extra vitamin D give some weird dreams but I slept like a baby last 2 nights.

Food: 202 P / 151 C / 31 F / 1557 kcal (one meal at 5pm post workout)

Reactions: DC3
Yesterday Phase 2 Workout 2; I did day 2 of the 9 minute KB challenge as a warmup. Short course is just 10x2. I kept rests to 1:00 to 1:15. Total for the DCP's was 12:10. Felt great. I added a 6 exercise ab finisher for 2 rounds. 10:48. I worked out on a 16-17 hour fast and then feasted on 2 meals and a snack between.

@bgn I have supplemented with Vitamin D for a little over a year. Good stuff. However I've been taking an Ashwaganda supplement before bed for the relaxation and other benefits for about 3 weeks. The sleep has been great. The last couple of weeks I have had vivid dreams that I can fully remember many of the mornings. Some wild dreams at times.

That’s 3rd time doing max number of sets of triples. 90 seconds rest. 1:3 work:rate. Sweating a lot but enjoyable. There is a rhythm and no time to mess around.
Food:
Jun-10: 152 P / 98 C / 92 F / 1852 kcal
Jun-11: 192 P / 136 C / 85 F / 1975 kcal

Finally today I ended phase 3. Don't know why but this phase has been the most challenging for me. I thought that I was going to be able to finish it as I was doing the whole work every workout. But today 10x6 with 60s rest has been too much for me on the last series and 5th rep I was already all out so I had to do a push-press in order to complete all the reps, yes I cheated.
Anyway, I'm very happy with my progress and accomplishments. Before, 2x20 kg bells were my 5rm and now I can c&p them 13 times. I loved this program.
Now I think I will go for a program with more leg emphasis like DFW, TT or MT. Who knows, maybe I will try all of them.

Uhm, I think I may know why...multiple reps with progressively shorter rest periods maybe ?
I was going to say the same thing. ROFL

I was also going to add @Henda , I don't find the push press in that situation cheating at all. I would call it perseverance and overcoming the obstacle in front of you. Building mental strength and fortitude alongside the physical strength. Great job! ?

Uhm, I think I may know why...multiple reps with progressively shorter rest periods maybe ?
Yes, you're right, it is pretty simple to know why! What I meant by that was that it surprised me that phase 1 wasn't challenging and phase 2 neither until 10x5. But phase 3 has been challenging from the first workout till the last one.

Yes, you're right, it is pretty simple to know why! What I meant by that was that it surprised me that phase 1 wasn't challenging and phase 2 neither until 10x5. But phase 3 has been challenging from the first workout till the last one.
Hi Henda; I believe Geoff’s programs are little evil like that. I remember first time I was doing original Kettlebell Muscle in 2015. Medium day I did without problems, light days I was laughing, hard days…..well, I didn’t want to have anything to do with that from the start: clean to press to squat to jerk to squat…..messed me up very well from week 1. I didn’t even feel like eating afterwards. Just shower, water and sleep.

Happy Monday everyone!!!

Workout #4 of Phase 2 done. Done all sets of 4 reps and it was around 40 seconds of TUT. rest periods were approx 2 mins. I'm finding longer sets 'easier' as can find tempo and breathing. Done with workout in less than 14 mins. appetite is tremendous. Going to go and eat half of cow now.

Happy Monday everyone!!!

Workout #4 of Phase 2 done. Done all sets of 4 reps and it was around 40 seconds of TUT. rest periods were approx 2 mins. I'm finding longer sets 'easier' as can find tempo and breathing. Done with workout in less than 14 mins. appetite is tremendous. Going to go and eat half of cow now.
Yup. Phase 2 drives up the appetite!

Workout #5 done yesterday.M; repeat of Workout #1 & #3. Great, short and sweet workout. Significantly less systemic effort than when I did such workout for the first time. Things become easier when it comes to triples at this weight. Extra volume build up nicely. I start to understand what @Geoff Neupert & @John Grahill were referring to when they’ve mentioned rest and “no rush” attitude.

Back
Top Bottom