all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

I completed phase 2, long course, today with a RM test and thought I would share.

I am very happy with the results.

I used 2x24kg for the program at 62kg BW.

I broke up the sets throughout the day, GTG style, to accomodate for my schedule but still felt I got stronger.

Power to you guys still running through this program!

Phase 2 / Workout #15: week 13 of this program done. I’m really proud of myself. I’m sticking to program, not tinkering with stuff. Recovery starts to be the key for me. Eating almost clean, sleeping better and all around just trying to stay chill about things. Work doesn’t help with crazy hrs but what can you do.
Have a great weekend everyone!

Phase 2 / Workout #16: 12-Jul; all sets of 3 done. I didn't time my rest at all. Did all sets of 3 and it took me aa little bit more than 35 minutes. Was resting a lot and really focusing to get my form. Didnt break a sweat, easy workout.
Phase 2 / Workout #17: 14-Jul; sets of 5. Pushed tempt with 2 mins rests. Challenging workout.

Leg is healing well, almost no impact anymore. Guess sprain wasn't as bad as I was believing and crying about.

Weird side effect that goes on now for last 3 weeks or so: every morning i wake up and my index and middle fingers in right hand are completely numb to the point of it being painful. it takes 3-5 minutes for me to get blood flow back. Any idea what might be causing that? Only thing that change is volume of C&Ps per workout. nothing else.

Phase 2 / Workout #16: 12-Jul; all sets of 3 done. I didn't time my rest at all. Did all sets of 3 and it took me aa little bit more than 35 minutes. Was resting a lot and really focusing to get my form. Didnt break a sweat, easy workout.
Phase 2 / Workout #17: 14-Jul; sets of 5. Pushed tempt with 2 mins rests. Challenging workout.

Leg is healing well, almost no impact anymore. Guess sprain wasn't as bad as I was believing and crying about.

Weird side effect that goes on now for last 3 weeks or so: every morning i wake up and my index and middle fingers in right hand are completely numb to the point of it being painful. it takes 3-5 minutes for me to get blood flow back. Any idea what might be causing that? Only thing that change is volume of C&Ps per workout. nothing else.
Nice work.

I have no idea what would cause the numbness in your fingertips. I'm thinking get it checked out?? Is it occurring on or after training days?

@bgn if you don’t mind my asking, how would you describe your sleeping position? As in, which position and also, do you wake up with the affected arm stretch out or overhead?

Nice work.

I have no idea what would cause the numbness in your fingertips. I'm thinking get it checked out?? Is it occurring on or after training days?
Hi John; how are you?

It’s not just fingertips, whole 2 fingers are in deep state of numbness. Usually morning after workout. I’ll go and do blood work and talk to my doc.

@bgn if you don’t mind my asking, how would you describe your sleeping position? As in, which position and also, do you wake up with the affected arm stretch out or overhead?
Hi James, thanks for asking.
Not sleeping on my hand or arm, arms always below level of my head, arms not stretched out.
what concerns me is that I can’t “shake off” the numbness. I literally need to get out of bed, stand up and start to clinch and relax my fist vigorously for it to pass.
During the day it’s fine. No problems.
No problems with grip strength. No issue with range of motion. It’s just day after workout I wake up it’s very painful and “deep” numbness in my two fingers of right hand.

Phase 2 / Workout #18 - end of week #14. Done whole workout in little less than 23 minutes.
Great workout. C&P becomes my favourite exercise ever. Today 2 new 40kgs arrived. Tempted to try them out but will wait for it until January when I plan to start another STRONG cycle with 2x40kg. Anyone has idea how to translate 36kg max to 40kg capabilities?

You might try push press or C & J with the 40kg, until you can press them for 4-5 reps.

Phase 2 / Workout #19 (July 19th): terrible, terrible day. Work got in a way....Had to start work at 5am and worked for 14 straight hrs. shortly after 8pm I have squeezed my workout (did all sets with 1 mins rests just to get it out of the way) and then I didn't even feel like cooking food for myself so I have ended eating chipotle and drinking protein shakes just before bed. Glad that I sticked to it as earlier in the day I was trying to find multiple reasons as to why I can't do workout but I did it and that is my own little success.

I completed phase 2, long course, today with a RM test and thought I would share.

I am very happy with the results.

I used 2x24kg for the program at 62kg BW.

I broke up the sets throughout the day, GTG style, to accomodate for my schedule but still felt I got stronger.

Power to you guys still running through this program!

This is pretty impressive. I'd encourage you to consider doing the SFG in a year or so

Phase 2 / Workout #19 (July 19th): terrible, terrible day. Work got in a way....Had to start work at 5am and worked for 14 straight hrs. shortly after 8pm I have squeezed my workout (did all sets with 1 mins rests just to get it out of the way) and then I didn't even feel like cooking food for myself so I have ended eating chipotle and drinking protein shakes just before bed. Glad that I sticked to it as earlier in the day I was trying to find multiple reasons as to why I can't do workout but I did it and that is my own little success.
Good work on not listening to the inner voice and getting it done regardless!

Phase 2 / Workout #20: Sets of 5 today. I can fully understand statements behind STRONG or Dry Fighting Weight or Return of the Kettlebell. I see how Oly lifts combined with squats can alter one's physique without whole (you must huff and puff and puke to get ripped). Don't get me wrong - there's effort but being stronger makes things easier. That plus the fact that higher volume of clean and press really starts getting to me in a positive way. C&P is now my favourite exercise. I have reduced my "ab routine" to planks now. I do it after each workout together with arm bars. Have a great evening!

Phase 2 / Workout #21: sets of 4 starting to look as good to me as sets of 3. Really good workout. I wasn’t timing breaks at all and was done with all sets in 21:52. 15 weeks ago I could barely press this weight 4 times, now or presents no problems.
Have a good wknd!

I ended up tweaking my back during set six of the day I was planning on 9 sets of four a week ago Friday. This is Phase 2, Slow and Steady. I feel pretty much better by now; I took a week off, and I might take another one. I've been gently stretching and walking a lot.

It's certainly not the program's fault. I've been lifting in the morning for a year or two, and the whole time, I've been trying to avoid hurting my back. I just think that I don't presently tolerate this type of exercise early in the morning. It takes me back to the passage in at least one of Pavel's books about the hydration of the discs of the back in the first hour of the morning after rising.

This has motivated me to move my kettlebell training to the afternoon or evening, depending on whether it's a work day. I just liked mornings, as it was easier to keep to a regular schedule; I often train martial arts after work.

Anyway, I was thinking about how to proceed. Right now, I see two options that I would like to choose between. I could resume KB Strong!, but back up maybe a week or two in the program, or I could return to The Giant. I did the latter during the winter and early spring. I liked it, but I could feel the wear and tear during 1.2, after completing 1.0 and 1.1 prior.

One thing I like about The Giant is that I could shorten my feedback loops: I could repeat 3.0 until I'm strong enough to embark on the 1-series (with maybe 2.0 before 1.1) journey. The autoregulation in The Giant also feels more accommodating to bad days or feeling tired after work, or whatever.

On the other hand, my KB Strong! sessions tend to be a little shorter than my sessions were in The Giant (I mainly stuck to 30 minutes, but would often shorten to 20 minutes, once things started to get consistently difficult). KB Strong! will also tolerate backing off from thrice weekly to twice weekly, if conditions demand.

Thanks for reading this far. All that said, I mainly mean to ask: Do any other nuances or approaches occur to any of you? What do you do when you have to take a break in the middle of a KB Strong! cycle?

Last edited:
Phase 2 / Workout #22: sets of 3. Whole workout done in 13m41s. Feeling great but slightly tired. Time to eat!

Phase 2 / Workout #23: sets 5 done without problems. Started doing SKS before workouts and its a great warmup of the whole body. Don't know how to describe it but my whole body was correctly firing after LVL 1 of SKS. Took my sweet time with rest breaks and worked really hard on ensuring that i do C&P correctly.

Back
Top Bottom