all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Erik you could always do a four week block of the Giant, and then test a new 4-5 RM. It would only "cost" you a month of your time. Maybe your new 4-5 RM will increase. Since you will be doing a C&P focus either way, you are still putting money in the bank, so to speak.

Trying to pick one of Geoff's programs is like going to the auto show with unlimited funds, but only being able to buy one car. Can you really go wrong?

Workout # 10

Done my doubles today and tried to keep it brief. Was tired as couldn’t sleep at night and just wanted to get over with it. Did 1:5 work:rest ratio and was done in little less than 17 mins.

Hi there! Last week I finished phase 2 of Strong! And yes I achieved good results. I started with a 4 RM in phase 1 which increased up to 8 my RM (2 x 20 kg bells). After phase 2 (slow and steady) my RM is 12. I think that I could have achieved 15 reps if I had better sleep those nights.

In fact I have very poor sleep quality as I have a baby and a three year old daughter that don't sleep very well and above that I go to bed late. So many days I end up sleeping about 5 hours a day. Not enough. And I can feel the negative impact in my training as I feel week.

As an example, today doing the first workout of phase 3, for the first time, I failed completing the last two reps of the last series resting 2 minutes between series (10x6).

Anyway, this program really works. I am stronger and definitively have put some muscle on, my shirts don't fit the same way now and some are useless as they fit small!!

Last edited:
Another fan of KB Strong course here! The video cues around grip and feet placement made a huge difference for me; cleans just felt so much easier when not pre-loading my shoulders/legs.

A quick question on progression - I've just finished phases 1 and 2 (short course) with a pair of 24s for C&Ps and looking to stay with double-KBs, with the eventual aim of being able to work with double 32s (kudos to bgn, I'd settle for be able to do this programme with 32s, let alone 36s!). My rep max went from around 6/7 at the start of the programme to 11 by the end of phase 2, so definitely filing this in my 'programmes that work' folder.

I can't press double-32s yet and don't own a pair of 28s (with no chance of buying KBs in the UK for the moment!), so was wondering about running phases 1 and 2 with double-32s for the Front Squat - was interested by what Geoff says on the course about this being the base exercise for double-KB work and wondered whether this was a good way to build up to C+P doubles with this weight, or whether I'd be better-off doing higher rep work with C+Ps, like the Giant with double 24s (or some other programme)?
@JudoG - Sorry, WAY late to the party.

Glad you've experienced success with the cues.

Regarding your question - which appeals to you more? FSQs with the 2x32s? Or higher rep sets of C+Ps w/ the 24s?

That's your answer.

Hope that helps.

Hi there! Last week I finished phase 2 of Strong! And yes I achieved good results. I started with a 4 RM in phase 1 which increased up to 8 my RM (2 x 20 kg bells). After phase 2 (slow and steady) my RM is 12. I think that I could have achieved 15 reps if I had better sleep those nights.

In fact I have very poor sleep quality as I have a baby and a three year old daughter that don't sleep very well and above that I go to bed late. So many days I end up sleeping about 5 hours a day. Not enough. And I can feel the negative impact in my training as I feel week.

As an example, today doing the first workout of phase 3, for the first time, I failed completing the last two reps of the last series resting 2 minutes between series (10x6).

Anyway, this program really works. I am stronger and definitively have put some muscle on, my shirts don't fit the same way now and some are useless as they fit small!!
Nice work, @Henda !

Workout # 11. Last time doing singles. Very good workout. Slowly dealing in my food and adjusting caloric intake. Press is feeling really well and I must admit that I have no shoulder issues at all which is great given i press three times per week. Just assuming that adjusting the way I press makes a lot of difference.
Still doing “abs” religiously.
Thinking about implementing some sort of breathing exercises, can anyone recommend good source for such exercises?

Reactions: DC3
I'm also currently doing KB Strong with the Clean & Press and I'm absolutely loving it. It looks like we started at the same time as well as today was workout #11 for me. I'm using 20's which were probably a 2-3 RM at the beginning due to the fact that my left side is much weaker and I also have a nagging tweak on that side. I already feel like I'm handling them so much easier and now have zero shoulder/upper back pain on the left side. I'm really excited to see what workout 24 will bring. I'm also doing abs after each workout. I've just been using various exercises such as, dead bugs, bird dog crunches, hollow holds, and leg lifts. Usually pick 1 or 2 of those and run though 3-4 sets. What type of ab work are you adding afterwards?

@DC3 And @bgn For reference, does the program recommend ab work?

I think ab wheel and hard style plank could work?

@DC3 And @bgn For reference, does the program recommend ab work?

I think ab wheel and hard style plank could work?
I may have missed it but I don't recall seeing any abs recommendations in my copy of KB Strong. However I have several other of Geoff's programs and he is a fan of Dead Bugs, Bird Dogs and Planks. That is why I've been using those along with hollow holds. Which imo are an unbelievable ab/core work out. I do those Tabata style; 30 on, 30 off for 6 minutes. Will adjust when they get easier.

I may have missed it but I don't recall seeing any abs recommendations in my copy of KB Strong. However I have several other of Geoff's programs and he is a fan of Dead Bugs, Bird Dogs and Planks. That is why I've been using those along with hollow holds. Which imo are an unbelievable ab/core work out. I do those Tabata style; 30 on, 30 off for 6 minutes. Will adjust when they get easier.
I took my ab exercises from following pages of ebook: 13, 14, 18, 36, 37 where Geoff describes how to address problems with rack , front squat, press etc.

I hate doing abs so I stick with basics and try to get through it as quickly as I can.

I took my ab exercises from following pages of ebook: 13, 14, 18, 36, 37 where Geoff describes how to address problems with rack , front squat, press etc.

I hate doing abs so I stick with basics and try to get through it as quickly as I can.

OK, I have those as well. I thought you were mentioning a specific ab circuit. I'm only spending 5-10 minutes on abs as well. Which actually feels very effective combined with C&P.

Thanks @DC3 and @bgn . Makes sense! I actually do deadbugs on off days based on one of Geoff's suggestions re the Giant. Good to see I'm on the right track

Reactions: DC3
Workout #12 done. First time doing sets of three and it’s...easy. It’s strange that on April 4th when I tested my 4 rep max I really had to “motivate and push” myself to do rep #4 and that was all I had in the tank. Today I did all sets of 3 reps without slowing down, 2 mins breaks between sets and all reps done at exact same speed. I felt really strong - I believe I could’ve easily done set of 6 reps. Can wait to test my new max in 4 weeks time.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Workout #12 done. First time doing sets of three and it’s...easy. It’s strange that on April 4th when I tested my 4 rep max I really had to “motivate and push” myself to do rep #4 and that was all I had in the tank. Today I did all sets of 3 reps without slowing down, 2 mins breaks between sets and all reps done at exact same speed. I felt really strong - I believe I could’ve easily done set of 6 reps. Can wait to test my new max in 4 weeks time.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Shows me 2 things. 1) the program works. 2) you are obviously recovering well!

Reactions: bgn
Shows me 2 things. 1) the program works. 2) you are obviously recovering well!
Oh yes it works.
In regards of recovery: have time to eat and have time to sleep. Appetite is really through the roof and I believe I’m eating way too much at the moment but that’s something I’ll adjust post phase 1.

Hi there! I need your advice. Since I started phase 3 I am not being able to finish the workouts. In the first workout I couldn't finish the last two reps of the last series (10x6 120s rest). In the second workout (110s rest) things went worst, I couldn't finish the last two reps of the last two series. Yesterday as expected things went worst (100s rest). I did the five first series ok, but after that I was able to do only three series more of 5 and the last two of 4 reps.

What strategy should I follow, may I keep going and do what I can or should I restart the phase or adjust the resting times starting with a rest time of lets say 150 s?

Reactions: bgn
Back
Top Bottom