all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

I was just looking at Phase 1 for the time being. It would mean 10 singles at a weight you could do about 4 times and then 5 doubles on the other day to start. Of course, it would build to 10 triples over a few months.

I think if I did it 2x per week, Sun and Thurs, and set the weight for more of a 5 rep max, it might be doable.

I have never done such heavy weight for such a long period of time though, so I have zero idea how it would go after a couple months. I kinda worry that there would not be enough high rep sets and that my joints would be a mess.

I am going to finish the 6 week block of work I laid out already or keep at it till it gives me a sign it is bad or does not work (probably finish it barring some sort of injury), before undertaking Strong for squats.
Funny you're mentioning joints being a mess and injuries. That is why I have never managed to finish Smolov and gave up after week 9 as knees, hips and lower back were objecting to back squatting 4 times per week.

Phase 1, 8 weeks, highest volume per week would be 67 squats; seems achievable. Give it a go. If you dont crash then maybe I will do something similar with bells next year :)

Phase 2 / Workout #29:
warmup:
SKS
Clean + Press 12 reps @ 2x24kg
Clean + Press sets of 5, 3 and 2 reps @ 2x32kg
rest 5 mins

Weird workout - done all 10 sets of 5 but...
I did first 7 sets in 17m15s (around 45 seconds of work and 2 mins of rest) but after I finished set #7 I hit serious wall and after 2 mins of rest I wasn't even completely 'there' to do set #8. Had to extend rest periods and it took me 14 minutes to finish last 3 sets. Whole body went to 'sleep' and switched off on me and it was a real struggle to finish it.

Oh well....on to the next one, I guess you can't have it nice and easy all the time.

Phase 2 / Workout #30:
SKS
Warmup:
Complex: Row+Clean+Press+Squat x 5 reps each
rest 5 mins

Doing sets of 6. Whole workout done in little bit less than 15 minutes.

have a good weekend!

10 weeks done and 18 weeks in total done.

left with 6 weeks of phase 2 and then we start working on capacity.

Phase 2 / Workout #31:
SKS
Warmup:
Clean and Press 1x20 @2x24kg
Clean and Press 2x5 @2x32kg

Workout: sets of 4
Time: 21m38s

Felt very strong today. Sets of 4 replaced triples and I must admit that it didn’t make any difference. Was concerned after last weeks sets of 5 & 6 that I’m crashing again but whole weekend was about rest, relax and good (and healthy) food.

3 hrs before workout I two large chicken breasts, cup of rice and bag of mixed veggies.

1 hour after workout I had 1lb of ground beef (93/7), cup of black beans, salsa, sour cream and bag of mixed veggies.

Time to take my dogs for a long walk.

Phase 2 / Workout #32:
SKS
Warmup:
Clean and Press 2x12@2x24kg
Clean and Press 2x3 @2x32kg

Workout: sets of 5
Time: 26m21s

I have crashed last week doing this exact workout but today I’ve extended rest periods from 2m to 2m15s and had no problems with volume of the workout. All looks good.

Same experience over here with Phase 1 of STRONG. Really allowed me to address my form and become stronger without failing. I wonder if your plan works for you, please share your progress as it would be interesting to know how did you approach it when things got tough.

Recently purchased Neupert's Hard which came with Barbell Bolt-On. Really helped simplify what to do with my Squats and layout a road map. Squatting today involved 15 min of doubles... felt really good.

Essentially, I run Strong Phase 1 as written and do the Bolt-On Squat, DL, and Zercher Squats after the Strong Workout. Feel great and the 24's I was using are flying up. About half done Phase 1 and am looking forward to 2.

Phase 2 / Workout #33 (Aug 27th):
SKS
Warmup:
Complex: Rows+Clean+Press+Squat done twice with double 24kgs

Workout: sets of 6
Time: 21m

Phase 2 / Workout #34:
SKS - doing level 3 of Phase 1
Warmup:
Complex: Clean+Press+Squat - 5 reps each, 2 sets, 2x24kg

Time: 18m25s

Phase 2 / Workout #35:
SKS
Warmup:
Complex: Clean+Press+Squat - 5 reps each, 2 sets, 2x24kg

Time: 24m35s

Phase 2 / Workout #36: there was no SKS or warm-up today as I didn’t sleep at all. At 4am I gave up an idea that I’ll go to sleep and got up, took dogs for a good run, came back, grabbed my bells from under the bed and did sets of 6 as quickly as I could. Shower, breakfast and time to go to work. Have a great weekend everyone!

Phase 2 / Workout #29:
warmup:
SKS
Clean + Press 12 reps @ 2x24kg
Clean + Press sets of 5, 3 and 2 reps @ 2x32kg
rest 5 mins

Weird workout - done all 10 sets of 5 but...
I did first 7 sets in 17m15s (around 45 seconds of work and 2 mins of rest) but after I finished set #7 I hit serious wall and after 2 mins of rest I wasn't even completely 'there' to do set #8. Had to extend rest periods and it took me 14 minutes to finish last 3 sets. Whole body went to 'sleep' and switched off on me and it was a real struggle to finish it.

Oh well....on to the next one, I guess you can't have it nice and easy all the time.
@bgn That has happened to me many times and still does .... moving right along then "bam" complete fatigue! It improves over time.

Reactions: bgn
@bgn That has happened to me many times and still does .... moving right along then "bam" complete fatigue! It improves over time.
Funny you mention that. It seems that I always hit the wall around 70% in. Wonder if there’s any scientific validation for having trouble with last 30% of workout. But you’re right about it getting better. Today was workout #37 of Phase 2 and it’s the first workout where sets of 5 are moved from Wednesdays to Mondays. Perhaps extra day of rest played big part of it but I have done all sets with only 2 mins of rest. So it took only 8 workouts to achieve what I wanted too early.

Phase 2 / Workout #37:
SKS
Warmup:
Complex: DSW+DSN+DCL+DMP 5 reps @ 2x24kg
Complex: Rows+DCL+DMP+FSQ 3 reps @ 2x32kg

Time: 23m00

Phase 2 / Workout #38:
SKS
Warmup:
C&P 15 reps @ 2x24kg
C&P 8 reps @ 2x32kg

Time: 16m59s

Phase 2 / Workout #39:
SKS
Warmup:
C&P 2x10 reps @ 2x24kg
C&P 2x6 reps @ 2x32kg

Workout: sets of 6
Time: 21m15s

Phase 2 / Workout #40:
SKS
Warmup:
Complex: Rows+DCL+DMP+FSQ 2 x 6 reps @ 2x24kg

Time: 22m51s

Just bought myself Kettlebell STRONG! (As well as HARD! and EXPRESS!) looking forward to getting started.

My 24s are a 3-5RM C+P and I like the idea of running through STRONG! with them, then The GIANT 1, 1.1, 1.2, then onto HARD! complexes.

Just taking one set of bells as far as they can get me. At that point I’ll consider 32s, 28s or moving to Wendlers 5/3/1 keeping the KBs for assistance.

Last edited:
Just bought myself Kettlebell STRONG! (As well as HARD! and EXPRESS!) looking forward to getting started.

My 24s are a 3-5RM C+P and I like the idea of running through STRONG! with them, then The GIANT 1, 1.1, 1.2, then onto HARD! complexes.

Just taking one set of bells as far as they can get me. At that point I’ll consider 32s, 28s or moving to Wendlers 5/3/1 keeping the KBs for assistance.

I am planning to do something similar. Nearly finished Phase 1 and 24's are feeling pretty light. Will have to test next week but have gone from 3-5 to around 10 reps with them. Onto Phase 2 which I notice builds up to 10x6 which is pretty high, but I am confident in the program.

Will definitely do Strong 2 and 3 then might look at either running it over again with 28's or 32's... or perhaps try the Giant or the Wolf.

I hadn’t even realised there was a phase 2/3! I might actually move onto them depending on workout situation.

At the moment I workout throughout the day as I can’t find a 20-30 minute block to train in but can squeeze some sets in during work.

I guess if my situation is the same I might progress through STRONG! or if I end up working out in a 20-30 min period on my lunch or before work I’ll switch to The GIANT.

I hadn’t even realised there was a phase 2/3! I might actually move onto them depending on workout situation.

At the moment I workout throughout the day as I can’t find a 20-30 minute block to train in but can squeeze some sets in during work.

I guess if my situation is the same I might progress through STRONG! or if I end up working out in a 20-30 min period on my lunch or before work I’ll switch to The GIANT.
Either program is good. Strong delivers strength gains consistently for me. Currently doing the Strong program with two dumbbells and it's going really well! I'm pretty certain you could use the Strong template using any type of exercise and/or implements (barbells, dumbbells, kegs, etc) and progress.

Phase 2 / Workout #41:
SKS
Warmup:
C&P 15 reps @ 2x24kg
C&P 6 reps @ 2x32kg
C&P 1 rep @ 2x40kg

Time: 16m30s

Back
Top Bottom