all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Seconded! I was planning on moving onto another program or potentially re-running strong for Front Squats at the end of Phase 1 but now I’m considering the Slow and Steady phase 2 instead.

Reactions: bgn
BGN, did you do a rest or deload week between phases of Strong? Do you recommend one?

That's a clue then that deadbugs are good for you at the moment..

Have you tried doing more segmental rolling too? Remember that rolling is the first locomotion movement learned
Hi Mark; yes, locomotion of SKS helps me a lot. I do Deadbugs, Egg Rolls and Head Led rolls as outlined by Geoff and it really helps. I mean:
A. It relaxes me
B. My nervous system is firing so well, my body is in sync.

As per Geoff’s advise, I started doing SKS before STRONG as some sort of warm-up and I’ve seen huge improvements in how well I get into complete focus and how easily is for me to get into rhythm.

What kind of other movements/rolling you have in mind?

I noticed those "rib muscle" things when I did RM tests too. The Giant Program also made me "feel" them when the reps went beyond 6!
Oh well….as you said previously, 6 reps and more and that’s where fun begins. How’s Giant worked for you compared to STRONG?

BGN, did you do a rest or deload week between phases of Strong? Do you recommend one?
Hi @Ronzi !

No deload. I’ve just rested.

After finishing Phase 1 I’d immediately jumped into Slow & Steady of Phase 2. That was a mistake as “test” day really did one on me and I don’t respond very well when volume training is interrupted with max intensity. I would have had taken week off to recover and regroup. I was pushing through Phase 2 workouts, but I felt like digging myself out of the hole and was tired by each Friday. Opportunity to have small holidays presented itself and I took week off during Phase 2; all I did is SKS & a lot of hiking in beautiful Oklahoma. Came back and was able to push.

Now I’m done with Phase 2 and taking week off just to recover. Will do Phase 2 of SKS and just chill (biking, maybe swimming) and allow body to heal.

Don’t know you so it would be really hard for me to advise you about deloading. There are significantly more knowledgable people over here to provide you with their input. I know there are benefits of deloading but I personally always was a big believer of “why bother”. Few extra days of rest after putting huge effort week after week won’t hurt. After phase 1 you’ll know if your form is there or not, you’ll figure out how to recover when you pull to low or don’t generate enough tension to push away when doing presses. I always try to rest and my body always rewards me for it; I didn’t have any major soreness when coming back.

I would rest. But that’s me ;)

Congrats @bgn

I remember we started phase 1 exactly at the same time.
I then switched to DFW and The Giant 3.0 as I felt my RM was not comfortable enough to transition to Phase 2.

The reason for it was that I started with too heavy weights in the first place. But 2x24kg is all I had and so I sucked it up.

Currently doing Giant 1.0 with these and feeling great. Planning to continue with 1.1 and 1.2

Your consistency and dedication to KB Strong is a great inspiration and I’ll probably try to do the same with heavier weights in the future.
Hey @Jean-Marie ! How are you? Still on the ship?

Thanks mate but consistency was generated by this forum and Geoff’s support behind the scenes!

Consistency trumps intensity….I guess.

Glad you’re having fun with Giant. How good it gets for you? I understand that it builds through ladders and once top rung is achieved you push to get rest periods down, so it becomes self regulated waviness of cycles. Is that correct? Intrigued.

Hope all good at your end!

Stay safe!

Oh well….as you said previously, 6 reps and more and that’s where fun begins. How’s Giant worked for you compared to STRONG?
Well, both programs are great. In some ways I prefer Strong because each individual workout has a prescribed amount of sets/reps. The Giant Program is nice because the majority of Giant programs call for a 10RM which is a little less fatiguing but the volume can get to you quickly if you don't manage it correctly. I think I've discovered a possible way.....using the 20/25/30/25 minute session per each week but I'll try that at a later time....possibly with one bell next.

I just finished my attempt at "Dumbbell Strong" and had some success with it......You can't really go wrong with either protocol.

Thanks for the response, BGN. Yes, I think a deload week would be in order. I also started SKS, and I love it. I think a combo of SKS and light active recovery would be a good apporoach after test days.

BLUF: 56 yom takes a shaky 3RM military press and turns it into a solid 10RM C&P using STRONG. I left a rep in the tank and probably could have gotten 2 reps after that if you had a gun to my head.

Background: Picked up a kettlebell for the first time two years ago. Had been sedentary for the last decade, was 255+ lbs and got out of breath tying my shoes. Started with a 16kg and did Pavel’s 5 week whole body single KB program. Moved on to S&S and stayed with it until I could do timeless with a 24kg. Then ran ROP with the 24kg. Returned to S&S and continued until timeless with the 32kg. Started STRONG with the 32kg only being able to do 2 solid and 1 shaky rep.

I ran this program 2 days a week for the last 9 months. I took an extra day off when I felt tired. I missed a week here and there for work and travel. On those occasions, I repeated the last full week I completed when I restarted. I did not do a RM test after Phase 1--started right into Phase 2 Slow and Steady. I did STRONG on Mondays and Thursdays. I did A+A swings on Tuesdays and Fridays, and a 20% BW ruck on Saturdays for 60+ mins. Wednesdays and Sundays were days off. I am down to 235 lbs, resting HR around 55, blood pressure 114/74.

Where to go next? I am torn between attempting the GIANT with 32’s or doing Soju and Tuba with 40kg.

Hi Mark; yes, locomotion of SKS helps me a lot. I do Deadbugs, Egg Rolls and Head Led rolls as outlined by Geoff and it really helps. I mean:
A. It relaxes me
B. My nervous system is firing so well, my body is in sync.

As per Geoff’s advise, I started doing SKS before STRONG as some sort of warm-up and I’ve seen huge improvements in how well I get into complete focus and how easily is for me to get into rhythm.

What kind of other movements/rolling you have in mind?
I'd do the segmental and elevated rolls

Reactions: bgn
Hey @Jean-Marie ! How are you? Still on the ship?

Thanks mate but consistency was generated by this forum and Geoff’s support behind the scenes!

Consistency trumps intensity….I guess.

Glad you’re having fun with Giant. How good it gets for you? I understand that it builds through ladders and once top rung is achieved you push to get rest periods down, so it becomes self regulated waviness of cycles. Is that correct? Intrigued.

Hope all good at your end!

Stay safe!
Hey @bgn !

I’m fine. I had a wonderful summer and now back on board for work. 12 weeks on the ship.
Planning to go through Giant 1.0-1.1-1.2.
Trying to eat more and overcoming the fear of gaining too much fat. I need the food in this rep range if I want to be ready to access the next phases.

The Giant is based on autoregulation. The workout duration remains the same and you have to do what you can and try to improve from week to week (which normally happens) It’s quite enjoyable even if I like nice and round numbers, I tend to “plan” my volume ahead on time, but some people do it only by instinct and do not even count the number of sets.

Ship’s rolling was a pain on my last voyage. But since my pair of bells is a 10RM+ now. It’s more unexpected fun to deal with.

If I survive this, I think I’ll keep playing with the 24kg some more with complexes (still from @Geoff Neupert ‘s programs) and start over at Strong Phase 1 with a heavier pair sometime next year.

Be well friend !

@bgn , what a great thread! Thanks for posting all of this.

3-14 reps with a pair of 36kg's is an astonishing improvement. Out of curiosity (there's a mastery of the obvious, if I wasn't curious, I wouldn't be asking....), how old/heavy/tall are you? Did you lose/gain weight? I'm 51, and 5'-10" tall and weigh about 210....(though I probably SHOULD way 200; and would if I could stay away from Cool Ranch Doritos at lunch and a beer or 2 in the evenings....); and spent about 6-months on various Giant blocks (including a couple with just front squats) using 32-40kg pairs (though the 40's were a little "push pressey", if I had to be completely honest) and never got to anything like a 14-rep max with the 36's..... I'm laying off now trying to let some golfer's elbow settle down.

Week 1 of phase two slow and steady, sets of 4 began today. It seems that no matter how I warm up that the 3rd sets always feels the best with the target weight.
Using 62s, test last week was not what I hoping. Maxed at 8 good reps, tried again five minutes later and got 6 good reps. In all honesty I didn't even know what my max was eight weeks before, likely it was 3-4 reps so in light of that I doubled in 8 weeks. I just know at the end of this next phase I want to be able to smoke a set of 10-12. What's weird is that I can get two good C&P reps with 70 already.
Doesn't matter because we keep on "repeat until Strong" right.
Fighting weakness!

Week 1 of phase two slow and steady, sets of 4 began today. It seems that no matter how I warm up that the 3rd sets always feels the best with the target weight.
Using 62s, test last week was not what I hoping. Maxed at 8 good reps, tried again five minutes later and got 6 good reps. In all honesty I didn't even know what my max was eight weeks before, likely it was 3-4 reps so in light of that I doubled in 8 weeks. I just know at the end of this next phase I want to be able to smoke a set of 10-12. What's weird is that I can get two good C&P reps with 70 already.
Fighting weakness!
Amazing progress! Well done!

Fighting weakness!
Archer, I think I agree with your assessment....you were probably like 3 or 4 reps at the start of phase 1. The great thing is you are at 8 now and started in on phase 2. Phase 2 is where the body comp changes began for me when I ran it! In 16 weeks you'll be quite pleased!

Back
Top Bottom