all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

@bgn , what a great thread! Thanks for posting all of this.

3-14 reps with a pair of 36kg's is an astonishing improvement. Out of curiosity (there's a mastery of the obvious, if I wasn't curious, I wouldn't be asking....), how old/heavy/tall are you? Did you lose/gain weight? I'm 51, and 5'-10" tall and weigh about 210....(though I probably SHOULD way 200; and would if I could stay away from Cool Ranch Doritos at lunch and a beer or 2 in the evenings....); and spent about 6-months on various Giant blocks (including a couple with just front squats) using 32-40kg pairs (though the 40's were a little "push pressey", if I had to be completely honest) and never got to anything like a 14-rep max with the 36's..... I'm laying off now trying to let some golfer's elbow settle down.
So many personal question...feels like Tinder...LOL :)

how old/heavy/tall are you? - 40yo / yesterday morning on empty stomach 241 lbs / 6'1.

Did you lose/gain weight? - lost 17 lbs or so but would be a lot more if I wouldn't f-around with my 'diet'. 17 lbs are result of being in-sync for several weeks and fuelling my body while pushing for numbers at the end of Phase 2. I'm not carbophobe, given enough 'runs' to Keto diet but it always took away more than it has given me. Guess I don't run as efficiently on fat as 90% of internet.

When it comes to elbow, same here. I had my elbow fractured back in 2002 and I carry it with me all the time since then but it is what it is. Week of rest will calm it enough to run 6 weeks of Phase 3.

3 to 14 - I personally expected a little bit more so there was some sort of disappointment once initial 'hurrah' disappeared. I really wanted to have 15+ but I think I should be happy with 14. More surprising was taking 2x40kgs from perceived 1 to easy 5.

I will roll into Phase 3 next week and still not sure about The One but I guess I will do it just to ensure that my swings translate into better cleans....always give & take as I get older, cant pursue multiple qualities anymore.

I believe I have another couple of years in me with that kind of training. Definitely will run STRONG with double 40kgs - that will be first half of 2022. Then it would be really awesome to see if I can do it with 2x48kgs, and that will be the end of 2022 and start of 2023.

What can I say. Works for me. Really like C&P. SKS complements STRONG and allows me to work on my issues/injuries. Getting stronger and bigger whilst not squatting....sign me in.

Last edited:
I'm up to workout #12 of phase Two. I'm surprised that I am still recovering quite well, getting stronger actually. I was concerned that I might not recover enough to go three sessions a week with the constant increase in volume. Geoff Nuepert's programming is genius and I'm progressing on schedule with the 62's.
Don't know where I'll go from here; probably phase three and then follow that with RMF or Giant 3.0 with 70's.

In the dvd of Enter The Kettlebell, at the very end Pavel tells a story about a guy from the old country who goes into the store to buy coffee. In the old country it was either, coffee, or NO coffee. But here in America there were 200 varieties of coffee and so he had a nervous breakdown.
Just joking! I love all of the GREAT options that we have.

Last edited:
The program says that Phase 2 can be done twice a week, if you have trouble recovering from three times a week. Is the same true for Phase 1?

The program says that Phase 2 can be done twice a week, if you have trouble recovering from three times a week. Is the same true for Phase 1?
I ran both phases as 2x per week and took a 3 RM to 10RM. Doing it as programmed will get you there quicker but I didn't miss any days due to being tired or injured.
Right, that's the back up plan. Just glad that I haven't had to go there (yet).

I think the only time phase 1 is recommended for 2x per week is if you do 2 "One" Program workouts per week.......BUT
I ran both phases as 2x per week and took a 3 RM to 10RM. Doing it as programmed will get you there quicker but I didn't miss any days due to being tired or injured.
......it apparently works 2x per too!

I think the only time phase 1 is recommended for 2x per week is if you do 2 "One" Program workouts per week.......BUT

......it apparently works 2x per too!
That's kinda what I was thinking, too. Phase 1 starts out with pretty low volume, which is why I was wondering.
I'd prefer to stick with it three times a week, but I wondered about the tolerance for lower frequency, in a pinch.

So far I have ran through Strong Phase 1 and Phase 2, using double 24's. And I have about 4 more workouts till I complete Phase 3. My RM has gone from about 4-5 to 15.

Essentially, I was doing a Deadlift Variation using Barbell Bolt On (the 2nd option) then doing Strong. Did this 3x per week. Worked really good during Phase 1 and 2.

During Phase 3, I was starting to dread the workout. 10 sets of 6 every workout, after deadlifts, was getting quite mentally draining during this phase. So I switched to doing Deadlifts 2x per week and Strong 3 2x per week on different days. This was a nice change and seems to be working well.

Will probably finish this in a couple of weeks. Next Year I am going to rerun the whole thing with 28's. And eventually with 32's. The progress has been really good. I started at about a 4 plate per side deadlift and am eyeing 5 in the not too distant future. Not bad considering I have never really done them before. My upper back, shoulders, and arms are noticeably more muscular. Probably would have lost weight if I hadn't cheated so much on my diet recently, but I am starving all the time, not sure if this is from the workouts or what.

It is going to be our summer vacation here in Australia soon. Looking for a KB program to run over the summer to help me keep in shape. Something to help me rejuvenate a bit after such a long haul, but also keep fit if not improve a bit. Open to both single and double kb program ideas. A really regulated 4-5 week program with a variety of exercises is what I was thinking.

I started at about a 4 plate per side deadlift and am eyeing 5 in the not too distant future. Not bad considering I have never really done them before.
Did you just say you started doing deadlifts at 400 pounds and have never really done them before?! And within 3 months you’re getting close to 500?!

When it came to deadlifts, I had an interesting experience a few years ago. Last time I seriously dedicated myself to KB Strong!, I went into the gym, on a whim, and worked on my DL. I don't remember the numbers, but they compared well to the last time I had done PTP DLs. I think that all the heavy(-ish) cleans helped my DL

Separate question: On this round of KB Strong!, I tested my 5RM hence: I did a set of 5 with 20s, a 10-minute rest, a set of 5 with 24s, then a 10-minute rest, then tested my RM with 28s. It was 1. My training weight is 24s.

I'm about 4 sessions away from my RM test and feeling good. I'm thinking about testing in the same manner as before this cycle. What do you think? Is it okay to use the next KBs as my RM test?

Last edited:
Did you just say you started doing deadlifts at 400 pounds and have never really done them before?! And within 3 months you’re getting close to 500?!

Been lifting off and on for about 30 years. Lots of squatting over the last decade. I have done DL occasionally like just loaded up a bar and did my squat weight with it from time to time. ATM I can do 210kg, so I guess 5 plates is 220kg. I find squats carry over directly to DL. Can not say whether the reverse is true, yet.

Great progress!

Good to hear something positive about the barbell bolt on too which is something I want to utilise in the future.

When it came to deadlifts, I had an interesting experience a few years ago. Last time I seriously dedicated myself to KB Strong!, I went into the gym, on a whim, and worked on my DL. I don't remember the numbers, but they compared well to the last time I had done PTP DLs. I think that all the heavy(-ish) cleans helped my DL

Separate question: On this round of KB Strong!, I tested my 5RM hence: I did a set of 5 with 20s, a 10-minute rest, a set of 5 with 24s, then a 10-minute rest, then tested my RM with 28s. It was 1. My training weight is 24s.

I'm about 4 sessions away from my RM test and feeling good. I'm thinking about testing in the same manner as before this cycle. What do you think? Is it okay to use the next KBs as my RM test?
Just my recommendation. ... use the bells you're training with for your rep test.

How do you manage rest between sets? I am using talk test to decide if I can start the next set. Typically that's quite less. How do you guys go about it?

And between days? My body recovers well and i go ahead and do it on consecutive days. However, when I felt my body needed rest, I took a days rest. What are the views around rest between days for this?

In phase 1, I take long rests. It's a pure strength phase. Two minutes between singles and 3 between the others.
I've been reading about this and there seems to be conflicting views on strength work and long rests. The way I am approaching is that if by shorter rest periods, i can increase my conditioning, my strength is also increasing.

I've been reading about this and there seems to be conflicting views on strength work and long rests. The way I am approaching is that if by shorter rest periods, i can increase my conditioning, my strength is also increasing.
Well, give it a shot!

I found that when I tried to "rush" through phase 1, it didn't really help me reduce the rest periods in phase 2 and led me to injury.

But, we are all different and you may make great gains doing it!

Well, give it a shot!

I found that when I tried to "rush" through phase 1, it didn't really help me reduce the rest periods in phase 2 and led me to injury.

But, we are all different and you may make great gains doing it!
Only one way to find out ... hopefully without any injury ;)

Just my recommendation. ... use the bells you're training with for your rep test.
In my experience, I only really have one valid rep max test in me on a given day. Even with ten minutes or more in between, any others are not going to be a valid result.

I have tested with a bell up from my working bell to see where I stand with it, but not on the same day as rep max tests with other weights.

Back
Top Bottom