all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

I would step back too and recommend to step back to a one of the low rep high set days as, from experience, the bells can feel a fair bit heavier first workout back after illness so a higher rep set can end up with bad form/even failure whereas you should comfortably still be able to hit the low rep day sets.

mvikred, 9x5 done. I added 30 seconds to my clock today. I had been doing sets on a 3 minute clock. The previous session my rep speed slowed slightly in one of the latter sets. I don't know if it was fatigue or if my mind wasn't focused on the set. Either way, I did todays sets on a 3:30 clock.

Although early in phase 1 I added a few things here and there but by the time I got to sets of three I haven't wanted or needed to add anything to STRONG.
Archer, when you say you did sets on a 3:00 clock or 3:30 clock, you mean you do a set every 3 or 3 and a half minutes, correct?

Archer, when you say you did sets on a 3:00 clock or 3:30 clock, you mean you do a set every 3 or 3 and a half minutes, correct?
Yes sir, I start the new set on the beeper at clock.
When I was on sets of (3), I did those on a 2:30 ( two minutes- thirty second repeat.
Sets of 4 I’m good for every three minute repeat, and so on.
Right now I just want to be able to finish every set. When get to 10x6, I’ll worry about condensing time then. Right now I just want to finish without getting fatigued out to where I can’t finish a set or the remaining sets.

Yes sir, I start the new set on the beeper at clock.
When I was on sets of (3), I did those on a 2:30 ( two minutes- thirty second repeat.
Sets of 4 I’m good for every three minute repeat, and so on.
Right now I just want to be able to finish every set. When get to 10x6, I’ll worry about condensing time then. Right now I just want to finish without getting fatigued out to where I can’t finish a set or the remaining sets.
I understand this completely. Doing sets of 5 and 6 I need closer to 3 minutes between sets at times. I did them with two or less minutes like 6 years ago but don't want to push it like that now with heavier weight.

I believe that meant a set every 3 minutes
I believe that meant a set every 3 minutes
Yes, just like EMOM just different time allotted.
Right now I’m the monkey that lives by the clock.
However, when I finish a set, I shake it out (fast and loose drills) until recovered, there is always an extra 1-1/2 or 2 minutes left on the clock. So far I have just chosen to use the remaining time before beginning he next set. I don’t want to fry out the muscles and central nervous system (fatigue to failure).
The goal right now is to complete every rep every set.

4 more weeks of phase 2. Man some days I just don’t have the legs and the clean is hard part and the presses seem to fly up.
Probably not going to do phase 3.
I’m leaning toward RMF 12 weeks with the same size I’m using for Strong (28kg) and after that Giant 3 (single arm) with the next size bell (32).

Hi everyone,

I'm working through Phase 2 Slow and Steady with a pair of 24s right now. Sometimes, I need to let the rest periods go a bit over the 1-2 minutes prescribed in the book. After spending some time with The Giant, and the autoregulation therein, I'm kind of thinking about these days where I need longer rests as another kind of autoregulation.

What do you think about that? In Phase 2 of KB Strong!, is it okay to sometimes take longer than 1-2 minutes of rest between sets? I think I've seen others comment that they sometimes do this, but I'd like to revisit the topic.

Hi everyone,

I'm working through Phase 2 Slow and Steady with a pair of 24s right now. Sometimes, I need to let the rest periods go a bit over the 1-2 minutes prescribed in the book. After spending some time with The Giant, and the autoregulation therein, I'm kind of thinking about these days where I need longer rests as another kind of autoregulation.

What do you think about that? In Phase 2 of KB Strong!, is it okay to sometimes take longer than 1-2 minutes of rest between sets? I think I've seen others comment that they sometimes do this, but I'd like to revisit the topic.
I am not a trainer but it is my opinion that it is ok to do it at this point.
I’m near the end of phase 2 myself (3 more weeks after tomorrow’s session).
My thoughts are that I don’t want to “fry out” or fatigue out to where I can’t complete all reps every set.
I’ll worry about shaving time off when I get to 10x6.
Right now for instance on sets of four I start a new set every 3 minutes.
Sets of five I have my timer set at 3-1/2 minutes.
And thus far on sets of six, I have repeated the next set at 4-1/2 minutes.
That timer includes doing the set and then resting for the remainder of set time.
I do feel recovered and ready to go with at least 2 minutes left on the clock but I’ve been taking advantage of the time so I don’t stall out.
All of this is about a 1:5-6 ratio of work to rest.
Again, I am not a trainer so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Edit: I'm also 54 years old now so I may need more recovery than the younger fellows.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Yes I think so but like Archer I'm no trainer. I needed 3 + minutes between sets at times and made the effort to shave off time as the program progressed.

Hi everyone,

When I did it, I didn't even look at a clock...I just waited until I KNEW that I could get every rep of the next set.

A quick update to share. I got done with Phase 1 of KB Strong with the double 28kg KBs. Today was RM test day and I was able to hit 8 reps of double C&P with 1 more rep left in the tank if I pushed really hard (with compromised form as my HR already reached 175bpm during the 8th rep). I started the program with 4 reps as my RM. Really happy with the progress.

I am in a dilemma, that maybe a few folks here can shed some light on. I wanted to take a bit of a break from double KB work before starting Phase 2 (slow and steady). I was thinking a month's break. Would that be too much of a break and would I lose any of the gains that I made in Phase 1, if I took that much of a break? Any thoughts/suggestions @Geoff Neupert ? I re-read the KB Strong program and it does not mention if one can take a break between Phase 1 and Phase 2.

A quick update to share. I got done with Phase 1 of KB Strong with the double 28kg KBs. Today was RM test day and I was able to hit 8 reps of double C&P with 1 more rep left in the tank if I pushed really hard (with compromised form as my HR already reached 175bpm during the 8th rep). I started the program with 4 reps as my RM. Really happy with the progress.

I am in a dilemma, that maybe a few folks here can shed some light on. I wanted to take a bit of a break from double KB work before starting Phase 2 (slow and steady). I was thinking a month's break. Would that be too much of a break and would I lose any of the gains that I made in Phase 1, if I took that much of a break? Any thoughts/suggestions @Geoff Neupert ? I re-read the KB Strong program and it does not mention if one can take a break between Phase 1 and Phase 2.
From Return of the Kettlebell:

"Issurin and Lustig (2004) have summarized these training residuals. According to the study, while maximum strength (both hypertrophy and neural factors) hangs in there for 30 + 5 days, strength endurance (determined by, among other variables, the slow-twitch fibers’ hypertrophy) peters out twice as fast after only 15 + 5 days."

When I was doing this program and had to take a break for longer than two weeks, I just repeated the last full week I completed before the break. Unless you are training for a specific event on a specific date what does it matter?

When I was doing this program and had to take a break for longer than two weeks, I just repeated the last full week I completed before the break. Unless you are training for a specific event on a specific date what does it matter?
No event in mind, so nothing holding me back. And I completely agree with your suggestion. Thanks for sharing the section from ROTK.

I have done Strong multiple times. Just me but I wouldn't skip a month. A week maybe??

I'm no expert so I certainly could be wrong.

Training had a slight bump in the road. Last week (Jan-3) I didn’t feel like myself all day, figured I just didn’t rest well the night before so I just drank extra coffee during the day but when it was go time for Kettlebells, I was still wiped out.
So for the first time in nearly six months, I couldn’t do doubles c&p.
Workout number 40 all I could muster was single arm c&p.
I got them done but it wiped me out. By night time I was running fever which lasted most of the next day.
No fever since Tuesday lasted week but I still had a busting headache for several days.
Wife was sick too by the end of the week. She tested positive for covid. She is fine now and will return to work tomorrow.
But... I ended up taking the rest of the week off last week even though I felt able by Friday.
Today was the first day back and man it was a killer. I just repeated workout #40 and will pick up where I left off. Today was weak though. I alternated between sets of doubles and singles. Still got all the reps, I just didn’t have all doubles in me today. Still fatigued. I never got tested myself but I bet I had it since my wife had it.
Maybe Wednesday will be better. Just 8 more sessions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom