all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Training had a slight bump in the road. Last week (Jan-3) I didn’t feel like myself all day, figured I just didn’t rest well the night before so I just drank extra coffee during the day but when it was go time for Kettlebells, I was still wiped out.
So for the first time in nearly six months, I couldn’t do doubles c&p.
Workout number 40 all I could muster was single arm c&p.
I got them done but it wiped me out. By night time I was running fever which lasted most of the next day.
No fever since Tuesday lasted week but I still had a busting headache for several days.
Wife was sick too by the end of the week. She tested positive for covid. She is fine now and will return to work tomorrow.
But... I ended up taking the rest of the week off last week even though I felt able by Friday.
Today was the first day back and man it was a killer. I just repeated workout #40 and will pick up where I left off. Today was weak though. I alternated between sets of doubles and singles. Still got all the reps, I just didn’t have all doubles in me today. Still fatigued. I never got tested myself but I bet I had it since my wife had it.
Maybe Wednesday will be better. Just 8 more sessions.
I'd take a week off.

Just do restoration work and walk. Eat. Sleep. Relax. Laugh.

Restart Phase 2.

Hope that helps.

@Archer I think the advice you got was solid. He gave me the same advice back in 2015. I forget the exact reason but I think I derailed after getting a bad cold. I wondered where I should restart as I was almost 1/3 of the way completed with the slow and steady and I missedike 2 weeks and came back weaker.....Geoff said start over. Best thing I ever did....I started over and rocked it and made some of my best training gains ever!

@Archer I think the advice you got was solid. He gave me the same advice back in 2015. I forget the exact reason but I think I derailed after getting a bad cold. I wondered where I should restart as I was almost 1/3 of the way completed with the slow and steady and I missedike 2 weeks and came back weaker.....Geoff said start over. Best thing I ever did....I started over and rocked it and made some of my best training gains ever!
I’m thinking it’s solid advice from both Geoff and Steve.
It’s been a long road on slow and steady with 40 workouts checked off.
I do think I could come back with the short coarse and be fine. But I will listen to my body and make sure I’m ready to come back.
I appreciate all of the very solid advice.

I am in the second to last week of phase 2 with 2x32kg... not sure what to do next. With the rest periods I have been using I don't think I could hack it with the third phase unless I dropped the weight down during the course of the sessions (which I might do, starting with 2x32kg and taking it as far as I can and dropping to 2x28/24 as needed)...

That being said, I am also considering the ONE program, I haven't seen much discussion of it. Being a shorter person, I might do it with 2H swings with one bell as opposed to double swings, though as double swings with 2x24kg leave me with an awkwardly wide stance. I do like the appeal where this is a 5-weeker.

However, I'm also considering taking on The Wolf/DFW/Total Tension or Moving Target... not sure, though. Strong has been very effective but I do like the idea of mixing it up for my mind with a complex oriented element for a tad more variety, additionally, I could also hit ONE once I was finished with whichever complex program or DFW, if I want.

I am in the second to last week of phase 2 with 2x32kg... not sure what to do next. With the rest periods I have been using I don't think I could hack it with the third phase unless I dropped the weight down during the course of the sessions (which I might do, starting with 2x32kg and taking it as far as I can and dropping to 2x28/24 as needed)...

That being said, I am also considering the ONE program, I haven't seen much discussion of it. Being a shorter person, I might do it with 2H swings with one bell as opposed to double swings, though as double swings with 2x24kg leave me with an awkwardly wide stance. I do like the appeal where this is a 5-weeker.

However, I'm also considering taking on The Wolf/DFW/Total Tension or Moving Target... not sure, though. Strong has been very effective but I do like the idea of mixing it up for my mind with a complex oriented element for a tad more variety, additionally, I could also hit ONE once I was finished with whichever complex program or DFW, if I want.
I am running the slow and steady ph2 with double 28s now and I do miss the lower body work. So i add a few sets of goblet squats at the end of my Strong session. So if you are missing some of the lower body work then the programs you picked will all help you fill that gap - could also be great for conditioning !

I am running the slow and steady ph2 with double 28s now and I do miss the lower body work. So i add a few sets of goblet squats at the end of my Strong session. So if you are missing some of the lower body work then the programs you picked will all help you fill that gap - could also be great for conditioning !
When you're done with that, I can guarantee you'll be in for a pleasant surprise what's next :)

During earlier weeks, I would often add a squat movement at the end of the session however I would mirror @Mark Limbaga in that the double C&P does more than enough for the lower body. However, I did find it helpful on the earlier portions where the sets called for were 3 or 4 reps.

How many times can you clean and jerk the 2x24kg? I'm currently running the program this way. It really gets the heart rate up.

I'm on phase 2, workout 14 (5x5). I like it becasue I feel like even the 1/4 squat portion of the jerk gets the legs involved.

How many times can you clean and jerk the 2x24kg? I'm currently running the program this way. It really gets the heart rate up.
I must say, I've never even tried the clean and jerk! I'm pretty confident on C&P, Snatch, Swing etc but I've never done a jerk.

All of the kb moves require paying attention to your technique. Even the swing can be a challenging move to a beginner. There are a lot of ques to remember. I really like the jerk because it has an extra layer difficulty, so I really have to be in the moment and pay attention.

I too in a sense miss the lower body work, at least I think I do. I usually do a few sets of goblet squats as a part of warmup but I don’t count that because I use light bell and usually only do one semi-heavy set after a few light sets.
I am two sessions away from the final max set day (workout #48). I’ll be honest, I have stuck with this program strictly and as the work continually increase, my legs didn’t want anyone. Of course I getting old may be the reason for that lol.
I had been wanting to go straight to another program as soon as I finish this one but I’ve been thinking about running phase two again- the short course this time. Right now that where I’m leaning.
But I agree with you on the lower body stuff. I think I want more squats and lunges and even get ups again which has a lunge built in.

I too in a sense miss the lower body work, at least I think I do. I usually do a few sets of goblet squats as a part of warmup but I don’t count that because I use light bell and usually only do one semi-heavy set after a few light sets.
I am two sessions away from the final max set day (workout #48). I’ll be honest, I have stuck with this program strictly and as the work continually increase, my legs didn’t want anyone. Of course I getting old may be the reason for that lol.
I had been wanting to go straight to another program as soon as I finish this one but I’ve been thinking about running phase two again- the short course this time. Right now that where I’m leaning.
But I agree with you on the lower body stuff. I think I want more squats and lunges and even get ups again which has a lunge built in.
Doing the short course is not something I considered, however I will keep it under advisement.

Could you not run it clean and press and front squat together with the same rep methods? Covers both then!

Back
Top Bottom