all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

I finally got around to watching the videos on Strong!. Kicking myself I didn’t watch earlier, some great technique cues and tips which I will be incorporated asap as someone who is pretty new to Geoff’s stuff.

Can you? Yes..

Although you won't be able to use your 4-5rm for it.. a 6-7rm would be more optimal

Ok. That might actually work. I can do 28kg like 6-8 times but 32 is a struggle for more than a couple. So might actually be a perfect alternative.

Been jumping around all winter program wise. In need of a change. Recently started back with barbells and dumbbells but they kind of hurt my shoulders a bit.

Wanted to try Strong again and make it through all 3 phases. I had thought about doing the King Sized Killer but decided last minute to hit up Strong. Wanted to hit the 40s but couldn't get 4 decent reps with them. Was a bit disappointed but let's face it, I'm 57 now and under 210.

I got 5 solid ones with the 36s and a sixth shaky one.....so basically they are now a 5 RM. I got 2 solid reps with the 40s and s lousy third rep.

No question here, go with the 36s. I did them before like 3 years ago but I weighed more at the start so this will be interesting.

Day 1 in the books and I'm just gonna concentrate on getting stronger through phase 1 and watch the calalories. Gonna be fun.

Been jumping around all winter program wise. In need of a change. Recently started back with barbells and dumbbells but they kind of hurt my shoulders a bit.

Wanted to try Strong again and make it through all 3 phases. I had thought about doing the King Sized Killer but decided last minute to hit up Strong. Wanted to hit the 40s but couldn't get 4 decent reps with them. Was a bit disappointed but let's face it, I'm 57 now and under 210.

I got 5 solid ones with the 36s and a sixth shaky one.....so basically they are now a 5 RM. I got 2 solid reps with the 40s and s lousy third rep.

No question here, go with the 36s. I did them before like 3 years ago but I weighed more at the start so this will be interesting.

Day 1 in the books and I'm just gonna concentrate on getting stronger through phase 1 and watch the calalories. Gonna be fun.
I’m finishing up phase 2 again, doing short course after six months of phase 1&2 slow and steady.
I’m kinda floundering for a few days just mixing it up, Q&D, Dry fighting weight, Brett Jones strength aerobics.
I was wanting to do 12 weeks of RMF but I don’t know if my knees are good for a 3/4 squat. I’m ok for a full squat. Something about the 3/4 that I’m weak on.
Also for sure am doing something from MKM before heading out west to the Rocky mountains this summer hiking.

@John Grahill excellent choice! I’m really excited for you. I really wish I can finally go through the two phases of Strong some day!
Unfortunately I had to stop my strong journey due to a month off due to Covid. My 28kg were barely a 2-3RM when I resumed training.

I’m back on my ship where my trusted 24kg bells were waiting for me. I’ve just started DFW, then I plan to transition to Kettlebell Burn Extreme, and then I’ll increase the reps again, probably with the Giant 1.0. Hoping the 28 will be back to 5RM when I’ll be back home.

@John Grahill excellent choice! I’m really excited for you. I really wish I can finally go through the two phases of Strong some day!
Unfortunately I had to stop my strong journey due to a month off due to Covid. My 28kg were barely a 2-3RM when I resumed training.

I’m back on my ship where my trusted 24kg bells were waiting for me. I’ve just started DFW, then I plan to transition to Kettlebell Burn Extreme, and then I’ll increase the reps again, probably with the Giant 1.0. Hoping the 28 will be back to 5RM when I’ll be back home.
Consistency trumps intensity ! ... Keep at it brother !!

I’m finishing up phase 2 again, doing short course after six months of phase 1&2 slow and steady.
I’m kinda floundering for a few days just mixing it up, Q&D, Dry fighting weight, Brett Jones strength aerobics.
I was wanting to do 12 weeks of RMF but I don’t know if my knees are good for a 3/4 squat. I’m ok for a full squat. Something about the 3/4 that I’m weak on.
Also for sure am doing something from MKM before heading out west to the Rocky mountains this summer hiking.
@Archer I'd love to conquer the short course then hit up phase 3. Time will tell!

How are you finding it in comparison to the slow and steady?

@Archer I'd love to conquer the short course then hit up phase 3. Time will tell!

How are you finding it in comparison to the slow and steady?
Actually very hard. Slow and steady was hard enough. Then almost immediately into the short coarse (I think I had two weeks between. That’s when I was mixing things up with the various things). But back to these sets of 5 and 6 was hard.

Just started Strong phase 1 today. I think I am going to enjoy working with doubles. Took off about 3 months off and just worked on mainly mobility and some body weight after running the Giant series. I look forward to watching this thread.
Regards Paul

I am 3 weeks into Strong +ONE.
Previously , I have done The Giant, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2. I liked it a lot and will probably return to it later in the year. I'm also just coming off Clean 'Em Up, Sir Snatch a Lot, and The Wolf, and per the Kettlebell Hard! book, need some off loading.

A few thoughts:
-I'm doing snatches rather than C&P, 2x24 KG . I know, I know: but I want to get better and heavier in snatches, and this seemed like a good way to do it. It's going well!
-A WTH anecdote: I never ever even attempted a 32 KG single arm snatch. After 2 weeks of Strong, it just flew up on my Stronger arm, and this week I did a 32GK double. I also have one solid 32KG snatch on my strong arm. Very cool.
--The ONE is hard. Really hard. As with most of Mr. Neupert's programs. it's humbling how little weight (well, in my case ) can really tax you. I'm doing it with 2x20 KG, and I have a faint feeling of dread before every workout.
--Overall, it's a nice change from Kettlebell Hard! , and I'm looking forward to working on it, then picking the next program.

I have to say that the videos and tension pointers are worth their weight in gold. I may need to retest now after watching the first video again as they make a huge difference. I also really like knowing the number of reps to do as it helps me pace myself. I am really happy to finally be making the plunge to doubles!

Regards Paul

I'd like to get your opinion on something.

I finally got around to Strong after couple cycles of The Giant. However, I have a procedure (not because of an injury) coming up in a month that would sideline me for 2-3 weeks before I'm cleared to train again and continue with the program. I would go through half of phase 1 this way before the break and finish it afterwards. Is it still worth it to do it like this or should I just do a 4 week program instead (like another run of The Giant) and then do Strong once I can do the program in one go?

I am in no particular rush to meet any training related goal or anything, the last one was to get 2x28kg to 4RM which brought me here :)

I finally got around to Strong after couple cycles of The Giant. However, I have a procedure (not because of an injury) coming up in a month that would sideline me for 2-3 weeks before I'm cleared to train again and continue with the program. I would go through half of phase 1 this way before the break and finish it afterwards. Is it still worth it to do it like this or should I just do a 4 week program instead (like another run of The Giant) and then do Strong once I can do the program in one go?

I am in no particular rush to meet any training related goal or anything, the last one was to get 2x28kg to 4RM which brought me here :)
Just my 2 cents which may not be worth much more than that but I wouldn't start phase 1 and take a 3 week break in the middle of it. I'd think you'd do better using 4 week program and whenever you return to form after your recovery you can reevaluate.

Just my 2 cents which may not be worth much more than that but I wouldn't start phase 1 and take a 3 week break in the middle of it.
I agree with John that I wouldn't take a 3 week break in the middle of phase 1 and then continue where you left off.

But I don't see anything wrong with doing the first 4 weeks of phase 1 and then restarting from the beginning after you recover.

For a different 4 week program, you could do the Giant variation of your choice, DFW (minus the deload/testing week) if you want to include FSQs with your C&Ps, or Geoff's "Prep Strong" Plan A (or the first 4 weeks of Plan B, which is 5 weeks in total, plus a deload/testing week).

“Dry Fighting Weight”: Fat Loss Through Strength | StrongFirst

Getting Brutally Strong with Double Kettlebell in Kettlebell STRONG! | StrongFirst

Basically, just put in a solid 4 weeks of work on something, then start something new (or restart something from the beginning) when you are cleared to do so.

I agree with the others, better to wait and start the program without interruption. Also, if you are sidelined for longer than planned, it wont really matter.

Just my 2 cents which may not be worth much more than that but I wouldn't start phase 1 and take a 3 week break in the middle of it. I'd think you'd do better using 4 week program and whenever you return to form after your recovery you can reevaluate.
I agree with John that I wouldn't take a 3 week break in the middle of phase 1 and then continue where you left off.

But I don't see anything wrong with doing the first 4 weeks of phase 1 and then restarting from the beginning after you recover.

For a different 4 week program, you could do the Giant variation of your choice, DFW (minus the deload/testing week) if you want to include FSQs with your C&Ps, or Geoff's "Prep Strong" Plan A (or the first 4 weeks of Plan B, which is 5 weeks in total, plus a deload/testing week).

“Dry Fighting Weight”: Fat Loss Through Strength | StrongFirst

Getting Brutally Strong with Double Kettlebell in Kettlebell STRONG! | StrongFirst

Basically, just put in a solid 4 weeks of work on something, then start something new (or restart something from the beginning) when you are cleared to do so.

Thank you for your input gentlemen! I completely forgot about Prep Strong even though I did it as the first double kettlebell thing ever after pretty much just S&S. I'll probably do another run of The Giant. The last few runs worked well so I might as well continue.

Just some advice please, male 56, 240 pounds. Slightly experienced with kettlebells (did the sfg1 course etc.). I am just not strong enough for my taste, so I started doing KB Strong! with double 28's on the phase 1 slow n steady. A real challenge/ rather too heavy for me at the start in all honesty so according to Geoffs email advice I jerked them to start (clean and jerk = long cycle). Now I am onto push pressing them on my 10x2 sets fairly comfortably as the weight feels lighter and I am strong enough to press out to the top.

Any good reason to stay with jerks or push presses or should I just strict press when it becomes possible. For instance, I could probably bang the sets out with less rest if I jerk them. Next session is 8x3's so it is still early.

thanks in advance.

Just some advice please, male 56, 240 pounds. Slightly experienced with kettlebells (did the sfg1 course etc.). I am just not strong enough for my taste, so I started doing KB Strong! with double 28's on the phase 1 slow n steady. A real challenge/ rather too heavy for me at the start in all honesty so according to Geoffs email advice I jerked them to start (clean and jerk = long cycle). Now I am onto push pressing them on my 10x2 sets fairly comfortably as the weight feels lighter and I am strong enough to press out to the top.

Any good reason to stay with jerks or push presses or should I just strict press when it becomes possible. For instance, I could probably bang the sets out with less rest if I jerk them. Next session is 8x3's so it is still early.

thanks in advance.
You can definitely progress for the push press then to the strict press eventually..

The cover of strong shows GN doing a jerk. You can definitely stick with C & J for the whole program, and it's designed so that you can use any of the double KB movements.

GN mentions that he steers people away from the C & J because it's a tricky movement to master, and a lot of people do not have the proper mobility to do the move.

In many of his programs, you will hear GN sing the praises of the C & J. Overall, deciding on which lift to do depends on your goals. In my opinion, the correct one is the one you enjoy doing that keeps you committed to the program.

Back
Top Bottom