all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

I hit day 1 of phase 1 today. Let’s go! I did some easy pull-ups and pistol practice afterwards so I’m a heretic…
Lol well not too bad of a heretic. On the beginning I felt like I wanted or needed a little more but but after a few days into phase 2 I didn’t feel that way anymore. And about half way through phase 2 there was no way I wanted anything else.

Lol well not too bad of a heretic. On the beginning I felt like I wanted or needed a little more but but after a few days into phase 2 I didn’t feel that way anymore. And about half way through phase 2 there was no way I wanted anything else.
Yeah, I can see that, and am definitely only having Strong as structured or even remotely challenging work. Hopefully that’ll save my bacon from any vengeful Neuperts lurking in the bushes… ;)

I have completed phase 2 more than once before and it yielded excellent all around results. What worked best for me was eliminating extras except walking and using a 3x per week template. I'm going to start it today.
I forgot to mention, I was also running another program in the remaining 3 days. So it was 6 full days of workouts, and that was a bit much on the body. Next time I will walk/run on the other 3 days. With Ph2 I realise now that I need to let the body recover well before the next session.

I forgot to mention, I was also running another program in the remaining 3 days. So it was 6 full days of workouts, and that was a bit much on the body. Next time I will walk/run on the other 3 days. With Ph2 I realise now that I need to let the body recover well before the next session.
I've been guilty of that before. Phase 2 due to shortened rests between sets has some workouts done in like 15 minutes and you think to yourself you can do this or that after you're done. Then you finish and if you've truly used the appropriate set of kettlebells you're darned tired! I'm pumped and feel like I ran some sprints at the same time.

I like the conversation about adding other things to the Strong program. Some of the early sessions have left me feeling I might be under belled. (2x24k) I keep telling myself to "Trust in Geoff". If I have learned anything from GN's programs, things will get more challenging as I progress. It is better to error on the conservative side with the selection of the bells rather than make an ego driven choice of what I'd LIKE my bell to be for the program.

My compromise is patterning other double KB movements with 16k & 20k bells. I plan to run Ballistic Beatdown from Kettlebell Hard after Strong. (And a 6 week return to S&S to deload from Phase 3 of Strong) I want to make sure the Beatdown movements are solid.

I like the conversation about adding other things to the Strong program. Some of the early sessions have left me feeling I might be under belled. (2x24k) I keep telling myself to "Trust in Geoff". If I have learned anything from GN's programs, things will get more challenging as I progress. It is better to error on the conservative side with the selection of the bells rather than make an ego driven choice of what I'd LIKE my bell to be for the program.

My compromise is patterning other double KB movements with 16k & 20k bells. I plan to run Ballistic Beatdown from Kettlebell Hard after Strong. (And a 6 week return to S&S to deload from Phase 3 of Strong) I want to make sure the Beatdown movements are solid.
I thought this at the beginning as well. Now that I am on workout 43, I am having great difficulty finishing the sets and the rest periods stretch to 3 minutes at the end of the workouts.

I thought this at the beginning as well. Now that I am on workout 43, I am having great difficulty finishing the sets and the rest periods stretch to 3 minutes at the end of the workouts.
I has this issue too. Just go when you can while not being completely recovered.....just keep trying to shave it down a bit more each time.

It can be exhausting but that's the benefit.

If I have learned anything from GN's programs, things will get more challenging as I progress. It is better to error on the conservative side with the selection of the bells rather than make an ego driven choice of what I'd LIKE my bell to be for the program.
This is something most people just can't wrap their heads around because of our "go heavy/hard, or go home" mentality.

Programs should have a "break in" period where they actually feel somewhat easy. This allows you to build momentum and make it to the challenging training sessions. If everything was hard all the time, you'd only make it 10-14 days before you'd break down/burn out. Unless of course you had some "anabolic help."

This is something most people just can't wrap their heads around because of our "go heavy/hard, or go home" mentPrograms should have a "break in" period where they actually feel somewhat easy. This allows you to build momentum and make it to the challenging training sessions. If everything was hard all the time, you'd only make it 10-14 days before you'd break down/burn out. Unless of course you had some "anabolic help."
Agreed.

Im willing to wager that if folks would just do "as written" they'd be pleasantly surprised at their results!

I plan to finish workout 44 on Thursday morning. After my workout, I am going to have a very minor medical procedure that may cause me to take a week off.

Should I just take a week off and finish the program or should I terminate the program Thursday morning and move on to something else, probably the Wolf?

I plan to finish workout 44 on Thursday morning. After my workout, I am going to have a very minor medical procedure that may cause me to take a week off.

Should I just take a week off and finish the program or should I terminate the program Thursday morning and move on to something else, probably the Wolf?
I'm kind of thinking just take the week off and return where you left off...you've established quite a base by now.

Just wondering - this program calls for 3 days a week. Could it be compatible with the BJJ Strongfirst Clean and Jerk Protocol, provided that 1) you do each of the protocols 2x a week 2) the KB Strong! exercise of your choice are double kb squats?

Just wondering - this program calls for 3 days a week. Could it be compatible with the BJJ Strongfirst Clean and Jerk Protocol, provided that 1) you do each of the protocols 2x a week 2) the KB Strong! exercise of your choice are double kb squats?
I've not done the bjj program so I personally can't comment but I'm not sure I would add to the overhead volume . Doing each twice per week is 4 days of overhead work per week.

It's taken me years to realize it but whenever a program is altered and/or added to it no longer it alters the results as well.

I'd just do either/or as written but mileage may vary.

I've not done the bjj program so I personally can't comment but I'm not sure I would add to the overhead volume . Doing each twice per week is 4 days of overhead work per week.
as I specified - the KB Strong exercise would be a double-bell squat.

What are folks thoughts on running Strong! and The "One" together as programmed please?

My motivation is two fold;
i) strength phase - twice per week to give shoulders additional rest
ii) The "One" adds in two additional days of conditioning to help get me ready for the summer.

Or would I be better off diving in for first run of strength phase at three days per week?

What are folks thoughts on running Strong! and The "One" together as programmed please?

ii) The "One" adds in two additional days of conditioning to help get me ready for the summer.

Or would I be better off diving in for first run of strength phase at three days per week?
I think many have done this but here's my take for whatever it's worth .... I would just stick with Strong. My reasoning is simple. I get more out of pressing 3x per week than twice a week. What is "lost" in conditioning will be quickly regained during phases 2 and 3 with rest period manipulation.

I think many have done this but here's my take for whatever it's worth .... I would just stick with Strong. My reasoning is simple. I get more out of pressing 3x per week than twice a week. What is "lost" in conditioning will be quickly regained during phases 2 and 3 with rest period manipulation.
+1. You won’t be wanting or needing more conditioning as Strong progresses. I would run it as a standalone program first.

Tightening up your diet and going for a long walk after you train and on most days off would help with getting ready for summer with minimal impact to your progress.

Back
Top Bottom