all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

@blad51 that's amazing! I can't imagine you'll keep rest periods at 60 seconds through Phase 2, but if you do then Phase 3 will be superfluous!
So true! I don't want Phase 3 to be superfluous! (HA!)

I am just trying to keep myself honest about what is and what is not a sufficient rest period between sets. I can't imagine I will be able or want to stay OTM through all of Phase 2.

Finished Week 5 of Phase 1 today. I'm getting tired of the limitations of the program. Not hating on the program, I'm keeping pace with everything, and I think my arms and shoulders are seeing hints of growth and my press is getting stronger.

I just want to bench... and squat... and deadlift... and snatch... too!
Alas, the life of a Minimalist and a narrow focus...

Alas, the life of a Minimalist and a narrow focus...
@John K I got stronger at swings without swinging due to a lot of clean and pressing. After double cleans for a while, when I went back to swings, although my conditioning had dropped, my 32kg bell felt much lighter.

I do like focussing on one thing for a block, then switching to a block of focussing on a few lifts. I think both work.

Finished workout 8 of the slow and steady and it was a tough one. I may have to go with 2 times a week when I get back from vacation as I think I may need a little more recovery time especially as the volume increases. That said I am really enjoying this program as well as working with doubles. I am definately getting stronger!

Today was day 1 of week 6 (workout 16) of Phase 1. Quite exhausting. The last rep of the day was a serious grind. Each day of 3s I get to the last set and am glad it is the last set, and it is hard, but then a few days later I can eek out one more set and it only feels as hard as the last time.

Here's my middle set of the day:

Today was day 1 of week 6 (workout 16) of Phase 1. Quite exhausting. The last rep of the day was a serious grind. Each day of 3s I get to the last set and am glad it is the last set, and it is hard, but then a few days later I can eek out one more set and it only feels as hard as the last time.

Here's my middle set of the day:

Doing that pretty comfortably mate, awesome work !

Kettlebell Strong: Phase 1. Week 8. Workout 24: C&P: 2x24k: Rep Max

Pre-Test:

2x16k: 5 Reps
5 minutes rest
2x20k
5 minutes rest

Rep Max Tests:
2x24k: 10 REPS!!
2x 28k: 2 REPS!!

The Rep Test went great. I might have been able to squeeze out another rep on each test. I didn't want to push it and risk getting hurt. Thanks to everyone who shared their pre-test routine.

I am very pleased. I never thought I would want to do a double KB program. It just didn't appeal to me. Strong is such a great program. I am really glad that I learned how to use double KBs.

BRING ON PHASE 2!! Slow and Steady wins the race!
Blad51 - Can I just confirm, before starting Strong you were "only" able to do 5 reps of 16kg and 2 reps of 20kg?

This is about where I am at and I was getting discouraged about not being able to press very well relative to SFG requirements. It's inspiring to know that at the end of Phase I (I'm 2 weeks in) I could be pressing 24kg! My goal was to unlock 5RM 24kg to start Rite of Passage and then on to SFGI prep with crazy extra volume.

Last edited:
Blad51 - Can I just confirm, before starting Strong you were "only" able to do 5 reps of 16kg and 2 reps of 20kg?

This is about where I am at and I was getting discouraged about not being able to press very well relative to SFG requirements. It's inspiring to know that at the end of Phase I (I'm 2 weeks in) I could be pressing 24kg! My goal was to unlock 5RM 24kg to start Rite of Passage and then on to SFGI prep with crazy extra volume.
Just my uneducated 2 cents....just keep at steadily and your strength will improve. Overhead work in my case responded well to consistent volume and training.....Basically what Pavel et all have said all along! Trust the process! You will do just fine!

No. When I started I tested 2x24k bells. I was able to do 5 solid reps. I could have done an ugly 6th rep but I decided not to push it.

The stats you quoted above were from my Rep Max test at the end of Phase 1:

Pre-Test:
2x16k: 5 Reps
5 minutes rest
2x20k: 5 Reps
5 minutes rest

Rep Max Tests:
2x24k: 10 REPS
2x 28k: 2 REPS

The Pre-Test part of the rep test was just to get my muscles ready for the rep max test.

The 10 Reps of the 24k bell went up very good. I decided to give the 2x28s a shot. I never C&P 28s before. I could have done 3 if I was willing to do an ugly rep. I think if I would have done the Rep Max test with just the 28s (skipping the 24k rep max) I think I would have been able to get at least 5 reps. I toyed with the idea of starting Phase 1 over with the 28k bells. But I really want to see Strong all the way through (all 3 Phases) with the 24k bells. I am thinking that I might be able to do The Giant with the 28k Bells when I finish Strong with the 24k Bells.

Strong is an EXCELLENT program. You will be able to press the 24k bells soon enough.

Hi all!

I’m on phase 2 workout 39 currently just doing clean and press and then sprinkling other things if i feel like it! Just wondered if anyone else is doing STRONG with any added exercises or just the clean and press?

Hi all!

I’m on phase 2 workout 39 currently just doing clean and press and then sprinkling other things if i feel like it! Just wondered if anyone else is doing STRONG with any added exercises or just the clean and press?
I do swings and getups once a week, sometimes swings twice if time allows. Not too much to hinder my progress on Strong, basically no more than 10x10 SS style swings and 5-10 getups each side

Just wondered if anyone else is doing STRONG with any added exercises or just the clean and press?
I am running Strong with 2x24k bells. I start Phase 2 Week 3 tomorrow morning.

After I finish the lifts for Strong, I am patterning double swings, double high pull, and double snatch. 5 reps in a chain with 2x20k bells.

I am also learning the jerk. So I am practicing mobility and patterning the lift. I do naked OH 1/4 squats then I load it with either 2x12 or 2x16 bells. Then Jerk starts with 2x20k bells.

I run all of the above lifts for two or three sets. Nothing taxing. Just practicing the movements and dialing in my form.

Hi. All. In a few month i will start the STRONG program. So i read the book and there is a recommendation to train STRONG 3 days a week. What are you usualy train in your off days? If i remember correctly (it was 10 years since i read that) in ETK Pavel also reccomendet 3 training days a week. And some easy training between the days without any heavy lifting.

What are you training in your free days? How heavy can you go without suffering in STRONG? What should absolutly be avoid?

Back
Top Bottom