all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Finished Phase 1 today with a RM test.

Before:
2x28 kg - tough 4RM
1H military press with 32kg - 1RM

Now:
2x28 kg - 6RM (I could have likely made the 7th as well had I not lost tension)
2x32 kg - 2RM

I'm especially happy to double C&P with 32's for (albeit only 2) reps since 32's are freaking cool bells to press and it was my sort-of-a goal when I started with double C&P.

Some days were tougher because of poor recovery (pollen allergies impacting sleep) but extra rest between sets helped a lot. Overall I'm satisfied with Phase 1 and I'm looking towards Phase 2.

After a week in bali eating too much and breaking my normal no lunchtime beer rule, and despite a cold, I got through W12, 5 sets of 3 this morning. It’s the first of the sets of 3 and I wasn’t sure, but I got through alright with good form. Bells felt a little heavier than usual but I think if I didn’t have a cold, I would have been fine.

Almost half way and loving it!

After a week in bali eating too much and breaking my normal no lunchtime beer rule, and despite a cold, I got through W12, 5 sets of 3 this morning. It’s the first of the sets of 3 and I wasn’t sure, but I got through alright with good form. Bells felt a little heavier than usual but I think if I didn’t have a cold, I would have been fine.

Almost half way and loving it!
You got back to it, that's important !

Hey guys,
Just finished phase 2 of Strong! last week
Don't think i'll try the 3rd phase.

I used double 20s

First day:
Weight: 77 kg
Test max: 6 reps

Last day of training (short phase):
Weight: 80 kg
10x6 reps; it was hard but i did it and i was really proud !

Today:
Weight: 80 kg
Test max: 14 reps !

Not much to say... I am very happy with the program. I made tremendous progress, and i am 3 "muscle kilos" bigger (i don't think there is much fat in these 3 kilos). I didn't eat to get bigger, just ate as usual. For sure i'll come back to Strong! with double 24 someday.

Cheers @Geoff Neupert and thank you (y)

Week 6 of Phase 2 Slow and Steady is over!

What a week!

I traveled to Denver for work this week. I got up at 4:30 a.m. on Sunday to get my lifts in before my flight. I wanted to lift a day early in case the hotel gym didn't have kettlebells. (Monday is usually my first lift day for Strong.) Wouldn't you know it, the hotel gym had three competition bells in 16k, 24k, and 32k bells. (So I could have done Strong! with 16 and 24k mismatched bells.)

I flew home on Tuesday. My flight was delayed several times because of weather. I ended up getting home at 1:30 a.m.

Got up Wednesday and got my lifts in. I am proud of me. I can rationalize ANYTHING. I am glad I did not talk myself out of lifting on Wednesday because I got home so late.

I think one of the brilliant parts of Strong! is that it builds its own momentum. I look at my log and see how far I've come since April. It is motivating to see my progress. It makes me want to work harder to continue my progress.

I got some sage advice from Geoff the other day. I took him up on a suggestion. I did my first heavy day today with more than five reps and it was a struggle. I took a full two and three quarters to 3 minutes between each set and I was able to finish relatively strongly. I'm just going to concentrate on completing thr required reps as quickly as I can safely manage and reduce the rests gradually. I'm really wiped out considering I did this in my garage in 90 plus today! At the risk of not being politically correct, these are "man makers" for sure!

I got some sage advice from Geoff the other day. I took him up on a suggestion. I did my first heavy day today with more than five reps and it was a struggle. I took a full two and three quarters to 3 minutes between each set and I was able to finish relatively strongly. I'm just going to concentrate on completing thr required reps as quickly as I can safely manage and reduce the rests gradually. I'm really wiped out considering I did this in my garage in 90 plus today! At the risk of not being politically correct, these are "man makers" for sure!
I am a few weeks behind you in Phase 2. I am closely following your reports about your recovery as you get into the higher rep sets.

So far, on the 5 rep days, I am able to keep my recovery to one minute between sets. BUT... I am running 2x24k bells not 36k bells like you are running.

Thanks for your reports they are very helpful!

I am a few weeks behind you in Phase 2. I am closely following your reports about your recovery as you get into the higher rep sets.

So far, on the 5 rep days, I am able to keep my recovery to one minute between sets. BUT... I am running 2x24k bells not 36k bells like you are running.

Thanks for your reports they are very helpful!
Glad to help!

Past halfway now, still have a bit of a cold so resting between sets thoroughly. Finding I’m catching the bells quite high sometimes, I think I’m putting too much lower body into the clean, more than I need? Otherwise getting through fine.

I plan on doing phase 2. Though it looks and sounds brutal! I will need plenty of rest haha

sorry if I hijack the thread, but is it possible doing strong while in a deficit? I think the program seems really fun but I do need to lose some weight.

sorry if I hijack the thread, but is it possible doing strong while in a deficit? I think the program seems really fun but I do need to lose some weight.
I think so from my experiences but as phase 2 progresses, it's a bit tough to fight off the hunger urges especially on training days with higher volume! Phase 1 I absolutely have trained in a deficit.

I think so from my experiences but as phase 2 progresses, it's a bit tough to fight off the hunger urges especially on training days with higher volume! Phase 1 I absolutely have trained in a deficit.
Thanks for the answer. Guess I’ll see when I get there.

I've just done 5 weeks of Phase 1 and dropped 2.5 kg through eating less.
I'm off on holiday tomorrow so retested early and I've maintained my RM. A small win; not bad given I've only done 5 weeks of an 8 week programme.

W16 of 24 done. Sets of 3 for me are doable but my conditioning is average. I planned on doing phase 2, but I think I need some conditioning. Bumped into a relative who recently lost weight and got into good enough shape to spend 6 weeks surfing in Indonesia. Got me inspired to at least get back into surfing again.

I’m thinking either dry fighting weight, a swing/getup/goblet squat circuit from KB express or maybe even The Wolf, although I can only do single arm half snatches ( haven’t quite got the hang of the drop yet ). I suspect the Wolf may kill me in my current shape though.

Back
Top Bottom