all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Phase 1 is done!. Managed 6 reps. A 7th might’ve been possible but doubt it would have been great form. So f’ning gassed haha, I’m more than a little concerned but the volume slowly increases so I will give phase 2 Slow n Steady a go. I’m dropping to twice a week, with Swing hard twice a week to help boost the conditioning, which I definitely need.

Tried some “freet” minimalist shoes. They’re a touch big, and if I had to run around in them I’d get a smaller size, but with kettlebells my feet stay planted so I’ll keep them. I’ll need them for my gym. I’ll try swings with them tomorrow. I think they’ll be fine

EDIT: For comparison, I started Strong with Clean and Push Press, because pressing 2x24, I could barely get 2 reps, but I could do a few reps Push Press. By around 1/3 into Strong, I could switch to all Clean and Press. And I just made 6 x 2x24 C&P. Pretty happy with that progress! No change in body weight, though my eating discipline was pretty lousy, and my trip to Bali got me into the bad ( but also fun! ) habit of drinking beers midweek regularly ( beer free this month to get back on track ). I think my upper body is thicker but only going by the way my shirts fit.

I also think if the bells you have are a little too heavy, starting with C & Push Press works really well.

Last edited:
Phase 1 is done!. Managed 6 reps. A 7th might’ve been possible but doubt it would have been great form. So f’ning gassed haha, I’m more than a little concerned but the volume slowly increases so I will give phase 2 Slow n Steady a go. I’m dropping to twice a week, with Swing hard twice a week to help boost the conditioning, which I definitely need.
Congrats on finishing Phase 1!!

I think the Slow & Steady format for Phase 2 is the prudent path for most of us.

Before I began Strong, I briefly considered doing the Short Course. I am famous for under estimating the rigor of a program before I begin it. When I consider a program, I typically look at the rep scheme or the weight involved and think to myself that it won't be so bad. I then begin the program at a level that I aspire to, and in reality is too advanced for me. When the program's intensity increases, I have left myself no where to go. The weight or the rep scheme is too intense for me to maintain good from or recover between sessions. I can't progress because I began the program at a level that my vanity wanted and not what was appropriate for me. As I have grown (older?), I have learned to be conservative when I start a program so I don't destroy myself when the program's intensity ramps up.

With Geoff Neupert's programs, I follow his guidelines and trust the process. (It works)

I am so glad that I had the good judgment to select the Slow & Steady path for Phase 2. Even on the heavy days, the rep scheme is challenging, but not impossible. I doubt that I would be able to sufficiently recover between sessions using the Short Course's rep scheme.

Congrats on finishing Phase 1!!

I think the Slow & Steady format for Phase 2 is the prudent path for most of us.

Before I began Strong, I briefly considered doing the Short Course. I am famous for under estimating the rigor of a program before I begin it. When I consider a program, I typically look at the rep scheme or the weight involved and think to myself that it won't be so bad. I then begin the program at a level that I aspire to, and in reality is too advanced for me. When the program's intensity increases, I have left myself no where to go. The weight or the rep scheme is too intense for me to maintain good from or recover between sessions. I can't progress because I began the program at a level that my vanity wanted and not what was appropriate for me. As I have grown (older?), I have learned to be conservative when I start a program so I don't destroy myself when the program's intensity ramps up.

With Geoff Neupert's programs, I follow his guidelines and trust the process. (It works)

I am so glad that I had the good judgment to select the Slow & Steady path for Phase 2. Even on the heavy days, the rep scheme is challenging, but not impossible. I doubt that I would be able to sufficiently recover between sessions using the Short Course's rep scheme.
Thanks mate!

We are similar haha! It’s hard to get my head around but like you, I’ve found that slow continuous progress works out better in the long run for me.

While everyone is increasing weights, I took a different approach and reduced my weights. I started working with double 28s and mid-way of Ph2 I had to pause the program to prep for SFG1. But I could already feel that it was getting difficult. Now that I had a bit of a break and almost finishing ROP Jurassic, I thought I’ll see where I was with DCP. But I did not have access to my 28s as I was traveling. But I had access to double 24s. This made me wonder if I could do 10x6 using double 24s. And I could. With 2 min rests. This made me wonder if I could do this and keep reducing rest to 1 min. At which point I could get back to double 28s. I would get some good conditioning and would ‘own’ the 24s before moving up. Did anyone do KB Strong to the T? Any reflections from that?

While everyone is increasing weights, I took a different approach and reduced my weights. I started working with double 28s and mid-way of Ph2 I had to pause the program to prep for SFG1. But I could already feel that it was getting difficult. Now that I had a bit of a break and almost finishing ROP Jurassic, I thought I’ll see where I was with DCP. But I did not have access to my 28s as I was traveling. But I had access to double 24s. This made me wonder if I could do 10x6 using double 24s. And I could. With 2 min rests. This made me wonder if I could do this and keep reducing rest to 1 min. At which point I could get back to double 28s. I would get some good conditioning and would ‘own’ the 24s before moving up. Did anyone do KB Strong to the T? Any reflections from that?
I tried to do it to a T.....there were times when I was progressing through phase 2 that I wanted to drop back but I didn't.

One time years back I did phase 3 for the first 5 weeks of the year to facilitate fat loss but that was the only time I ever jumped over phase 1. Every other time through I did phase 1 and plodded along from there using the same weights.

Nice and easy today when it comes to workout, slept well and was not having any problems when it comes to 1st and 2nd pull and then once I have zipped myself presses just flew. Volume is very low, as per now, so I am trying to make every rep count.
Nice work!

Week 13 Phase 2: Slow and Steady is in the books!

I am so proud of myself for staying with the program. This was a week that was out of my routine. We spent last weekend at my sister's house for Labor Day. I got home on Monday in the early evening. During the whole drive home I was actively trying to talk myself into skipping my lifts. BUT I got home and I did them.

I was at an out of town for a work conference from Wednesday through yesterday. I lifted on Wednesday morning before I left. I did my last lift of the week when I got home yesterday in the late afternoon. AGAIN I was trying to talk myself in to skipping my lifts. (WTF?!!?) I was being a b*tch! But I got it done!

In the past, this last week (out of my routine) would have been an excuse to skip a few workouts. And then eventually abandon a program. Then skipping workouts for a period of months or even years.

I am so happy I stayed on target. The Strong! program has kept me committed. BUT, this thread and the fellowship from all you helps to keep me on track. I didn't want to let any of you down by quitting the program.

I am grateful for all of you and your support.

Week 13 Phase 2: Slow and Steady is in the books!

I am so proud of myself for staying with the program. This was a week that was out of my routine. We spent last weekend at my sister's house for Labor Day. I got home on Monday in the early evening. During the whole drive home I was actively trying to talk myself into skipping my lifts. BUT I got home and I did them.

I was at an out of town for a work conference from Wednesday through yesterday. I lifted on Wednesday morning before I left. I did my last lift of the week when I got home yesterday in the late afternoon. AGAIN I was trying to talk myself in to skipping my lifts. (WTF?!!?) I was being a b*tch! But I got it done!

In the past, this last week (out of my routine) would have been an excuse to skip a few workouts. And then eventually abandon a program. Then skipping workouts for a period of months or even years.

I am so happy I stayed on target. The Strong! program has kept me committed. BUT, this thread and the fellowship from all you helps to keep me on track. I didn't want to let any of you down by quitting the program.

I am grateful for all of you and your support.
Way to go, man. I’m beginning week four of phase 2. I started getting shiny object syndrome and began looking to add something last week. But I told myself to stop and stay the course. I want to go through a full cycle of just doing clean and press. There’s something so primal about the program that I love. Will keep moving forward.

Way to go, man. I’m beginning week four of phase 2. I started getting shiny object syndrome and began looking to add something last week. But I told myself to stop and stay the course. I want to go through a full cycle of just doing clean and press. There’s something so primal about the program that I love. Will keep moving forward.
Good for you! Week 4 is where Phase 2 starts to ramp up the intensity. You won't need to add anything.

Keep posting your progress. This thread is great for support and motivation.

First session of Phase 2 today. I’ve had a good week off after finishing phase 1. I have a minor golfers elbow issue, physio knows what I’m doing and says I can keep going but it’s just annoying. Reps were good though.

Started Strong this morning. Phase 1, Day 1 in the books. 10 x 1 for day 1 with the 24's, that structure set/rep structure felt really good. Took about a 15 to 20 second break in between reps/sets and felt fresh every rep. Looking forward to seeing how this program progresses.

Anyone doing Strong with Double Kettlebell Front Squats? Yesterday was my Phase 2, workout 34. I'm using two 50lbs kettlebells. It's brutal, but I feel "weirdly" great after a lot of sets of squats - it feels that "something good" happened to the whole body, I can't explain very precisely!

First time with sets of 4 today. Was worried but I got through it. I’m doing phase 2 twice a week, Mon and Fri and so far seems a good amount of recovery time. Pretty happy with todays effort.

I can’t ( and don’t really want ) to go barefoot in the gym so I’m using b primal “freet” shoes. They’re great. I thought swings would be awkward in them but zero issues.

Anyone doing Strong with Double Kettlebell Front Squats? Yesterday was my Phase 2, workout 34. I'm using two 50lbs kettlebells. It's brutal, but I feel "weirdly" great after a lot of sets of squats - it feels that "something good" happened to the whole body, I can't explain very precisely!
Was doing it with thrusters but got extremely draining mid way through phase 2.

Was doing it with thrusters but got extremely draining mid way through phase 2.
Interesting you say that as I had considered doing Strong with Geoff's front squat/push press combo. He introduced it years back in his "double stuff" program. It's a front squat with a pause in the rack, then a push press with the bells brought back to the rack and paused again, then a front squat, etc. It's not really a thruster but I thought it may be a good movement to try.

Back
Top Bottom