all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Week 2 Phase 3 is over! This was the end of my 6 month of Strong.

I am really enjoying Phase 3. It is different from the rep/set scheme of Phases 1 &2. I like banging out the sets of 6 and the only variable that changes for each session is the amount of rest between sets.

I have had a head cold this week. (YEA!! MUCUS!!) The bells felt a little heavy today. But I was able to do all of the lifts with good form. I am happy that I got the lifts done even though I didn't feel 100%.

And today was my last Strong! day :)

I did it with Double Kettlebell Front Squat, two 50lbs kettlebells. I started on April 11th with 10x1, and finished today with 10x6 - both in 26 minutes!

It was a wild ride. Some of the challenges I faced:
1. I noticed I was getting out of breath before getting my muscles tired. So I started working out with a heart monitor and added cardio on the "off" days (indoor rowing).
2. I started to have some serious pain in my left shoulder, I almost stopped everything. I went to the physical therapist, and I added shoulder exercises to my routine after the squats and rowing. It made a huge difference, and I would say that in a month it got 90% better.
3. I had lower back issues in the past, and in the last month I started "feeling" my lower back again. Following my successful physical therapy experience, we changed our focus from shoulder to my lower back. Ended up adding more core-oriented exercises to my routine, replacing some of the shoulder ones.

I do an Original Strength reset-inspired set of exercises and 5 minutes in the rowing machine as warm-up, and 5 to 10 minutes stretch as cool down. I work out Monday to Saturday, from 6 to 7am.

And that's it! I gained weight, but I look leaner and more muscular. I definitely got stronger, and got a big boost in self confidence.

I will admit that the last month I got HUNGRY, and might have gained an extra 3 or 4 pounds, hehe. I will try to focus on losing weight in the next month before holiday season.

Thank you all and thank you Geoff!

Some pages from my logs:
View attachment 19365 View attachment 19366
Nice work Lucasmreis! I know what you mean about being hungry while doing this program,

Kind of annoying but I think I may drop back to twice a week. I feel fine with 3 times a week, but my elbow tendinitis is hanging around. It’s not getting worse, but I think I need to do less C&P for a while. My physio mentioned deadlifts/carries would help and I’ve tried them the last 2 sessions without pain, so I think I’ll do carries on my Wednesday with some elbow strengthening.

Hopefully in a few weeks I can get rid of the tendinitis and go back to 3 x a week C&P.

It adds time to finish Phase 2 but i felt bulletproof when I regularly did trap bar carries so it won’t be a negative I guess.

HI everyone, I completed Phase 2 as a 63 year old and did some testing and thought I would provide an update:

5. During the program I lost 23 lb of weight due to a fasting diet.
I don't know if anyone has commented but at 63 years of age, you're breathing rare air with that accomplishment. Congratulations!

Kind of annoying but I think I may drop back to twice a week. I feel fine with 3 times a week, but my elbow tendinitis is hanging around. It’s not getting worse, but I think I need to do less C&P for a while. My physio mentioned deadlifts/carries would help and I’ve tried them the last 2 sessions without pain, so I think I’ll do carries on my Wednesday with some elbow strengthening.

Hopefully in a few weeks I can get rid of the tendinitis and go back to 3 x a week C&P.

It adds time to finish Phase 2 but i felt bulletproof when I regularly did trap bar carries so it won’t be a negative I guess.
Sorry about the tendinitis.

Follow your doctor's advice.

Keep your goal the goal!

Do you do finger extensions with rubber bands. My elbows started grumbling recently on C&Ps and reintroducing the extensions has resolved.
Not sure if that is the same thing but might help.
I keep a couple of elastic bands on my wrist and just do them whenever I think on.

Do you do finger extensions with rubber bands. My elbows started grumbling recently on C&Ps and reintroducing the extensions has resolved.
Not sure if that is the same thing but might help.
I keep a couple of elastic bands on my wrist and just do them whenever I think on.
I have the ones with the holes in them so they stay on. I’ll dig them out again. It’s my flexors though, on the inside of my forearm/elbow. Its just annoying more than painful, but I don’t like injuries that hang around

I have the ones with the holes in them so they stay on. I’ll dig them out again. It’s my flexors though, on the inside of my forearm/elbow. Its just annoying more than painful, but I don’t like injuries that hang around
OK, sounds like something different then. I hope you can find something to help improve it.
I've got the type with holes but prefer the classic rubber band as the range of motion is longer. Plus I can carry them on my wrist.
Good luck

So I finished phase 1 last week and I’ve had great results. I went from pressing a single 32kg from 3 reps, to pressing doubles for 8.
I also pressed my 40kg pretty easily with my right hand. I also got the left but it was a bit more of a grind. I couldn’t even budge it off my shoulder 8 weeks ago and even the clean felt heavy.

I have noticed something though, my lockout between my right and my left seems to be misaligned. I can see that my wrist position is better with my right hand, and my left arm seems to lock out further behind my head than the right.

Could this be caused by my lats being tight on my right hand side?
I think I’m generally a bit wonky anyway because I used to spend a lot of time digging holes for work, and I’ve also had an ACL repair on my left knee.

Im not sure what the best way to approach this is. Either focus on single kettlebell work, or keep on with doubles and add some unilateral work in as assistance and reassess at the end of the long course, while working on my mobility

Attachments

• DFEA7F41-EA9B-4153-B084-67351ACC10E0.jpeg
    DFEA7F41-EA9B-4153-B084-67351ACC10E0.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 56
I’m going to pause for a month. My elbow is pissing me off. I think it’s just the volume, I had biceps tendinitis towards the end of Giant 3.0 as the reps added up

I’ll switch to The Giant with double front squats, and see how it goes. I haven’t squatted in a long time so I’ll just drop the weight and see where I end up.

Last edited:
So I finished phase 1 last week and I’ve had great results. I went from pressing a single 32kg from 3 reps, to pressing doubles for 8.
I also pressed my 40kg pretty easily with my right hand. I also got the left but it was a bit more of a grind. I couldn’t even budge it off my shoulder 8 weeks ago and even the clean felt heavy.

I have noticed something though, my lockout between my right and my left seems to be misaligned. I can see that my wrist position is better with my right hand, and my left arm seems to lock out further behind my head than the right.

Could this be caused by my lats being tight on my right hand side?
I think I’m generally a bit wonky anyway because I used to spend a lot of time digging holes for work, and I’ve also had an ACL repair on my left knee.

Im not sure what the best way to approach this is. Either focus on single kettlebell work, or keep on with doubles and add some unilateral work in as assistance and reassess at the end of the long course, while working on my mobility
Definitely a difference between right and left. My left arm press is also not as strong/solid as my right. It annoys the hell out of me. I’ve seen a physio and there seems to be no major issues, possibly thoracic mobility and generally weaker on the left. I can do empty barbell overhead squat holds so my mobility isn’t terrible

I’ve been doing paused TGU’s on my left to try to strengthen my upper back/lats. It’s not a huge difference but I am weaker on the left.

Like you, I have had a knee injury ( right ) and so I’m also a little wonky as you say. Maybe related?

Tendinitis is weird. It flares up when I think it shouldn’t, then sometimes I do something and think it’ll flare up but it’s fine.

Looking over my logs, the volume I’m currently doing is the same amount of volume I was doing when I started getting biceps tendinitis when I was doing Giant. Maybe it’s just too much weekly volume? I’m at just over 100 reps ( 3x a week ) weekly 2x24. I might just have better luck with full body type training? Where I do 3 days but 3 different movements? ( C&P, dbl squats, snatch ) It’s annoying!

Looking over my logs, the volume I’m currently doing is the same amount of volume I was doing when I started getting biceps tendinitis when I was doing Giant. Maybe it’s just too much weekly volume? I’m at just over 100 reps ( 3x a week ) weekly 2x24. I might just have better luck with full body type training? Where I do 3 days but 3 different movements? ( C&P, dbl squats, snatch ) It’s annoying!
Sorry to hear that.
I got shoulder bursitis last time I tried to run ROP. I'm currently contemplating rerunning it which almost feels foolish reading this. But then I'm two years wiser so hopefully my mobility and awareness has improved sufficiently.
Without doubt though inflammation sucks and avoiding the cause for a wee while will help in the long run.

I get it every few years. I work with my hands so no surprise.

Never really bad, but it’s just annoying and I don’t like carrying injuries. Especially now I’m over 40 haha

Ive run through strong 3 times since it was released many years ago, but have not revisited it in many years. After a few cycles of the giant, Reading through this thread convinced me to run through KB strong phase one for the first time in years. I love this program, but always get burned out when it moves into higher reps.

I just finished workout 20 of phase one, with the 36kgs and am looking ahead. My question is has anyone ever run the version laid out in Geoff’s KB strong article on here? Instead of moving to phase 2, I’m thinking of restarting at workout 1 when I finish the cycle, but double the volume of each workout, then another possible restart tripling the original volume, as laid out in the article. Has anyone done this, what were the results?

Day 1 of
Ive run through strong 3 times since it was released many years ago, but have not revisited it in many years. After a few cycles of the giant, Reading through this thread convinced me to run through KB strong phase one for the first time in years. I love this program, but always get burned out when it moves into higher reps.

I just finished workout 20 of phase one, with the 36kgs and am looking ahead. My question is has anyone ever run the version laid out in Geoff’s KB strong article on here? Instead of moving to phase 2, I’m thinking of restarting at workout 1 when I finish the cycle, but double the volume of each workout, then another possible restart tripling the original volume, as laid out in the article. Has anyone done this, what were the results?
i have not but am interested as I am ready for another round is Strong. I will have to check out the article.

Week 3 Phase 3 is over!

I'm still battling my cold. (Who knew that mucus could be so colorful!)

I only did my lifts this week. I didn't do any LISS on my off days. I didn't pattern the lifts for Ballistic Beatdown.

I kept my nose to the grindstone and lifted this week.

I am proud of me for getting this week done.

Back
Top Bottom