all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

I just saw this...

I've done KB strong many times over the years with the double clean and press, but the double clean is somehow aggravating my old (54 yo) knees these days. Has anybody done Strong with the DFSQ? What was their experience? Could I add in 2-3 sets of double press and/or chins at the end to maintain upper body lifts (Kind of like Easy Muscle schedule A does)?

You could actually just swap the loading parameters in EM and do squats first instead of the c and p

Senior instructor Hector Gutierrez did strong with DFSQ years ago and had good success with it

First week trying to do Strong twice, and swings twice a week. I’m not close to the rest periods required for The One, so I’m just going to do S&S style 10x10 @32. I’ve had good success before just doing them regularly and seeing rest naturally reduce, so I’ll give it a few weeks and re assess.

I don’t like swings, just don’t like them but they are easy conditioning so if I suck it up and get used to them again I think they’ll work as intended.

First week trying to do Strong twice, and swings twice a week. I’m not close to the rest periods required for The One, so I’m just going to do S&S style 10x10 @32. I’ve had good success before just doing them regularly and seeing rest naturally reduce, so I’ll give it a few weeks and re assess.

I don’t like swings, just don’t like them but they are easy conditioning so if I suck it up and get used to them again I think they’ll work as intended.
Isn't The One a double kb program?

Regardless, if you're running a single or double, drop down in your KB weight until you can do The One with Geoff's proscribed rest periods.

I think one really experiences the full benefit of GN's programing genius when you select the correct bell (bells) and run the program as he lays it out.

With both Pavel and Geoff's programing I have learned to be conservative when selecting a weight to use for a program rather than using the weight my pride wants me to use.

Isn't The One a double kb program?

Regardless, if you're running a single or double, drop down in your KB weight until you can do The One with Geoff's proscribed rest periods.

I think one really experiences the full benefit of GN's programing genius when you select the correct bell (bells) and run the program as he lays it out.

With both Pavel and Geoff's programing I have learned to be conservative when selecting a weight to use for a program rather than using the weight my pride wants me to use.
Cheers mate, I’ll drop down a bell size and see how I go. Lighter kb swings feel a bit odd to me, but I’ll try it. I’m looking for conditioning not strength from the swings I suppose.

Finally finished Phase 3 with 28kgs. Last few sets were really difficult. Could feel my knees shaking on the last couple. But done and dusted.

Had a lot of success with a few tweaks this year that might help others.
Ran Phase 1 with Thrusters... tried to do phase 2 as well but it got miserable about half way through. So switched to just clean and press after about week 20 of the long program and also switched to the short program.
Didn't feel quite ready for Phase 3 so ran it doing 5 reps instead of 6 till I got to 1:30sec rest, then restarted with 6 and did the thing properly.

Looking to run it again next year with 32's. Going to take a little break from Clean and Press till Feb to allow my joints to heal. My wrists are starting to really feel it.
Current plan is to:
Phase 1 Run with Thrusters 3x per week
Phase 2 Do long phase with Clean and Press 2x per week with a 3rd and maybe 4th day of Free Weights.
Phase 3 As written. 2x per week with a 3rd day of Free Weights.

Free Weights: Tend to run this little circuit Trap Deadlift, Bench, KB Front Squat. Start with No Plates then keep Adding Plates and Half Plates till I reach a 5 Rep Max. Ends up Being about 4 rounds. Not too grueling, but it is nice to hit some bigger weights.

Will test my KB rep out with 28kg but I'd be surprised if it was below 12.

Just finished my Phase 1 test day. I went from 4 technically correct reps to 7 with the 21KG. Pretty sure I could have squeezed out another but didnt want to chance hurting myself. Strong just continues to deliver for me and sure is helping me keep the old man out!

Happy New Year everyone.

Regards Paul

I am currently running this as we speak. Just completed the 14x2 workout, and it was good. In 3 weeks when you complete phase one I should be about halfway through the 3 rep month. I can update with my thoughts around that time, if you’re interested.

Here are some of my thoughts at this time.

-the volume waves from month to month throughout the entire program if you double and possibly triple the volume as you go.
-I am still very early but the number of sets (20x1) have not been difficult and are making my form feel very dialed in.
-I have done a fair bit of A+A snatching. These longer workouts feel very much like that.
-More thinking about A+A. The sets of 1 take me about 5- 8seconds, 2 about 16-20 seconds and 3 about 24-30 seconds. On this program the majority of sets are for 2 reps. That puts us perfectly in a A+A set length. Though different of course I can see why it feels like a traditional A+A workout.

Most importantly I’m still too early in this experiment to say anything definitively, but I am enjoying the workouts so far, and would recommend giving it a try after you complete phase 1.
Also my 36kgs which were a sketchy 3rm at the beginning fly up very easily now.
I am ready to start on Monday, Just wondering how it was progressing for you?

Regards Paul

Well
I am ready to start on Monday, Just wondering how it was progressing for you?

Regards Paul
Well things were going great, until they weren’t, not due to the program, but my health, and the holidays. I wish I had some better feedback but here is my honest experience.

The good: I came into the 3 rep month feeling strong completed 10x3 in under 30 minutes, which was on pace with my 10x3 from last cycle. My 20x2 workouts all clocked in around 40 mins.

The Bad: due to an increased work schedule leading to the holidays I was only able to squeeze in 2 workouts that week. No sweat I’ve done that before it’s part of the game. The issue was one of those workouts fell on Christmas Day. I should have managed my time a bit better but I wasn’t able to get that workout in. So I only trained 1x that week. This rarely happens to me but it’s the holidays so I let it go. I worked the day after Christmas and returned for my 14x3 workout ready to crush it 12/27.

The ugly: on 12/27 I showed up, didn’t feel great and my whoop band said my recovery had dropped everyday since Christmas (I wasn’t sure why) but I was going to get my lifts in and finish. Warmed up got to my 3rd set and pulled a muscle in my neck. Tried to push through and by the 5th set I had to call it a day. I woke up with a fever 12/28 and tested positive for COVID. I’ve had a couple days of fever, today is my first day really up and about. I just played around with my bells to get a little movement and will start back at 10x3 tomorrow or the next day depending on my recovery.

I have had some struggles with the program thus far, adding variety at the end of cycle one, and getting sick this past week, but I’m still all in on the program. I’m going to finish up the 3 rep month at double the volume and I’ll let you know where I’m at. I’m looking forward to hearing how the 2 rep months treats you.

Well

Well things were going great, until they weren’t, not due to the program, but my health, and the holidays. I wish I had some better feedback but here is my honest experience.

The good: I came into the 3 rep month feeling strong completed 10x3 in under 30 minutes, which was on pace with my 10x3 from last cycle. My 20x2 workouts all clocked in around 40 mins.

The Bad: due to an increased work schedule leading to the holidays I was only able to squeeze in 2 workouts that week. No sweat I’ve done that before it’s part of the game. The issue was one of those workouts fell on Christmas Day. I should have managed my time a bit better but I wasn’t able to get that workout in. So I only trained 1x that week. This rarely happens to me but it’s the holidays so I let it go. I worked the day after Christmas and returned for my 14x3 workout ready to crush it 12/27.

The ugly: on 12/27 I showed up, didn’t feel great and my whoop band said my recovery had dropped everyday since Christmas (I wasn’t sure why) but I was going to get my lifts in and finish. Warmed up got to my 3rd set and pulled a muscle in my neck. Tried to push through and by the 5th set I had to call it a day. I woke up with a fever 12/28 and tested positive for COVID. I’ve had a couple days of fever, today is my first day really up and about. I just played around with my bells to get a little movement and will start back at 10x3 tomorrow or the next day depending on my recovery.

I have had some struggles with the program thus far, adding variety at the end of cycle one, and getting sick this past week, but I’m still all in on the program. I’m going to finish up the 3 rep month at double the volume and I’ll let you know where I’m at. I’m looking forward to hearing how the 2 rep months treats you.
Yes for sure I will let you know. I am glad you are feeling better and will update when I complete the 2 re months.

Just looking over my notes from 2022. My workouts get logged on my iPhone in the Notes.

So, start of 2022, just able to do 24kg getups and learnt clean and press 2x20. As of 31/12/2022, C&Ping 2 x 24 for reps, and able to do 1-2 reps 2x28, a 32kg getup ( though that was literally one rep each side on New Year’s Eve). My DKBFS, which i’d hardly done, is more rock solid than earlier in the year by a lot. I still weigh roughly the same, maybe a touch heavier, though my tshirts are tighter up top, and well, I love to eat haha.
I’m also now doing sets of 5, which seemed impossible earlier in the year, so my general work capacity has improved. For a 40+ average bloke with a dodgy knee, that’s quite a big improvement in a year. All without killing myself in the gym. Working hard, sure, but never heaving and gasping and feeling like somethings going to break.

DBL C&P rocks, and so does Strong, and Giant, and The Wolf !!

Much appreciated @Geoff Neupert !

The good thing about sets of 5, is that they make sets of 4 kind of easy haha.

I’ve definitely started being more conscious of full body tension when pressing. My left side ( upper back ) doesn’t naturally engage like my right side, and if I don’t squeeze my butt and core, my left shoulder is annoyed, like a tightness at the top of my arm. When I focus on full body tightness, it’s completely fine.

That sucked. 3 days a week seems to be if for me.

I bought myself Q&D for Xmas, I might ease into that on my Wednesday and keep Strong Mon, Fri

The higher reps of phase 2 I’m finding do able on the day, but tough to recover from if I do 3 times a week. In fairness it’s by far the most pressing volume I’ve ever done, so it’s not a surprise.

It’s taken me a long time to work out, but I make better progress when I just ease into things and take my time. I’m really not in a rush, so why push it.

That sucked. 3 days a week seems to be if for me.

I bought myself Q&D for Xmas, I might ease into that on my Wednesday and keep Strong Mon, Fri

The higher reps of phase 2 I’m finding do able on the day, but tough to recover from if I do 3 times a week. In fairness it’s by far the most pressing volume I’ve ever done, so it’s not a surprise.

It’s taken me a long time to work out, but I make better progress when I just ease into things and take my time. I’m really not in a rush, so why push it.
Q&D is great for days when I’m feeling extra tired from work. It’s sort of therapeutic in a way yet still very effective.
Some days I I use about 12 minutes (two rounds) of swing/push-ups as a warmup.

Q&D is great for days when I’m feeling extra tired from work. It’s sort of therapeutic in a way yet still very effective.
Some days I I use about 12 minutes (two rounds) of swing/push-ups as a warmup.
Thanks mate, I want more conditioning this year, and I think once I give it a few months, I could do it in combination with phase 1 of strong. I just need to stick with once a week for a good 8 weeks and get used to it before I increase frequency.

Back
Top Bottom