all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

So, my minor left shoulder is annoying me. It’s always annoyed me with overhead movements for years. It’s basically tightness, so I’ve always just pushed through. Finally saw a PT and it’s basically thoracic mobility on my left, and my left side upper back is weaker. My mobility is actually pretty good, but because my right side is much better, I try to naturally put both bells in line, which annoys my left side.

I did more pressing volume last year than I ever have, and while I could push through, I’m going to pause phase 2 ( again ! ), do phase 1 with DKBFS and rehab/prehab/work on my left shoulder/upper back.

Frustrating but I have 2 x 28, and 2x32 bells, and I doubt I’ll get away with ignoring my shoulder issue when I get to them. I’d rather fix it now than hurt myself.

I’m pretty confident some DKBFS will strengthen my upper back on my left side as well.

So, my minor left shoulder is annoying me. It’s always annoyed me with overhead movements for years. It’s basically tightness, so I’ve always just pushed through. Finally saw a PT and it’s basically thoracic mobility on my left, and my left side upper back is weaker. My mobility is actually pretty good, but because my right side is much better, I try to naturally put both bells in line, which annoys my left side.

I did more pressing volume last year than I ever have, and while I could push through, I’m going to pause phase 2 ( again ! ), do phase 1 with DKBFS and rehab/prehab/work on my left shoulder/upper back.

Frustrating but I have 2 x 28, and 2x32 bells, and I doubt I’ll get away with ignoring my shoulder issue when I get to them. I’d rather fix it now than hurt myself.

I’m pretty confident some DKBFS will strengthen my upper back on my left side as well.
I’ve always had trouble with my left shoulder while doing heavy TGU’s and when the volume increases in the later weeks of STRONG. the last half year I’ve had great succes with stretching my chest with straight arms as a part of my warmup. Try it for 40-60 seconds and see if it helps with your overhead mobility.

Just curious if you have tried the approach that Geoff recommends in the strong video for the LCCJ. They may help yu.

Regards Paul

Just curious if you have tried the approach that Geoff recommends in the strong video for the LCCJ. They may help yu.

Regards Paul
I have Strong and also the RMF videos that include drills for learning the jerk that definitely increase thoracic mobility. I’ll rewatch them today thanks mate.

It’s a strength issue as well. PT has prescribed bent over rows for strength, which I hate, but need, so I’ll do them.

I’ve always had trouble with my left shoulder while doing heavy TGU’s and when the volume increases in the later weeks of STRONG. the last half year I’ve had great succes with stretching my chest with straight arms as a part of my warmup. Try it for 40-60 seconds and see if it helps with your overhead mobility.
Pec stretching is part of my rehab, thanks mate. I just recently did my first 32kg getup on both sides. I can tell my left side is weaker, but can still do TGU on both sides with the same weight, and I don’t get any tightness with my shoulder. Bit odd but I may add TGU’s daily to help my left side out

Pec stretching is part of my rehab, thanks mate. I just recently did my first 32kg getup on both sides. I can tell my left side is weaker, but can still do TGU on both sides with the same weight, and I don’t get any tightness with my shoulder. Bit odd but I may add TGU’s daily to help my left side out
I've actually found that doing higher volume C+P as part of The Giant has made my left shoulder feel much more stable and connected, and I've noticed that if I'm not focussing on "goosenecking" the kettlebell as I'm pressing it out then I sometimes get issues with impingement in the rear of my shoulder.

Not sure what you issue actually is, but I think the extra work (cleans AND presses) with a lighter weight (10+RM) really helped for me.

Of course, YMMV, good luck with the rehab mate.

Last edited:
Finished my second week of 3.0 w/24’s
Reps increased a lot.
Practicing the movements = better movements
Nice pumped feeling in back from shoulder blades up.
Understanding a little of what “the weights will feel like toys” is going to mean.

65yrs
183 lbs.

Last edited:

I’m just wondering about Dry Fighting Weight. I’d have to drop to 2x20kg anyway for DKBFS, but it might also be light enough that it would be fine for my shoulder for C&P, as I’m comfortable with 2x24 C&P, and can do a few C&P 2x28kg.

This way I can get some squats in, as well as continuing to C&P, but with a light enough weight I don’t piss my shoulder off.

When I had elbow tendinitis earlier, I was fine still doing C&P when I dropped the weight.

Might try it out tomorrow

Nope. Trying to stick to a plan this year, which includes Strong with DKBFS, so will just stick with that. I have been guilty of changing things around too much before, but sticking to C&P Strong for most of last year worked really well, so I’ll stick with just a few movements this year as well.

Phase 1 with 2x20 shouldn’t tax me too much, it’s an in between size for me, but I may run it through phase 2, so am happy to have a few easier weeks to get used to it.

Though I will add lighter pressing, as assistance and to keep some pressing volume. Thinking 5 x 10 ( BBB style ) 2x16, which is much lighter than my usual 2x24. See how that goes.

Squats are working quite well. Weight is not too challenging now, though I think end of phase 2 will be interesting. Shoulders are loving the rotation between straight pressing a lighter weight 5 sets of 10, and next session bottoms up TGU’s as well as shoulder weakness stuff.

Been a while since I regularly squatted and feeling good.

Weights going up easy. Kind of too easy, 10 singles I’m doing as one set. Just have to be patient I know. Giving me more energy for bottoms up getups which are doing wonders for my mobility and shoulders, especially the weak tight side. Failed a 20kg bottoms up getup this morning, either slippery ( it’s humid as anything here now ) or just fatigue. No chalk allowed on the rubber mats at my gym. Either way, it’s all going well.

Well half way through running phase 1 again as an A&A type practice by doubling the sets per Geoffs article. I am really liking it and I am getting stronger as its getting easier and easier and I am recovering better. Just got a nice WHE effect today in my archery practice as I am now shooting more arrows at a higher draw weight more accurately than ever before! That makes me smile!

Regards Paul

Hi
I just finished phase 1.
2 times a week for 12 weeks.
Warm up: OS Reset performance Press
DCP @ 2x24 with 2'/set
30' all in max

pre test : 5TRM
post test : 12TRM

Simple, but damn effective!
Thanks Mr Neupert
Dude, you crushed it!! That's awesome!

Question for everyone, 2x20 feels too light. Instead of 8x2, I’m doing 2 sets of 8. I used to barbell squat before covid and I think I’m back in the swing of it, and I’m thinking I could re start with 2 x 24. I’d normally finish off what I’m doing, but the 2x20 just feel too easy.

I’d prefer to go heavier and do less reps, which is why I’m thinking of a restart with heavier bells. I want to strengthen my legs and switch to C&J.

Question for everyone, 2x20 feels too light. Instead of 8x2, I’m doing 2 sets of 8. I used to barbell squat before covid and I think I’m back in the swing of it, and I’m thinking I could re start with 2 x 24. I’d normally finish off what I’m doing, but the 2x20 just feel too easy.

I’d prefer to go heavier and do less reps, which is why I’m thinking of a restart with heavier bells. I want to strengthen my legs and switch to C&J.
Too light for double front squats?

Back
Top Bottom