all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Too light for double front squats?
You know, I think I’m just missing cleans. Love cleans. High volume pressing does give me minor niggles in my shoulders.

I stumbled upon BTB in KB express ultra. Dbl cleans only. Paired with getups, because I absolutely love getups ( standard grip with a pause, heavy, light bottoms up, light bottoms up with a beer can on the bell ( bit of a novelty but combines two of my favourite things ), I think it’s something I’d like a lot.

I always do prying squat warmups, so I could just add a few sets to get my squat fix.

Finishing off a 2 week shutdown at work today. Has played havoc on my training, but my plan is to skip to the end of phase 1 with dbl squats, as I’m quite confident I can do 3 sets of 10 ( final week ), and I will do them to finish it off , then I’ll go back and finish phase 2 C&P with my 2x24’s. Shoulder is feeling good, and I have strategies to keep my shoulder happy when doing lots of pressing. I will do Mon Fri, just to give my shoulder more rest, and do some kind of conditioning on Wed.

I enjoy the ballistics more than the grinds I think.

I did the last workout of phase 1 with dbl FSL yesterday.

This morning I picked up where I left off phase 2 C&P. W20 which is sets of 5 lol, Bit rusty, and push pressed the first two sets, but after that pressed with no shoulder issues whatsoever.

I definitely prefer ballistics!

Quick C&P question.

Can you over power the clean ?

I feel like when I put too much power into it, I catch the bells high, which can tighten up my neck, and just feels a bit wrong. When this happens, I consciously put a bit less power in the clean, and catch them lower, just above waist height. It feels much more efficient when I catch them lower, and no cranky neck.

@Halfakneecap It sounds like a video would be nice here. My shoulder, upper trap or neck do next to nothing during a clean because I have my elbow fixed against my abdomen. I think the instructors will be able to assist you a lot better provided they have something visual to go by. Also, the thought of clean a pair of bells of my 4-5RM just below my waist line sounds awfully painful and dangerous to other areas of the body.

It’s just above my waist where I catch them, not below. Just above belly button. It just feels better than when I really push the bells high, and then they kind of flip into the rack with a bit of a thud. No wrist banging or anything.

Hello!
I just ran Phase 1 of Strong! using double 45s with Clean and Push Press. Having just re-tested and obtained 4 Cleans and MP I feel I could do 4 C & PP with 55s. Should I stay the course and finish Phase 2 or would it be better to go as heavy as possible using the 55s?
Thanks!

Hello!
I just ran Phase 1 of Strong! using double 45s with Clean and Push Press. Having just re-tested and obtained 4 Cleans and MP I feel I could do 4 C & PP with 55s. Should I stay the course and finish Phase 2 or would it be better to go as heavy as possible using the 55s?
Thanks!
Personally Id go heavier for a bit and then switch back to the lighter bells ans run it with strict press. I think you can learn a lot doing the heavier cleans for a bIt.
Or perhaps onto the Giant.

Hello!
Thanks!
Phase 2 is challenging but worth it. I prefer low rep heavy, but there are a lot of positives to higher reps.

Hello!
Thanks!
You can do that.. or just use your current size bells and shift to ph2 and then retest your c and pp with 55s again after ph2

I just bought Kettlebell Strong, with the 10 year anniversary PDF.

I understand there is a 6-week foundation program, followed by a hypertrophy program with a Short version and a Slow and Steady version. Where can I find Slow and Steady in the PDF? It doesn't come up when I do a search.

Don't get me wrong , the PDF is densely packed with a lot of great material.

I just bought Kettlebell Strong, with the 10 year anniversary PDF.

I understand there is a 6-week foundation program, followed by a hypertrophy program with a Short version and a Slow and Steady version. Where can I find Slow and Steady in the PDF? It doesn't come up when I do a search.

Don't get me wrong , the PDF is densely packed with a lot of great material.
It’s on pages 79-80 in the version I got with Geoff’s legacy collection sale. I don’t know if the tenth anniversary edition has different page numbers. It’s in “The ‘Strong’ Program” section.

It’s on pages 79-80 in the version I got with Geoff’s legacy collection sale. I don’t know if the tenth anniversary edition has different page numbers. It’s in “The ‘Strong’ Program” section.

I had a brain ^*#%. I didn't realize there are 2 PDFs - the bonus one and the manual, which I just now downloaded.

Thanks!

So if someone wants to keep running through STRONG! And the GIANT from 24kg’s to 48kg’s, is there a need to break from DC&P and DC&PP during that journey from an overuse injury point of view? Or is there any kind of exercises that need to be added to prevent overuse injury?

I’m 41 yo, 6’4” @206lbs. I’ve just hit a year of consistently training. It’s all been with @Geoff Neupert programs, and 90% of its just been the DC&P with an active negative. Last year was with THE GIANT and currently I’m running STRONG! Phase 1 w/ 24’s and in 3 weeks I’ll begin Phase 2 SLOW AND STEADY. The transformation not only aesthetically but also in how I feel has been incredible! I would like to run STRONG! and THE GIANT until I can complete with double 48’s and just use cycles of with DC&PP as needed moving into heavier bells.

To meet this long term goal and NOT get an overuse type injury do I need to add anything exercise wise (like rows, snatches, pull ups, direct ab work, etc) or programming wise (like a single bell program or calisthenics such as EASY MUSCLE Schedule C?). I do 3 sets of 5 Goblet Squats with a medium weight as part of my warm-up to maintain the pattern. Just wondering if I should do anything else.

Has anyone here stayed on these programs on a long term focus like this? If so, any advice/insights would be great!

Thank you!

Last edited:
So if someone wants to keep running through STRONG! And the GIANT from 24kg’s to 48kg’s, is there a need to break from DC&P and DC&PP during that journey from an overuse injury point of view? Or is there any kind of exercises that need to be added to prevent overuse injury?

I’m 41 yo, 6’4” @206lbs. I’ve just hit a year of consistently training. It’s all been with @Geoff Neupert programs, and 90% of its just been the DC&P with an active negative. Last year was with THE GIANT and currently I’m running STRONG! Phase 1 w/ 24’s and in 3 weeks I’ll begin Phase 2 SLOW AND STEADY. The transformation not only aesthetically but also in how I feel has been incredible! I would like to run STRONG! and THE GIANT until I can complete with double 48’s and just use cycles of with DC&PP as needed moving into heavier bells.

To meet this long term goal and NOT get an overuse type injury do I need to add anything exercise wise (like rows, snatches, pull ups, direct ab work, etc) or programming wise (like a single bell program or calisthenics such as EASY MUSCLE Schedule C?). I do 3 sets of 5 Goblet Squats with a medium weight as part of my warm-up to maintain the pattern. Just wondering if I should do anything else.

Has anyone here stayed on these programs on a long term focus like this? If so, any advice/insights would be great!

Thank you!
Congratulations! I have been doing dbl C&P for just over a year now, first Giant 3.0 and then Strong phase 1 and just getting through phase 2 ( 2x24 ). I have had some shoulder issues, minor really, bit I had to pause and work on some tightness in my left shoulder. While I was fixing that, I did Strong phase 1 dbl kb squats.

Now I’m finishing off phase 2 C&P. I do 2 x a week now. It’s a big jump in volume. Worth it though

You might find a month long break between is good for you. My intention when I finish phase 2 is to do try A&A with heavy dbl cleans, to give my shoulders a break.

Currently trying Q&D 2 x a week as well as Strong for conditioning and think a solid 6 week block of just Q&Dnwould be great to break things up.

Thank you!
As to your last paragraph I had been on a steady diet of C+P (push presses done at times too) with kettlebells for several years. In the past few months I've ventured off in a completely different direction training wise (haven't touched a kettlebell in quite a while now) but I plan a return this spring.

I found the clean and press was a movement I could do that didn't aggravate the dings and dents I have from years of training "abuses" in that they didn't aggravate my shoulders (kettlebells and dumbbells that is), didn't annoy my knees and wrists, etc.

I'm not a competitive lifter, couldn't care less as a matter of fact (but I respect those that do). I was just looking for an exercise protocol that would deliver many fitness benefits and discovered the ROP and subsequently Geoff's programs focusing on a combination of cleans with an overhead movement and reaped many benefits. Now I'm certainly no fitness model but I gained some muscle in the shoulders and got my resting pulse into the 40s.

As to things like pullups and other movements I can say this. I was able to maintain most of my pulllup ability for a long time focusing on programs like "Strong " and "The Giant" without adding them into the mix.

Trust his process.

Back
Top Bottom