all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

You might find a month long break between is good for you. My intention when I finish phase 2 is to do try A&A with heavy dbl cleans, to give my shoulders a break.
@Halfakneecap …. Congrats on your progress! Hope the shoulder is done giving you problems.

I kept waiting for a point all last year where I felt like I needed a break from cleans and presses but it never came…. Still don’t feel like I need it (especially since my STRONG! Training sessions take less time than my GIANT sessions! I think I’m just kind of feeling a bit of “this is too good to be true” paranoia, so maybe it just has me stuck in my own head.

As to your last paragraph I had been on a steady diet of C+P (push presses done at times too) with kettlebells for several years.
@johngrahill….. this is re-assuring to hear! Thank you!

I found the clean and press was a movement I could do that didn't aggravate the dings and dents I have from years of training "abuses" in that they didn't aggravate my shoulders (kettlebells and dumbbells that is), didn't annoy my knees and wrists, etc.
Same here, I’ve had a lot of dings and dents from college sports and then the grunt life in the military….. DC&P just make me feel good!

I'm not a competitive lifter, couldn't care less as a matter of fact (but I respect those that do). I was just looking for an exercise protocol that would deliver many fitness benefits and discovered the ROP and subsequently Geoff's programs focusing on a combination of cleans with an overhead movement and reaped many benefits. Now I'm certainly no fitness model but I gained some muscle in the shoulders and got my resting pulse into the 40s.

As to things like pullups and other movements I can say this. I was able to maintain most of my pulllup ability for a long time focusing on programs like "Strong " and "The Giant" without adding them into the mix.

Trust his process.
I'd say i'm in the same boat.... I'm just focused on longevity for the next 40+ years; injury prevention, muscle mass, strength, body fat, resting HR etc.; and want to achieve those goals as simply as possible. Geoff's programs and eating approaches seem to be getting me there with minimum effort. Lost a bunch of weight and put on a good amount of muscle with THE GIANT. Now 5 weeks into STRONG! Phase 1 and I'm down 4lbs in those five weeks with 3 workouts a week that have taken 10-15 minutes a piece and doing some IF fasting and carb cycling on lifting days!

To be clear; I DO NOT WANT TO ADD ANYTHING TO THE PROGRAM. I guess it just all seems to be good to be true and that has me paranoid in thinking I can run these cycles for several years as I work to double 48's, because as I searched through the forum it seems like not many people have stuck with it for more than 1 or 2 run cycles. So this made me wonder if I'm missing something.

In the manual @Geoff Neupert states "How strong do you think you would be if you could do that workout with a pair of Beasts?" (mentioned in the ONE program, but I believe applies to STRONG! just as much.) I want to do just that because I believe its a long-term simple and effective path to get me to my long term goals. I'm was just afraid I might be a bit naive, but I will take your advice and just "Trust his process."

@Halfakneecap …. Congrats on your progress! Hope the shoulder is done giving you problems.

I kept waiting for a point all last year where I felt like I needed a break from cleans and presses but it never came…. Still don’t feel like I need it (especially since my STRONG! Training sessions take less time than my GIANT sessions! I think I’m just kind of feeling a bit of “this is too good to be true” paranoia, so maybe it just has me stuck in my own head.

@johngrahill….. this is re-assuring to hear! Thank you!

Same here, I’ve had a lot of dings and dents from college sports and then the grunt life in the military….. DC&P just make me feel good!

I'd say i'm in the same boat.... I'm just focused on longevity for the next 40+ years; injury prevention, muscle mass, strength, body fat, resting HR etc.; and want to achieve those goals as simply as possible. Geoff's programs and eating approaches seem to be getting me there with minimum effort. Lost a bunch of weight and put on a good amount of muscle with THE GIANT. Now 5 weeks into STRONG! Phase 1 and I'm down 4lbs in those five weeks with 3 workouts a week that have taken 10-15 minutes a piece and doing some IF fasting and carb cycling on lifting days!

To be clear; I DO NOT WANT TO ADD ANYTHING TO THE PROGRAM. I guess it just all seems to be good to be true and that has me paranoid in thinking I can run these cycles for several years as I work to double 48's, because as I searched through the forum it seems like not many people have stuck with it for more than 1 or 2 run cycles. So this made me wonder if I'm missing something.

In the manual @Geoff Neupert states "How strong do you think you would be if you could do that workout with a pair of Beasts?" (mentioned in the ONE program, but I believe applies to STRONG! just as much.) I want to do just that because I believe its a long-term simple and effective path to get me to my long term goals. I'm was just afraid I might be a bit naive, but I will take your advice and just "Trust his process."
@gatorbait I say go forth and conquer!

So if someone wants to keep running through STRONG! And the GIANT from 24kg’s to 48kg’s, is there a need to break from DC&P and DC&PP during that journey from an overuse injury point of view? Or is there any kind of exercises that need to be added to prevent overuse injury?
No.

MP's and PP's are generally great for shoulder health and maintaining full shoulder ROM.
I’m 41 yo, 6’4” @206lbs. I’ve just hit a year of consistently training. It’s all been with @Geoff Neupert programs, and 90% of its just been the DC&P with an active negative. Last year was with THE GIANT and currently I’m running STRONG! Phase 1 w/ 24’s and in 3 weeks I’ll begin Phase 2 SLOW AND STEADY. The transformation not only aesthetically but also in how I feel has been incredible! I would like to run STRONG! and THE GIANT until I can complete with double 48’s and just use cycles of with DC&PP as needed moving into heavier bells.
Nice work!

This is a GREAT goal.
To meet this long term goal and NOT get an overuse type injury do I need to add anything exercise wise (like rows, snatches, pull ups, direct ab work, etc) or programming wise (like a single bell program or calisthenics such as EASY MUSCLE Schedule C?). I do 3 sets of 5 Goblet Squats with a medium weight as part of my warm-up to maintain the pattern. Just wondering if I should do anything else.
No, as long as your pressing mechanics are solid. You should also have a good restoration plan in place for your off days.

Nice work!
@Geoff Neupert … Thank you! And thanks for putting out so much great material!

No, as long as your pressing mechanics are solid. You should also have a good restoration plan in place for your off days.
I do walking on the treadmill with incline and a weighted vest on off days… not super heavy or steep, just enough to get in and stay in Zone 2 for 30 min. (Use HR monitor to track.). I’m not very structured other than that and maybe need to get more deliberate. I do go to a chriropractor once a month and use an inversion table as needed… and then it’s just some resets… lots of segmental and egg rolling. Spring summer and fall it’s a lot of chasing kids around the yard.

Might try to put something more deliberate together.

@gatorbait I am on week 47 of consecutive Giant with no issues with my shoulders. They quite honestly feel the best they’ve ever felt in my history of lifting.
That is Awesome to hear….. yes it’s the same for me. Never felt better!

Here’s a crazy question. I was rereading the STRONG and ONE combo when answering @GovernorSilver’s question and got to thinking… could you do this with DC&P (STRONG) and DC&J (ONE)? I ask mostly because I want to start doing C&J at some point and this seems like a cool blend for strength and conditioning.

Here’s a crazy question. I was rereading the STRONG and ONE combo when answering @GovernorSilver’s question and got to thinking… could you do this with DC&P (STRONG) and DC&J (ONE)? I ask mostly because I want to start doing C&J at some point and this seems like a cool blend for strength and conditioning.
In my view it will become a bit too much volume for overhead movement. Why don’t you do C&J instead of C&P? Or do one of the other programs by @Geoff Neupert , like RMF, which focuses on C&J.

I decided to start Foundation Program from the bonus package.

I'm glad I did, instead of going straight to Easy Muscle Schedule A - the C&P only program.

There's so many cues that I wasn't aware of before getting STRONG. Foundation looks like the perfect program to practice those cues for double clean and double press before attempting to combine them into C&P. I also have a new respect for the double FSQ.

My first session was not exactly an a$$ kicking but it was a great wake up call.

Halfway through phase 2. Definitely not used to sets of 5, brutal for me. Though usually towards the later sets I get a bit of a 2nd wind and get there.

When I ran the GIANT the first 3-4 sets always seemed pretty tough no matter if it was sets of 4 reps or sets of 9 reps….don’t know why, but them my body seemed to accept the fact that “we are doing this today”

I wouldn't.

@mvikred is correct.

You'll get more than enough strength & conditioning from double C+J without having to use the "One" program.

Hope this helps.

I'm glad I did, instead of going straight to Easy Muscle Schedule A - the C&P only program.

There's so many cues that I wasn't aware of before getting STRONG. Foundation looks like the perfect program to practice those cues for double clean and double press before attempting to combine them into C&P. I also have a new respect for the double FSQ.

My first session was not exactly an a$$ kicking but it was a great wake up call.
Very smart move, @GovernorSilver!

Most people just don't know what they don't know until it's too late.

Halfway through phase 2. Definitely not used to sets of 5, brutal for me. Though usually towards the later sets I get a bit of a 2nd wind and get there.
That was my feelings many days when doing Strong. Some days after the first or second set I would have the thought that “today” will be the first day that I can get every rep every set, BUT I am not going to worry about it and just finish this set; always just finish THIS set.
And I never missed a rep nor a set. Sometimes I’d didn’t start feeling good until about the 5th or 6th set, but then I would get stronger.

I have the book, the videos, got to attend the strong seminar in person but still go back to the material as I am still working on further customizing each cue and drill so that I can use them best

Is the FOUNDATION PROGRAM in the manual or the videos? I’m not seeing it? Thanks!

Is the FOUNDATION PROGRAM in the manual or the videos? I’m not seeing it? Thanks!

It is in the bonus PDF.

I bought STRONG! during the bonus offer period, so I got 2 PDF files - one being the manual, the other being the file with all the bonus programs, including Foundation.

Been catching up on all these posts! Very helpful and insightful. Just finished phase 2 workout 27. Love this program and have finally stopped interfering by ‘adding needlessly to it’. Guilty of messaging Geoff asking ‘can I add this can I do that’ when I should just stfu and follow the program as written. And that is now what I am doing. I want to clean and press 32kg for 5 reps and have started strong with 2x24. This program will get me there as long as I shut up and just do it

It is in the bonus PDF.

I bought STRONG! during the bonus offer period, so I got 2 PDF files - one being the manual, the other being the file with all the bonus programs, including Foundation.
Ok thanks. I can quit looking then…. I picked up STRONG as an add on when I bought the GIANT or 3P Protocol….. can’t remember which.

Back
Top Bottom