all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

I think it’s too much, but you could try it and let us know
Oh i really belive that it works. C&P is the best exercise you can do with a KB IMO. But after two runs with RoP i don't know if i really should go with another pure C&P program. This time it would be doubles but i still got the feeling that my squat is miserable. Maybe i should try the alternating programs. At least for the 1. Phase it sounds reasonable.

But what would speak against putting both programs in the same week? Of course there would be now 4 workouts per week and not 3. But the workload per exercise would be a little less so the recovery should still be allright i think. Just would love to hear why this might be a bad idea.

@Dimitri87 , I kind of felt like my conditioning didn't improve on Phase 1, but I was also building the strength to continue into Phase 2. When the volume climbs, so did my conditioning.

Another fun side-effect: During one of my KB Strong! cycles, I popped into a gym to play with some deadlifts. I hadn't practiced my DL in a real long time, but I comfortably pulled probably 80 percent of my prior max. All those double cleans did a fine job of retaining my pulling strength.
Yeah, I think work capacity goes up during phase 2.

6x6 yesterday. Last rep was toughhhh but did it with the 2 mins rest. Felt easier than the 5x6 so thats progress for sure! Then 3 sets of pull ups. Still loving the program and I think im going to do phase 3 as I believe all those 6 reps with reduced time will make the 2x24 feel like nothing! Plus can’t hurt to improve my conditioning!

6x6 yesterday. Last rep was toughhhh but did it with the 2 mins rest. Felt easier than the 5x6 so thats progress for sure! Then 3 sets of pull ups. Still loving the program and I think im going to do phase 3 as I believe all those 6 reps with reduced time will make the 2x24 feel like nothing! Plus can’t hurt to improve my conditioning!
Most definitely you should to do Phase 3. I feel like it was, for the lack of a better term....the "pay-off" phase.

I did Strong! with 2x24k bells too. I spent my time in Phase 2 Slow and Steady being very disciplined about my rest time between sets with an eye towards Phase 3. When I got to Phase 3, it was challenging but I was prepared for it.

Phase 3 was also an excellent bridge for me for The Giant X beta test. I had planned to run the original Giant with the 2x24k when the beta test opportunity came along. Giant X is split into 3 Phases that are 8 weeks long. I have completed the 1st and 2nd phases and yesterday I finished week 3 of the 3rd Phase.

When I finish Giant X, I will have spent a year with the 2x24k bells. I plan to begin Strong! With 2x32k bells sometime in the fall.

Most definitely you should to do Phase 3. I feel like it was, for the lack of a better term....the "pay-off" phase.

I did Strong! with 2x24k bells too. I spent my time in Phase 2 Slow and Steady being very disciplined about my rest time between sets with an eye towards Phase 3. When I got to Phase 3, it was challenging but I was prepared for it.

Phase 3 was also an excellent bridge for me for The Giant X beta test. I had planned to run the original Giant with the 2x24k when the beta test opportunity came along. Giant X is split into 3 Phases that are 8 weeks long. I have completed the 1st and 2nd phases and yesterday I finished week 3 of the 3rd Phase.

When I finish Giant X, I will have spent a year with the 2x24k bells. I plan to begin Strong! With 2x32k bells sometime in the fall.
I fully agree. feel spending a lot of time owning the 10 sets of 6 will be extremely beneficial both for strength and hypertrophy. On that note how have you found the hypertrophy so far? I’m on a slight deficit to lose some weight so I have not seen much at all but wondered how yours has been? Seeing as you’re also doing Strong! With 2x24

Phase 1 update and results!

My back "went out" at the end of week 7.... so i missed training for workout 21-23. Got to the chiropractor and then took it easy to let low back muscles settle down. Felt good enough by the end of this week to test on the day that was scheduled for workout 24. 10 solid reps!!! I could've ground out another rep or two, but wouldn't have been able to maintain solid form and I didn't want to risk with my back. Cant thank @Geoff Neupert enough for this program! This program rocks!!!

So from a 5RM to a 10RM with double 24's in 8 weeks, with 7 weeks of training 10-20 minutes a day of training time! Bodyweight stayed about the same, but a little leaner in the waist and thicker around the shoulders, so a little recomp!

As I stated earlier a couple of weeks ago, I didn't get around to watching the videos until around week 6 (if you haven't yet done it, WATCH THE VIDEOS) and was thinking of regressing to lock in better technique by recycling into Phase 1. After tweaking my low back I definitely want to take a step back before pushing into Phase 2 SLOW AND STEADY and make sure I'm ready for the volume and load...

Im thinking of 3 different options:
1. Just go all the way back to Workout 1 with the 24's and re-run Phase 1 in full continuing to work new technique cues from the videos
2. Run a cycle of Schedule C from EASY MUSCLE to really de-load the spine
3. Run Phase 3 of STRONG! with double 16's to get some conditioning and fat loss while reducing the load and focusing on technique

I'm open to any feedback y'all might have!

My back "went out" at the end of week 7.... so i missed training for workout 21-23. Got to the chiropractor and then took it easy to let low back muscles settle down. Felt good enough by the end of this week to test on the day that was scheduled for workout 24. 10 solid reps!!! I could've ground out another rep or two, but wouldn't have been able to maintain solid form and I didn't want to risk with my back. Cant thank @Geoff Neupert enough for this program! This program rocks!!!

So from a 5RM to a 10RM with double 24's in 8 weeks, with 7 weeks of training 10-20 minutes a day of training time! Bodyweight stayed about the same, but a little leaner in the waist and thicker around the shoulders, so a little recomp!

As I stated earlier a couple of weeks ago, I didn't get around to watching the videos until around week 6 (if you haven't yet done it, WATCH THE VIDEOS) and was thinking of regressing to lock in better technique by recycling into Phase 1. After tweaking my low back I definitely want to take a step back before pushing into Phase 2 SLOW AND STEADY and make sure I'm ready for the volume and load...

1. Just go all the way back to Workout 1 with the 24's and re-run Phase 1 in full continuing to work new technique cues from the videos
3. Run Phase 3 of STRONG! with double 16's to get some conditioning and fat loss while reducing the load and focusing on technique

If you redo phase 1, it’s not that long, and you’ll do it easily. Then you’ll be ready for phase 2.

I fully agree. feel spending a lot of time owning the 10 sets of 6 will be extremely beneficial both for strength and hypertrophy. On that note how have you found the hypertrophy so far? I’m on a slight deficit to lose some weight so I have not seen much at all but wondered how yours has been? Seeing as you’re also doing Strong! With 2x24
I have experienced some hypertrophy. But...hypertrophy has not been my goal. My focus has been fat loss. I have had good results with that goal. (When I have my diet dialed in.) I have certainly gained strength as I have progressed through the 3 phases of Strong! into The Giant X.

I plan to share the results of my year with the 2x24k bells in a post after I finish the X3 phase of The Giant X.

With all due respect, you were just hurt. Rather, then try something new, you should dial in your technique. Maybe repeat Phase 1 and really try to get good reps every lift.

REST

I haven’t really stuck to rest periods, but the last few post’ about rest periods got me curious. 10x4 this morning and managed all within 2 mins per set. Considering I don’t really stick to rest periods I’m pretty happy with that.
Wow, 10x3 today and i did them easily within 2 mins, could have done every 90s I’m sure. I’m heading into sets of 6, so I’ll stick to rest times for the lower rep sets, and when I do sets of 5 and 6, just see how I go.

With all due respect, you were just hurt. Rather, then try something new, you should dial in your technique. Maybe repeat Phase 1 and really try to get good reps every lift.
Appreciate it… this is what my gut was telling me and what I decided to do.

@gatorbait,

Nice job!

Here's what I would do:

1. Fix your lower back. (PM me for ideas if you'd like.)
2. Re-run Phase 1 with dialed in technique.
3. Move to Phase 2, Slow & Steady, with new technique in place.

Let us know about your results.
Thanks Geoff! Thats in line with what I was thinking, so I’m glad to see I was thinking on the right track!

Last night I started over at 10x1 but did the reps slow and deliberately…
-Clean bells
-run through the cues (about 5 sec)
-press
-hold solid lockout, checking for tension leaks (5 s)
-active negative to the rack (5 s)
-rerun the cue’s checklist (5 s)
-return bells to the floor

Felt really good!

I’ll send a PM to you shortly! Thank you!

Sets of 5 today. I let the rest time go out to 3 mins and it was tough but I managed. I’m in a calorie deficit at the moment and think I did pretty well. High rep sets are good for technique.

I'm in Week 4 of Strong! Foundation.

Sometimes in the heat of exercise I forget a cue or 3, especially during a set of double presses. The ramping up muscle tension, breathing out with effort, etc. I'm sure all have something to do with it. So for today I decided to make myself run through the checklist of cues at the bottom of every rep. This slowed me down a bit but I think it's worth investing the extra second or 3 to dial in the technique.

High rep sets are good for technique.
Respectfully, I must disagree. This is one of the reasons SF keeps the sets shorter than most for strength movements, as after 10-15 seconds technique tends to diminish. There are good things that happen with those longer sets, but technique is not generally one of them. If you really want to focus on technique, keep the sets short.

Respectfully, I must disagree. This is one of the reasons SF keeps the sets shorter than most for strength movements, as after 10-15 seconds technique tends to diminish. There are good things that happen with those longer sets, but technique is not generally one of them. If you really want to focus on technique, keep the sets short.
I find as I get more tired it forces me to focus on technique. I know I’m going to be gassed after a few reps so I make sure to mentally go through each stage before each rep. I find it helps

I do agree with you if it’s a new skill/movement though. I’d definitely keep reps low until I was comfortable with my form.

Last edited:
Did 10 sets of 4 Monday and had to do the 10 sets of 5 on Tuesday due to increased work load (my job!) so Wednesday and Thursday were no goes for training. Tomorrow is 7 sets of 6 and I’m hoping to be fresh to do them easy! Baby is going through a bit of a regression and not sleeping well which I can definitely feel affects me a lot! Phase 3 does look scary as hell atm! Haha

Back
Top Bottom