all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

I find as I get more tired it forces me to focus on technique. I know I’m going to be gassed after a few reps so I make sure to mentally go through each stage before each rep. I find it helps
The other side of this is that perhaps the most important single quality to develop in one’s strength training is getting and staying tight. And that tends to fade with higher reps.

-S-

Staying tight is right!

Finally up to sets of 6 in phase 2. Not that many sets, but boy, they are no joke. Like all of GN’s stuff, I honestly wasn’t sure when I started if I’d be able to do sets of 6, but slowly over time I’ve adapted, as always happens, and it actually wasn’t as bad as I’d thought.

When I started phase 1, I think I could just do 4 reps of 2x24. First set today, I felt I could have done 3 or more. Big difference. Be interesting to see when I’m done.

I’ve been in a calorie deficit for a good 6 weeks, but I think now I’m up to higher rep sets I need to eat more. I can definitely do that haha

I looked over phase 3 this morning. Woah, max sets and reps every session, 3 x a week, with reducing rest times. Damn. I’d have to start at 3 mins rest time, and if I was to do it 3x a week, I’d need to do 2 sessions before I reduced rest time i think, which would basically double the length of the program.

I looked over phase 3 this morning. Woah, max sets and reps every session, 3 x a week, with reducing rest times. Damn. I’d have to start at 3 mins rest time, and if I was to do it 3x a week, I’d need to do 2 sessions before I reduced rest time i think, which would basically double the length of the program.
Although I haven't done Ph3, my suggestion is to not go to it as soon as you reach the end of Ph2. I would suggest timeless 10x6 consolidation for another 2-4 weeks. And when you do start Ph3, take your time. If the plan suggests a weekly change, you can decide to stick to it or just stay at one pace for some time and progress when you feel ready for the next. Dont chase the end, enjoy the journey :)

Although I haven't done Ph3, my suggestion is to not go to it as soon as you reach the end of Ph2. I would suggest timeless 10x6 consolidation for another 2-4 weeks. And when you do start Ph3, take your time. If the plan suggests a weekly change, you can decide to stick to it or just stay at one pace for some time and progress when you feel ready for the next. Dont chase the end, enjoy the journey :)
Trust the program. You will be ready for Phase 3 when you get there. It's ok to look ahead in the program. We all do it. Just don't let it overwhelm you. Stay disciplined in your rest periods in Phase 2 with an eye towards Phase 3. Reduce your Phase 2 rest periods on days you feel up to it. (During phase 2 Slow and Steady, I reduced some of the rest between sets to OTM)

I respectfully disagree with the advice to go timeless when you reach Phase 3. Trust the program and run it as it is written. You will be pleasantly surprised about what you are capable of when you reach Phase 3. As I said before, Phase 3 is the payoff Phase in Strong! because you consolidate all of your gains from the previous phases.

Trust the program. You will be ready for Phase 3 when you get there. It's ok to look ahead in the program. We all do it. Just don't let it overwhelm you. Stay disciplined in your rest periods in Phase 2 with an eye towards Phase 3. Reduce your Phase 2 rest periods on days you feel up to it. (During phase 2 Slow and Steady, I reduced some of the rest between sets to OTM)

I respectfully disagree with the advice to go timeless when you reach Phase 3. Trust the program and run it as it is written. You will be pleasantly surprised about what you are capable of when you reach Phase 3. As I said before, Phase 3 is the payoff Phase in Strong! because you consolidate all of your gains from the previous phases.
Thanks mate, conditioning is something I want to focus on, so I’m going to give it a go. I’m ok with rest periods on lower rep sets now, but I’ll just have to really start to stick to them from now til I finish phase 2.

Don't disagree with your view but I do believe in being conservative and consolidating gains rather than trying to progress. Having done many of GN's programs, being conservative always worked for me. But, hey, if you are capable yes definitely go for it. Just listen to your body and choose what the body is telling you.

8x6 yesterday and I managed it with 2 mins rest between. It was tough! I have also been feeling ill and not 100% so surprised I managed it! I started taking Creatine and it’s played havoc with my stomach so going to stop that as it didn’t have the desired affect! I think I like the idea of 2-4 weeks of timeless before hitting phase 3 tbh so I’ll likely give that a go!

8x6 yesterday and I managed it with 2 mins rest between. It was tough! I have also been feeling ill and not 100% so surprised I managed it! I started taking Creatine and it’s played havoc with my stomach so going to stop that as it didn’t have the desired affect! I think I like the idea of 2-4 weeks of timeless before hitting phase 3 tbh so I’ll likely give that a go!
Well done mate!

I do find high rep C&P 3 x a week can be tough. I’ve never done so much pressing volume. I’m a few workouts behind you on phase 2.

I had to pause to sort out some shoulder mobility issues, and sometimes I find I need 3 rest days, but it feels good to get through it.

I can do 2 mins rest for sets of 4 comfortably and I think I can do it for sets of 5 and 6, or at least close enough that by the end of phase 2 I’ll be able to.

Phase 3 seems daunting, 60 reps 3x a week with reducing rest times, hmmm!

Keep the updates coming mate, they’re good motivation

Doing some mobility this morning and after thinking about the benefits of so much C&P’ing, I gave the 2x28kg a go. First rep was not great, but I focused and got really tight and managed on the 2nd attempt. Oddly, the press felt easier than the clean.

I looked over my notes, in July 2022, I was doing phase 1, and pushing hard to get through 9x2@18 reps. 10 months later, I’m pushing hard but averaging 45-50 reps a session. Sometimes it pays to stop and look back!

Patience is definitely a virtue haha

Last edited:
Well done mate!

I do find high rep C&P 3 x a week can be tough. I’ve never done so much pressing volume. I’m a few workouts behind you on phase 2.

I had to pause to sort out some shoulder mobility issues, and sometimes I find I need 3 rest days, but it feels good to get through it.

I can do 2 mins rest for sets of 4 comfortably and I think I can do it for sets of 5 and 6, or at least close enough that by the end of phase 2 I’ll be able to.

Phase 3 seems daunting, 60 reps 3x a week with reducing rest times, hmmm!

Keep the updates coming mate, they’re good motivation
To be fair I find the 10x5 and 10x4 with 2 mins rest relatively easy (signs the program is working!) my condition is poor atm and I know that’s a bit issue. I just did 3 reps with the 2x28 (could have MAYBE got 4) and I am tempted to run through strong again with the 2x28 (I really need to start upping the weight). I also want to gain some more muscle and you get that by lifting heavy weights!

I did max sets of 5 with 2mins rest this morning. I got through it, but damn I had to push myself. First half wasn’t too bad but the last few sets were hard!. My lungs felt recovered with around 30s of rest left, but by the 3rd rep, particularly the last few sets, I had to push. Last few reps of the last set, locking the bells out was an effort!

Later in the week I’ve got sets of 6, and then I’m on holiday. Using that as motivation to do them timed. It’s not max sets, so I’ll give it a go.

Hello everyone
Just asking because I am gonna purchase Kettlebell Strong soon and from my understanding it is a 24 week program (6 Months). If I start the program but have to leave town for a couple of days and can’t workout what do you guy suggest? Starting the previous week over? Or just wait until I have 6 months of uninterrupted time at home?

Hello everyone
Just asking because I am gonna purchase Kettlebell Strong soon and from my understanding it is a 24 week program (6 Months). If I start the program but have to leave town for a couple of days and can’t workout what do you guy suggest? Starting the previous week over? Or just wait until I have 6 months of uninterrupted time at home?
Work around it, it’s fine. A couple of days is fine. I’ve had to drop to twice a week at times due to life in general, and I’ve still made lots of progress.

Hello everyone
I would just repeat previous week.
I had to take off about a week when I got the flu or some other virus. Came back, repeated the week I was on when I got sick and continued. All in all I spent 7 months doing it because after phase 2 slow and steady, I repeated phase two short course.
I didn’t do phase three.
It’s a great program.
I’m currently doing STRONG again but with clean and jerk this time.

I completed all 3 Phases of Strong! (Phase 2 Slow and Steady). I traveled a few times while completing the program. Each time I traveled, I used the hotel gym. It was mostly dumbbells and one time there was a pair of 20k bells. Double dumbells cleans and presses translate well to the Strong! format and kept me on course. I used 2x24k bells for Strong!, so I increased the reps for the hotel gym that had the 20k bells. Other times I traveled, I only missed a day and was able to get back on track by the weekend.

I am like you. Whenever I start a new program, I OVER analyze whether or not I have the time to complete the program uninterrupted by unpredictable life events. This is negative energy that, in the past, has caused me not to start a program because I "didn't have time."

The advice the others have given you about repeating the week you were on when you were interrupted is very good. That is the strategy I intend to use if life, inevitably, gets in the way of my training.

Completed the 6-week Strong! Foundation program.

At the start, I was very much a noob to the double clean, double press, and double front squat. The shoulder that was injured last year had recovered enough to allow partial range double press - I could press up to the point where the KBs start moving out of my range of vision towards the overhead position before I started to feel irritation in the shoulder.

At the end, the double press ROM was set by my upper body mobility rather than shoulder pain. I felt greater confidence in my technique in these 3 exercises.

I've settled on Manly Mobility as my cooldown of choice - although I only do one set, rather than 4, of dead bugs, as the "power" part of P3. The diaphragm breathing works with, rather than against, the elevated breathing, heart rate, etc. compared other mobility methods.

I feel ready to start Easy Muscle next week. I'm confident my pressing mobility will continue to improve and I'll eventually hit lockout sometime during these upcoming 8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom