all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Hey everyone,

I've started the Kettlebell STRONG! program this week using 2x 24kg kettlebells. I've made a slight change to the program by doing only two sessions per week instead of three. Additionally, after the presses, I'm performing front squats (FSQs). I felt the need to make these adjustments because my squat is relatively weak, and I didn't want to do a dedicated squat program while also not giving up on Clean & Press. So, I hope this compromise allows me to progress in both areas without distorting the program too much.

As a result of these changes, the program will now take 44 weeks to complete instead of the original 29 weeks if I go through all three phases. This could be the most significant challenge.

The 2x 24kg weight feels relatively good. The presses are going great, but the squats are still somewhat challenging. I hope to improve my form after a few workouts. Today, I finished workout 2, and it went well with 5x2. However, when I do 3-4 FSQs, I tend to lose the kettlebells forward. I hope this will improve over time.

I'd be happy to keep you all updated on how this modified version of the Kettlebell STRONG! program works for me over the weeks and whether I would recommend it or make any further changes.

Stay strong and happy lifting!
Great stuff mate! You’ll find some weeks you’ll be able to 3x a week, but don’t worry, it still works fine at 2x a week.

I also added squats to the program. But I do 1 reps as clean & press & squat. So far so good. I'm now at 7x3 reps. Curious what will happen when I get to phase 2, where the rest will be shorter.
Besides the squats, I also alternate sessions, ABA BAB style. Session A is Strong! and B is KSK.
Not sure if this wil be beneficial, but I like the variation. And if I can keep it up, I think this will be better than start program hopping (which I did a lot of...).

Great stuff mate! You’ll find some weeks you’ll be able to 3x a week, but don’t worry, it still works fine at 2x a week.
Yeah i think i would make some slight changes here. The Volumen seems very low in Phase 1. So i maybe should switch to 3x a week or stay at 2x but go for single KB Presses with 32kg on another day. At least for maintanance.

Yeah i think i would make some slight changes here. The Volumen seems very low in Phase 1. So i maybe should switch to 3x a week or stay at 2x but go for single KB Presses with 32kg on another day. At least for maintanance.
Honestly, your body will tell you. I just stick doubles but go down to 2 a week if life gets in the way. And you will adapt to higher reps, slowly but surely you’ll get there. Just keep chipping away.

I’m now finding that I have enough energy after high rep timed days to use my 2x24 for offset carries. Rack + farmers and also now rack + waiters walks. Not a lot, but up until weeks ago I didn’t have the energy to do anything after my Strong session.

10x5 @ 1:55s this morning. I’m now 10 sessions away from finishing phase 2. Higher reps were a bit of a slog at first, but as always, just keep going and you adapt and it becomes easier.

Last edited:
Getting close, 8x6@2:30 this morning, then did some carries. I have not been timing sets of 6, but because the last few sessions I’ve been timing the lower rep sets with good success, I thought I’d do a generous rest time for sets of 6. I’m used to sub 2 min rest times so 2:30 felt like heaps.

Now, it’s only the last few reps of the last few sets where I really need to focus and push through, I’m gassed but can do them.

Surprised at how I’m now able to do more work ( carries) after the main Strong workout. When I first started phase 2, I was convinced I’d never be able to do sets of 6, and there was no way early on I could do anything else after the main Strong sets. Work capacity definitely increased!!

5x3 with the 2x28kg was rough… roughly 3 mins rest between each. Still on phase one and hopefully my strength picks up! I still keep trying to convince myself to add to the program but I need to learn to shut off the voices in my head
You're doing great! Trust the program and you will be rewarded.

2021 I did Strong with 24kg. 2022 I did it with 28kg. This year I was working on 32kg and was most of the way through phase 1, then I slept on my shoulder wrong about a month ago and it is still bothering me - too painful and structurally weak to press above my head. Very frustrating! I worry I am going to lose all my gains by time it heals.

2021 I did Strong with 24kg. 2022 I did it with 28kg. This year I was working on 32kg and was most of the way through phase 1, then I slept on my shoulder wrong about a month ago and it is still bothering me - too painful and structurally weak to press above my head. Very frustrating! I worry I am going to lose all my gains by time it heals.
I'm sorry. I hope you heal soon.

Friend, I’m a nobody who knows nothing. I think that possibly your aggravated shoulder issue did not come from sleeping wrong but came about buy some other means. As far as your gains go I think in one of Geoff’s news letters and from other sources that squatting can help preserve overhead gains. I understand your concern and I would have the same. So, let your shoulder heal using proper means. Wish you success.

I slept on my shoulder wrong about a month ago and it is still bothering me

How have your found your results from following strong? Much hypertrophy on top of the strength? Any other benefits?

Bit of a crap week for me, it’ll be a week rest by the time I get back to it tomorrow morning. Almost there.

I was going to have a month of doing something different before phase 3, but I’m just going to go straight into phase 3.

I intend on doing 2x28, ideally start on New Year’s Day ( I’m the afternoon though haha ).

How have your found your results from following strong? Much hypertrophy on top of the strength? Any other benefits?

Mostly just strength and fitness. Some hypertrophy in my shoulders, traps and arms. Note I didn't really lose anything on my chest or back, at least nothing noticeable.

Since I can't press overhead atm. I've been doing barbell work again and am feeling more muscular in my chest and lats. So yeah, Strong works your entire shoulder girdle really well but some things can still be beneficial from doing barbell work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom