all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG! Plus other exercises?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Andi-in-BKK

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey guys, I’ve been lurking for a while so this is my first post.

For the past month or two, I’ve been hitting kettlebells for about an hour a day, six days a week. I’ve split it into two alternating workouts, Snatches and squats on one day and Clean and Press, Swings, and TGU on the other day. Previously doing it with an 18kg bell, and at the end switching to a 24kg bell. I’ve been doing it as a volume cycle with 5rep sets and just building the number of sets. Backed down and restarted with the 24. I’ve recently gotten a second 24kg and will be getting either 2x 28kg or 2x 32kg in another month or two.

I like the program described in this article on building the Clean and Press as my goal is to move to double 32kg bells for grinds. And maybe to a Total Tension plan with cleans, presses, squats, and rows in pyramid once I can confidently OHP 2x32kg kettlebells.

My question is this: I don’t want to give up on doing swings, squats, TGU, etc while I develop my clean and press. I haven’t had any trouble with injury or recovery previously (I eat very well and get 8 hours of sleep a night). I’m planning on attempting this with 2x24kg bells. Would it destroy progress if I added double front squats on C&P days and did another day or two a week with swings and TGU?

Thanks guys!

I reread my post and forgot to include, I’m healthy, active 34 year old father and husband. I’ve been training BJJ consistently for 6 years.

That said, over the past few months, while working out, I’ve been adding additional calories while keeping my macros in check (150gr protein daily and the rest split between carbs and animal fats). I’ve gone up in weight a bit as a result from 76kg to 86kg though my body fat has only gone up from about 15% to around 20% based on a tape test and online calculator (used the same one both times). I also began supplementing with creatine monohydrate during that time so some of the weight could be water weight as well.

Hi Andi
Looks like youre doing a good job ! What a beast !

Im by no means an expert, ill just throw in my 50C.
In the past i been running alot of different Programs, and i always had a hard time keeping strictly to the program. I been adding thing what i "felt" was missing. Sometimes it has worked out, but tbh most times i just ended up overtraining or getting an injury.
My advise would be to find a program, that actually have FSQ and Swings in the protocol, so you dont "make up" your own Workout. Not that thats not possible and can be a win, :)
I can recomend these 3 as i done em all :

1 :The 4-Week Kettlebell Shred
With a small "review" - Pavel's 4 week Shred

2: The 5-Week, Single Kettlebell Workout

3: Geoeff's The Giant : - The Program im on ATM - There arent any swings, but as Geoff says, you dont need em when you do cleans

But again we are all differnt beings. im 42 got 3 kids dont get enough sleep too stresssed, so what worked for me doesnt mean it will work for you, and you can just be a beast who can add a s***load and train everyday and end up Sir Buffalot.
But for me, more isnt always better, even though i still add things ot my workouks :S

Hugs and kisses From Denmark

Morten

Hi Andi
Looks like youre doing a good job ! What a beast !

Im by no means an expert, ill just throw in my 50C.
In the past i been running alot of different Programs, and i always had a hard time keeping strictly to the program. I been adding thing what i "felt" was missing. Sometimes it has worked out, but tbh most times i just ended up overtraining or getting an injury.
My advise would be to find a program, that actually have FSQ and Swings in the protocol, so you dont "make up" your own Workout. Not that thats not possible and can be a win, :)
I can recomend these 3 as i done em all :

1 :The 4-Week Kettlebell Shred
With a small "review" - Pavel's 4 week Shred

2: The 5-Week, Single Kettlebell Workout

3: Geoeff's The Giant : - The Program im on ATM - There arent any swings, but as Geoff says, you dont need em when you do cleans

But again we are all differnt beings. im 42 got 3 kids dont get enough sleep too stresssed, so what worked for me doesnt mean it will work for you, and you can just be a beast who can add a s***load and train everyday and end up Sir Buffalot.
But for me, more isnt always better, even though i still add things ot my workouks :S

Hugs and kisses From Denmark

Morten
Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve got workout ADHD hardcore and just try to keep going into I burn myself out (or just flat out skip the workout entirely- no in between).

I think my main idea was to run S&S at a lower intensity(single 24 for swings and single 18 for TGU- I mainly just could use the practice on TGU because I’m not efficient with it yet) 1-2 days a week alongside the Clean and Press program (which is my primary area I want to improve) So if one program is good, two must be double good, lol.

I think I’ll see how I’m feeling after my first day running the program as designed and maybe add or take away a day from S&S. For reference, I did the 100 swings and 10 TGU at a very slow pace yesterday, and even did few sets of snatches because I love snatches, and I can’t tell that I worked out this morning at all.

Hey guys, I’ve been lurking for a while so this is my first post.

For the past month or two, I’ve been hitting kettlebells for about an hour a day, six days a week. I’ve split it into two alternating workouts, Snatches and squats on one day and Clean and Press, Swings, and TGU on the other day. Previously doing it with an 18kg bell, and at the end switching to a 24kg bell. I’ve been doing it as a volume cycle with 5rep sets and just building the number of sets. Backed down and restarted with the 24. I’ve recently gotten a second 24kg and will be getting either 2x 28kg or 2x 32kg in another month or two.

I like the program described in this article on building the Clean and Press as my goal is to move to double 32kg bells for grinds. And maybe to a Total Tension plan with cleans, presses, squats, and rows in pyramid once I can confidently OHP 2x32kg kettlebells.

My question is this: I don’t want to give up on doing swings, squats, TGU, etc while I develop my clean and press. I haven’t had any trouble with injury or recovery previously (I eat very well and get 8 hours of sleep a night). I’m planning on attempting this with 2x24kg bells. Would it destroy progress if I added double front squats on C&P days and did another day or two a week with swings and TGU?

Thanks guys!

Here's what you can do
Warm up with getups do 2-3 singles

Practice your squats after your c and p sessions..

Do some easy swings/snatches roughly 60-100 total on other days

Here's what you can do
Warm up with getups do 2-3 singles

Practice your squats after your c and p sessions..

Do some easy swings/snatches roughly 60-100 total on other days
That’s exactly what I wanted to hear! I didn’t think of using TGU as a warmup.

A quick question on squats on the same day; I know with traditional barbell strength training, squats are prioritized because the stimulate the growth hormone in the body (so I’ve heard). Do the cleans and light squats provide the same function in this case as well? Should the volume be high enough on squats for the same reason while running the c&p program?

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve got workout ADHD hardcore and just try to keep going into I burn myself out (or just flat out skip the workout entirely- no in between).

I think my main idea was to run S&S at a lower intensity(single 24 for swings and single 18 for TGU- I mainly just could use the practice on TGU because I’m not efficient with it yet) 1-2 days a week alongside the Clean and Press program (which is my primary area I want to improve) So if one program is good, two must be double good, lol.

I think I’ll see how I’m feeling after my first day running the program as designed and maybe add or take away a day from S&S. For reference, I did the 100 swings and 10 TGU at a very slow pace yesterday, and even did few sets of snatches because I love snatches, and I can’t tell that I worked out this morning at all.
How about rotating S&S and SA?

A quick question on squats on the same day; I know with traditional barbell strength training, squats are prioritized because the stimulate the growth hormone in the body (so I’ve heard). Do the cleans and light squats provide the same function in this case as well? Should the volume be high enough on squats for the same reason while running the c&p program?
I wouldnt Stress too much on the Squats TBH -(unless youre hunting for Huuuuge Quads) you get plenty of lower body Stimuly, Doing cleans and Getups. :)

For assistance work it's best to stay on the conservative side.

The easy strength approach is a wise choice.

Got it. I’ll be heavy on the cleans and presses with a few squats as finishers and TGU just for practice as a daily warmup with the lighter 18kg bell. Then on alternate days hit easy swings or snatches if I feel like I’m recovering well enough.

You could also follow Geoff Neupert Total Body Blast.
Its clean&press. Chins and squat.
And then use TGU as warmup.
I may run this one at some point in the future but currently the country is in complete lockdown and gyms are closed so I don’t have access to a pull-up bar. I’m planning on setting up a power rack with bar and plates to be able to get pull-ups on as well, especially if this lockdown drags on much longer.

You could also follow Geoff Neupert Total Body Blast.
Its clean&press. Chins and squat.
And then use TGU as warmup.

FWIW this is what I am doing right now and really like it. I alternate C&P, Chin, FSQ on the minute. For instance on the 10x1 day I set my timer for 30 min. At min 1 I do a C&P, min 2 Chin, min 3 FSQ then rinse and repeat. Basically take the rep scheme for the day and multiply by 3. Earlier in the day I also work up to an 80% effort barbell DL, usually ends up being 5-6 singles to get there. This is serving me very well for strength. On other days I do a variety of LSS, mostly heavy rucking with sprinting dabbled in.

Some of the phases of Strong, especially the first, might work with a Thruster - clean, front squat, press - if you have strong recovery. OTOH could be truly punishing.

I may run this one at some point in the future but currently the country is in complete lockdown and gyms are closed so I don’t have access to a pull-up bar. I’m planning on setting up a power rack with bar and plates to be able to get pull-ups on as well, especially if this lockdown drags on much longer.
You can substitute with a row in the meantime...

You can substitute with a row in the meantime...
That makes sense, I was doing rows as accessory work last month after Swings and TGUs.

For volume purposes, how many rows would substitute for a given number of pull-ups? Just make the weight/reps equivalent 24kg x2 is about half body weight for me, so 2 rows is 1 pull-up or does the angle change it up?

That makes sense, I was doing rows as accessory work last month after Swings and TGUs.

For volume purposes, how many rows would substitute for a given number of pull-ups? Just make the weight/reps equivalent 24kg x2 is about half body weight for me, so 2 rows is 1 pull-up or does the angle change it up?
I hadn’t thought about doing them as thrusters. I was originally thinking of just matching the reps on the Press with front squats before I put the weight down. Squats never feel particularly taxing by themselves to me (unless I do a lot of them) so I didn’t think it would make or break my recovery.

Hi Andi,
Just from my perspective PLS be aware that jump from 1*18kg or 1*24kg to 2*32 is completely different thing.
Take the time as your body has to adapt.
Also the recovery is going to be completely different than with lighter bell. Especially with intensive programs like giant there is a chance you will not be able to add extra exercises.

Hi Andi,
Just from my perspective PLS be aware that jump from 1*18kg or 1*24kg to 2*32 is completely different thing.
Take the time as your body has to adapt.
Also the recovery is going to be completely different than with lighter bell. Especially with intensive programs like giant there is a chance you will not be able to add extra exercises.
I’m completely cool with the idea of a program being so hard that I can’t give anything else. I will have to just take my time with everything and see how I’m recovering continuously.

I did notice that I had a bit more fatigue doing a longer 18+24 Clean and Press and squats (I think 50 Press, 50 squats, with a Clean before each rep of each) so I may have a few weeks getting used to double 24s as well.

I'd use a heavier bell then follow the plan as written..

Last year using a bell which was my 8-10 technical rep max for rows, when I returned to test my pullups I managed to knock off 12 pullups if memory serves me correctly when I didn't do a single rep for almost 3-4 months due to lockdown

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom