all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Swing Form Check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Shavleg

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello, I recently came across the video which showed that swing should be performed without twisting, as it was very dangerous for the back
I know basic guidelines to perform the swing but I was wondering if I was doing something wrong unconsciously and was not performing correctly.

Here is the video so please review and give me advice whether it is correct or not

First time poster so I did not know where to post, if it is not the place for it, I apologize.

Looks great, from an anti-twisting standpoint. Nice job. Your abs and all those torso stabilizers are working well!

Most everything else looks good too. Stance, free hand, gaze, hinge position, great standing plank, explosive upswing.

3 ideas if you're looking to make it even better: 1) work on the power breathing -- forceful exhale on upswing! 2) a little more knee bend, perhaps -- use the legs! and 3) find the elastic loading in the hinge - hamstrings and arm. That last one may need a bit more explanation... or just more time/practice.

Overall, great swing, keep it up :)

Looks great, from an anti-twisting standpoint. Nice job. Your abs and all those torso stabilizers are working well!

Most everything else looks good too. Stance, free hand, gaze, hinge position, great standing plank, explosive upswing.

3 ideas if you're looking to make it even better: 1) work on the power breathing -- forceful exhale on upswing! 2) a little more knee bend, perhaps -- use the legs! and 3) find the elastic loading in the hinge - hamstrings and arm. That last one may need a bit more explanation... or just more time/practice.

Overall, great swing, keep it up :)

Aha that's so nice to hear. thank you very much.

I have been having cramping and tightness in upper abdomen, lower back and lats for a while now and cant seem to figure out why. now that twisting is out of question.

Do you have any idea what can be causing it??

My workout consists of - S&S Warmup(24kg Goblet or 16KG prying goblet, hip bridge, 16kg Halos) Swing (24KG, 10X10, 90 Sec Interval/Set, Gradually Decreasing Set interval by 30 Sec every month) Get-Up (24KG, 4 Full Get-Ups + 6 Getups without Getdowns, Gradually increasing Full getups by 2 reps every Week, 2m interval/Set)

I have incorporated Bicycle crunches at the end of the workout for abdominal work.

Could it be caused by too much workout, lack of stretching or poor technique or something else.. ?

Thanks in advance.

I have been having cramping and tightness in upper abdomen, lower back and lats for a while now and cant seem to figure out why. now that twisting is out of question.

Not really, unless perhaps overwork, as you suggested. Perhaps take a few light days in a row and see if it eases up.

Lying on your stomach and propped up on elbows is a great way to let the abs relax some tension.

My workout consists of - S&S Warmup(24kg Goblet or 16KG prying goblet, hip bridge, 16kg Halos) Swing (24KG, 10X10, 90 Sec Interval/Set, Gradually Decreasing Set interval by 30 Sec every month) Get-Up (24KG, 4 Full Get-Ups + 6 Getups without Getdowns, Gradually increasing Full getups by 2 reps every Week, 2m interval/Set)

I have incorporated Bicycle crunches at the end of the workout for abdominal work.

Could it be caused by too much workout, lack of stretching or poor technique or something else.. ?

Thanks in advance.
You're doing allot of anti-rotation/rotation work especially with bicycle crunches added in. Your abdominals probably don't need more work especially after heavy swings and get ups.

Definitely work on some joint circling, hang on a pull up bar and do some stretching before bed. You might benefit from buying Simple and Sinister 2.0 . That will spell it all out for you.

I have been having cramping and tightness in upper abdomen, lower back and lats for a while now and cant seem to figure out why.
What Causes Muscle Cramps

THEORY #3: ELECTROLYTE IMBALANCES

Low sodium is probably the biggest driver of muscle cramping during exercise.
If sodium lost through sweat isn’t replaced—and if the athlete over-hydrates with plain water—cramps are likely to occur.

Hyponatramia

...Drinking too much water — cause the sodium in your body to become diluted.

Take Home Message

Drinking water that lacks sodium and minerals can produce Muscle Craps; it flushed sodium and minerals out of the body.

To ensure optimal workout and eliminate Muscle Craps, a sodium mineral drink need to be consumed prior to training and during training.

Sodium Workouts

This provides information consuming a high sodium drink, like Chicken Bouillion can elict a more effective workout; which also can eliminate craps.

Last edited:
What Causes Muscle Cramps

THEORY #3: ELECTROLYTE IMBALANCES

Low sodium is probably the biggest driver of muscle cramping during exercise.
If sodium lost through sweat isn’t replaced—and if the athlete over-hydrates with plain water—cramps are likely to occur.

Hyponatramia

...Drinking too much water — cause the sodium in your body to become diluted.

Take Home Message

Drinking water that lacks sodium and minerals can produce Muscle Craps; it flushed sodium and minerals out of the body.

To ensure optimal workout and eliminate Muscle Craps, a sodium mineral drink need to be consumed prior to training and during training.

Sodium Workouts

This provides information consuming a high sodium drink, like Chicken Bouillion can elict a more effective workout; which also can eliminate craps.
Glad you brought this up again. I put Himalayan salt in my water before my kb session yesterday after reading your previous post under the nutrition section. I often train fasted and we are finally getting some heat here up north. I found it to be pretty beneficial. I know this is not nearly as much salt as a bullion cube, but i liked it. Thought of trying the creatine pre work out too but i can often get an upset stomach taking vitamins. I’m going to be utilizing/experimenting with it going forward, especially since most of my sessions are fasted.

Thought of trying the creatine pre work out too but i can often get an upset stomach

Creatine Post Workout

Research indicates that it is more effective to take creatine after a workout.

The effects of pre versus post workout supplementation of creatine monohydrate on body composition and strength

...It appears that consuming creatine immediately post-workout is superior to pre-workout vis a vis body composition and strength.

Creatine for Exercise and Sports Performance, with Recovery Considerations for Healthy Populations

...Creatine supplementation shows promise in facilitating recovery following exercise-induced muscle damage

Creatine Post Workout

Research indicates that it is more effective to take creatine after a workout.

The effects of pre versus post workout supplementation of creatine monohydrate on body composition and strength

...It appears that consuming creatine immediately post-workout is superior to pre-workout vis a vis body composition and strength.

Creatine for Exercise and Sports Performance, with Recovery Considerations for Healthy Populations

...Creatine supplementation shows promise in facilitating recovery following exercise-induced muscle damage
That has been my thought and approach, but you comparing it to the sodium pre workout made me consider it.

salt in my water before my kb session yesterday
i remember the first time i overtly dosed sodium - was the first day I ever biked all the way up the long slow hill at the end of the trail we took around bonelli park. i still think about that sometimes.

I like salting my water first thing in the morning. Could be all in my head, but it seems I hydrate better and pee it out less.

Thanks in advance.
How much tension do you use per rep? Per set?

Try using just enough to get the job done and see if the cramping has gone down

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom