all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Kettlebell Swing Frog Squats

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Re: the KB Swing frog squat—I've tried them and will not use them or recommend them.

It's not a swing and it's a poor squat IMO.

I could not care less about getting a burn.

JMO
YMMV

Two cents:
If someone does these and enjoys them, great. I also think if you have kettlebells and want to work your hinge and squat, there are equally if not more effective exercises that are likely safer and easier to coordinate. A properly performed split squat with a kettlebell can be plenty of work for the quads and glutes.

Safer?

What information do you have on the movement unsafe; which is the inplication.
I’ll freely admit I don’t have info. What I do have are these thoughts:

This seems like a movement pattern that (as others have noted) is awkward and is likely to be a coordination challenge for beginners. Many beginners already have a difficult time ingraining a good squat pattern and/or hinge pattern (or differentiating between the two),and this might make it harder, as it combines a hinge and a squat. It’s also, imo, a pretty unnatural movement, meaning that you will rarely move this way outside of the exercise itself.

I will say that I think there aren’t really any “bad” movements, just incorrectly loaded ones. There are biomechanical nuances to some movements that increase or decrease their efficacy depending on goals however.

So my reasoning is that it is a complex movement, and that simpler movements could likely accomplish the same goals. The reason I used the word “safe” is precisely because of that. As the complexity of a movement increases, the more challenging increasing loads become. If someone loads it too much too soon, they might become injured.

So I’m not here to say that this exercise is “bad.” I’m sure it can serve the purposes you outlined. I’m just not sure why one would choose it over simpler, more easily accessible exercises.

This seems like a movement pattern that (as others have noted) is awkward and is likely to be a coordination challenge for beginners. Many beginners already have a difficult time ingraining a good squat pattern and/or hinge pattern (or differentiating between the two),and this might make it harder, as it combines a hinge and a squat. It’s also, imo, a pretty unnatural movement, meaning that you will rarely move this way outside of the exercise itself.

I'm not even remotely a beginner and it still felt super goofy to me.

I also didn't get some outrageous pump that made the goofy move worth it.

In comparison, I can put on BFR cuffs on my legs and do a much more functional movement (e.g. split squats) and get a ridiculous pump <5 min with very light loads.

Kettlebell Swing Frog Squats Verdict:

I have better options

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety , but my rule no 1 (besides we don't talk about fight club) is don't get hurt.

I think I'd rather just do regular old swings, front squats (goblet, lightly weighted cossack, double racked bell), and single/double loaded farmer and racked carries.

Thanks a lot this one is even a better one though it seems I can benefit from both of those videos for stretching different areas. Thanks a lot both are valuable, I will try them. Best, Ege

Sometimes (like today, while doing high bar BSQ) I actually do these between sets.

I can usually squat a bit deeper and feel my glutes activating a bit more afterwards.

Reactions: Ege
Sometimes (like today, while doing high bar BSQ) I actually do these between sets.

I can usually squat a bit deeper and feel my glutes activating a bit more afterwards.
Now this one makes a lot more sense simply as a mobility exercise. But I would be curious if there is any difference in mobility between this vs prying goblet squats with a heavy emphasis on the prying. For a heavy barbell squatter it makes sense, but if one is a minimalist kettlebell only guy then I could see where he gets a "two breath mints in one" special with just doing goblets and working on his mobilty at the bottom of the squat..

This might require a case study. If only we knew a few guys who do barbell squats that knew this movement and could scientifically replace their Russian baby Makers with light Prying Goblet Squats between barbell sets...

Now this one makes a lot more sense simply as a mobility exercise. But I would be curious if there is any difference in mobility between this vs prying goblet squats with a heavy emphasis on the prying.

In my experience, yes, there is a difference.

Because in the Russian Baby Maker, I'm resting the weight of my entire upper on my elbows as I push them into my groin and pry, which is a lot more force than I can apply in the goblet squat.

Whether that is more hip opening than necessary for gen pop is another issue.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom