all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Swing Power Test

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Robert McLaughlin

First Post
Certified Instructor
Hi everyone I’m looking for some help re: Kettlebell Swing Power/Fitness Test.

I am a secondary school / high school Physical Education teacher. I have a student who is using Kettlebell Swings in their Advanced Higher Training Programme. Their focus is to improve their overall power with intention to improve their jump shot in handball.

In terms of pre- and post- programme testing, could anyone suggest a Fitness Test for testing power on the kettlebell swing? I don’t have an accelerometer, are there any other tests?
Thanks, Robert
(SFG Trainee)

I am a secondary school / high school Physical Education teacher. I have a student who is using Kettlebell Swings in their Advanced Higher Training Programme. Their focus is to improve their overall power with intention to improve their jump shot in handball.

In terms of pre- and post- programme testing, could anyone suggest a Fitness Test for testing power on the kettlebell swing? I don’t have an accelerometer, are there any other tests?
Accelerometer Devices

These are cool devices.

About 10 years ago, I purchased the "Power Factor". It was a simpler device that limited the movements that could be measured. It was also cheaper.

it was comparative to a inexpensive set of weight scales to medical scales. It provided a fairly close, accurate measurement of Power Output.

What I Learned

I learned that the traditional recommended training percentages for developing and increasing Power Output were close to what the Power Factor measured.

Based on the information, let take a look at the recommended Power Training Percentages for the following.

Kettlebell Swings

a) The Science of The Swing

As per this article, Kettlebell Swings with around 30% of Bodyweight are effective in developing Power Output.

Thus, if your high school student weights 150 lbs, he would need to perform Kettlebell Swing with around 50 lbs.

b) Are Heavy Kettlebell Swings Better Than Deadlifts? | T Nation

Research by Dr Bret Contreras determined heavy Kettlebell Swing elicited the greatest Power Output and development of Power.

StyleLoad (lbs)Peak Vertical Force (N)Peak Horizontal Force (N)
Squat Style702,170-2,349166-182
Squat Style1402,431-2,444278-353
Hip Hinge Style701,935-2,140340-402
Hip Hinge Style1402,325-2,550499-520

Based on the information above, fairly heavy Kettlebells Swing are the most effective at increasing Power.

Horizontal Jumps

Due to the horizonal movement, Kettlebells Swing are more effective at increasing Horizontal "Broad Jumps".

Vertical Jump Training

Individuals interested in developing greater Vertical Jump Power need to focus more on...

1) Olympic Pulls

Research shows that loads of 70 - 80% of a 1 Repetition Max Olympic Pull is the most effective at developing Power.

2) Trap Bar Jumps or Jumps with Dumbbells

Research demonstrates this mimics Olympic Pulls and essentially develops the same increase in Power.

Practical Power Testing

The most practical method of determining the effectiveness of Kettlebell Swing and/or Olympic Pull Power is to the...

1) Standing Broad Jump for Distance

2) Vertical Jump for Height

Thanks, Robert
(SFG Trainee)

When Pavel needed to prescribe a power measurement tool for swings, he suggested two options in his The Quick and the Dead book:
1. Accelerometer.... Duh!
2. Counting how many crisp and powerful swings can be done in 30 seconds.

I actually prefer the second option as it instinctively encourages the performer to overspeed down swings to get more reps. That by itself will accelerate power output gains.

Your student's swing form needs to be top-notch for their safety. Please do not take this lightly. I wouldn't even try it unless I know exactly how to spot a good swing form or at least my student had their own competent instructor.

Of course, all this assumes hardstyle swings are used. I don't see other "efficient" swing styles anywhere as useful to advance handball jump shots.

Thanks, Robert
(SFG Trainee)
Power is just work X time. There are many "power" tests in kettlebell world today. (S&S timed standard, snatch test ) Create a timed test format. Like how many swings can person perform in 3 minutes might be a good test because one could achieve a little over 100 swings if done continuously. Good Luck!

Thanks, Robert
(SFG Trainee)

I have the Push system to measure velocity / power.

Have you considered a velocity-based training system to measure?

I have the Push system to measure velocity / power.

Have you considered a velocity-based training system to measure?

I've been looking into the Push band but I can only justify its cost if my boy could benefit from it as well... he's a competitive cross-country highschooler. Maybe you can answer some of these questions, for my benefit and the OP's?

1. Is it consistent (not necessarily accurate) in tracking long-term progress?
2. Is it useful for runners?
3. Will the band allow syncing and profiling multiple users on same or different phones?
4. Is there an online user community for this product?

I've been looking into the Push band but I can only justify its cost if my boy could benefit from it as well... he's a competitive cross-country highschooler. Maybe you can answer some of these questions, for my benefit and the OP's?

1. Is it consistent (not necessarily accurate) in tracking long-term progress?
2. Is it useful for runners?
3. Will the band allow syncing and profiling multiple users on same or different phones?
4. Is there an online user community for this product?

1. Yes, but it's more consistent on barbells than on kettlebells due to strap placement
2. I have no idea
3. You can buy subscription plans for as many users as you need. The base plan includes a few users.
4. I don't know -- the few questions I had were answered by their tech support.

Last edited:
1. Yes, but it's more consistent on barbells than on kettlebells due to strap placement
2. I have no idea
3. You can buy subscription plans for as many users as you need. The base plan includes a few users.
4. I don't know -- the few questions I had were answered by their tech support.

Thanks for the quick answers. I'll keep researching this product.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom