all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell swing question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

prize

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi, I'm new to kettlebell swings and wanted to know more about what it does for the upper part of the body. I've read some places saying the swing works the entire body, while some say it minimally works the back, chest, shoulders, biceps, and forearms, while other sources say it doesn't do much for the upper and is geared more towards the lower body, legs and glutes. Can you share your opinion if the swing does work the upper body, if so which muscles specifically? Thank you and be well!

@prize

The hardstyle swing is a movement that emphasizes a powerful hip hinge coupled with a powerful breath which over time can develop a good to excellent base of total body athleticism. As a tool, kettlebells can definitely be used for hypertrophy of the upper body. Your best bets are using double kettlebells with the following movements - Clean & Press, Front Squat, Push Press, Farmer Walk, Rack Carry.

The upper body? Like the brain? It sits there and says “lift me or don’t” and it will temper your soul if you force yourself to pick it up every day esp when you don’t want to.

Welcome, Prize. I know this is not a direct answer to your question but since it's your first post I'm guessing this may help:

I'd say the swing is a great and generally safe all round athlete builder.

I think there are very few instances where upper body strength acts in isolation.
As an example, my primary sport is kayak paddling (surfski to be specific). If you watch an Olympic kayak sprint race it would seem to the untrained eye that it's all upper body strength and fitness. However there is actually a powerful rotational movement going on, driven from the hips and legs.
I'm not into boxing or mma but I would think that if a boxer or karateka wants to strike hard and powerfully it would need to be driven by the hips and legs as well. Pretty sure throwing a javelin is there same. You get the point.

Swings certainly engage the whole posterior chain right up to your shoulders and your lats as well. Forearms get plenty of work gripping the bell while swinging. What's left is quads (goblet squats) and the rest is why we have TGUs which are great for shoulders and whole body strength and coordination.

When I started using kettlebells I didn't initially go with S&S, which is primarily a swing program, for fomo on some specific upper body areas, like chest and biceps.
Now that I'm well into it, I'd say it's probably the best program for overall GPP I've ever done.

If you're wanting to specifically target chest and biceps you could probably add some pushups and chinups once you've made some reasonable progress on the basics.

Or, if fomo won't let you do S&S, do this:

The NSCA categories the swing as a lower body exercise, but then the way the teach it isn't hardstyle.

The hardstyle swing is going to engage pretty much everything expect your 'push', which makes sense when you think of all the 'classic' KB programmes (they are all swing/snatch with either press/TGU/bent press).

For the upper body the hardstyle swing, done with a heavy enough (for the individual) load will give you upper low/upper back, upper/lower arm and some chest development. Basically the musculature which is stopping the 'bell from being 'released and launched'.

Hi, I'm new to kettlebell swings and wanted to know more about what it does for the upper part of the body. I've read some places saying the swing works the entire body, while some say it minimally works the back, chest, shoulders, biceps, and forearms, while other sources say it doesn't do much for the upper and is geared more towards the lower body, legs and glutes. Can you share your opinion if the swing does work the upper body, if so which muscles specifically? Thank you and be well!

The swing alone neglects the upper body pressing muscles.

Unless you're very detrained, it's not going to beef up your chest and triceps to any meaningful extent.

If you combine the swings with an upper body push (KB press or push up), it's more complete.

When I'm pressed for time, I can get a 'hits everything quick' workout with:

--KB swings (hinge / pull)
--KB squat cleans & press (pull, squat, push)

If I have more time (and can't get to my barbells), I can add in horizontal push (push up) and horizontal pull (KB rows).

Especially once you start getting heavier, and especially with 1 hand swings, the rhomboid, lower trap, sub scap and even lat work is great, the anterior abs are a nice surprise and the forearm / grip can't be beat. When I'm owning simple, i feel my grip can crush. Pullup are effortless.

I am new to the swings, and I have been six years without exercise, so I feel clearly where muscles hurt.

I started 10 days ago with two hand swings, and I feel that it worked most on my glutes, trapezius and romboid. I noticed it some in the hamstrings, abs and lats. I made a couple of sessions with one hand sets, and I did feel a lot in the biceps, and some in the obliques.

Please note that I am really out of shape, and my technique might not be good. I was really surprised about the biceps, since I think that I do have a straight arm.

@Advenedizo
@watchnerd said it pretty well.. First couple weeks you could practise goblet squats and clean & press before/after your swings..
And when you think your form is better, please post video so we can check your form. After that you could start your journey to become man amongst men.
S&s is great program for many people, but if you want beef to your frame with single kettlebell, there is no better program than Rite of passage from enter the kettlebell.

[/QUO
After starting a program based around swings and getups I was surprised by the development I got in my upper back muscles.

The swing alone neglects the upper body pressing muscles.

What about TGU for hitting the pressing muscles? It’s not a press and not as efficient, but should it balance out enough to keep your chest and triceps evolving at a similar pace? I’ve always wondered this when doing S&S. To a novice trainee like myself it feels like TGU hits the pushing muscles and the anterior chain in similar manner as swings do for the back and the posterior chain.

What about TGU for hitting the pressing muscles? It’s not a press and not as efficient, but should it balance out enough to keep your chest and triceps evolving at a similar pace? I’ve always wondered this when doing S&S. To a novice trainee like myself it feels like TGU hits the pushing muscles and the anterior chain in similar manner as swings do for the back and the posterior chain.

For a novice presser, the TGU will have a carryover to your press.

For an experienced presser, the TGU might help maintain you for a short time, but you'll lose pressing strength.

Presses are weird (and wonderful).

The combination of Swing and TGU is a good one as they hit everything. You have a 'low tech and safe' ballistic which can be tailored via programming for power and conditioning, and a very high time-under-tension (TUT) grind that emphasises quality movement and stability.

If you want to get specific (press, squat, etc) then you need specific training.

Though it is interesting that most minimalist KB programs:

Practice the squat.
Train the swing (or snatch).
Train the TGU (or push up, or single KB press).

A lot to be mined from these combinations.

A detrained or novice trainee can get results from almost any upper body compound movement.

Yes, as a novice, you'll get anterior chain results from the TGU.

But you would get results from push ups and overhead presses, too.

The push up and press are classics for training the whole body -- the TGU definitely brings different elements to the table, but I'm not sure it's "better" than push ups or presses, so much as it's just "different".

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom