all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Kettlebell techniques that carry over to parenthood

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

thegoldengod

Level 5 Valued Member
As a recent Dad, I noticed that a few kettlebell techniques have carried over to every day life sans the GPP effects of S&S.

1. Single kettlebell clean is very similar to holding a child in 1 arm
  2. Single kettlebell rack + walk is very similar to walking with a child in 1 arm
  3. Single kettlebell squat is similar to picking something up off the floor with a child in your arm (watch the form though! Easy to tweak your back)
  4. Sitting in the bottom of a goblet squat makes it easy to play with the kids while they are on the floor
  5. Farmer carries just about apply to anything involving carrying things. You do a lot of this as a parent!

Any parents out there that have benefitted from this great tool and SF community?

TGU helps
  1. carrying kids while they're whining and flailing their limp bodies after not getting fruity pebbles
  2. Resisting one kid pulling on you while you're doing something else important like signing documents at the bank
  3. Carrying wood to the fireplace to keep said whining child warm through winter
  4. Getting up off the ground after collapsing from said child sprinting full speed head first into crotch
  5. Pressing child off after being headbutted while calmly watching favorite movie
  6. Holding childs favorite toys above head in a spiteful game of keep away in retaliation for the headbutts and crotch collisions
Not to mention, they make you strong!

Single kettlebell squat is similar to picking something up off the floor with a child in your arm (watch the form though! Easy to tweak your back)
I have noticed the same and greatly appreciate this skill. Children really make you move, so improving moving capacity in any way is very useful.

Squats help me squat. Who would have thought? In addition, they help me with a load high on my back, as in the toddler in this case, no matter her position.

Curls are good, as are cleans, for holding the child with one hand.

Love these. Safe to say, being a strong parent is infinitely better than being weak (in more ways than one, but I won't go on that tangent). Fundamentally a lot of it comes down to control. I'm all for letting kids explore, make mistakes, collect bruises and scars, and all that good stuff. I even try to involve my son in the parenting process, when it's appropriate, to the point of occasionally negotiating with him. That being said, there are times when you just plain need to be able to impose your will directly on the situation. Sometimes it's because of something frivolous (running late and kiddo doesn't want to stay still to get their diaper changed), and other times it's quite serious (kiddo needs to be picked up and carried away from danger). I need to have to physical capacity to take command of a situation, should the need arise, and thus far it seems like heavy snatches and presses have done the trick.

With six grandkids between the ages of 1 1/2 and 10, I’ve carried more kids; played more hide-n-seek; ran more footraces; installed, removed, and reinstalled more car seats; spent more time pushing kids on swings; slid down more slides while holding a kid; wiped more noses, and had more wrestling matches than ever before.

So how do kettlebell workouts help with all of this?

They keep me sane! ;)

Getting up off the ground after collapsing from said child sprinting full speed head first into crotch
I swear, little kids have some kind of instinctive testicle-targeting radar.

If you carry a small child around in a sling, chest carrier or backpack carrier, the KB hack squat is SPP. You have to be able to squat down on your toes while keeping your torso upright, so the kid doesn't spill out of the carrier. This is especially relevant if you take the child with you in the carrier to walk the dog and have to pick up the dog poop.

Here's a nice tutorial by @Pavel Macek:
Article: Antifragile and Strong Knees: The Russian Lion’s Kettlebell Hack Squat Tutorial | StrongFirst
Video (embedded in the article):

TGU = good for getting off the floor repeatedly and make the knees comfortable with being uncomfortable

Goblet squat = way better to squat and let kids climb on board for piggie back than have them launch from furniture. The hold also mimics the two handed grab and hoisting of kids for a better, quick look at things in trees, bushes, parades.

Bent press = kids always get a thrill from being pressed against the ceiling one handed

Heavy rack holds = static holding strength to give a kid a nice seat on your arm for long minutes at a time

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom