all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Training _What Does Science Say?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I believe in the real world benefits of odd object training, of which kettlebells are included. Barbells strength and power building characteristics are undisputed, but gym strength does not necessarily express itself in reality.

Yes it will be interesting to see how many other evidence based research organizations like the NSCA devote their time to study the training effects kettlebell training.

I believe in the real world benefits of odd object training, of which kettlebells are included. Barbells strength and power building characteristics are undisputed, but gym strength does not necessarily express itself in reality.

Well said Geoff. I very much agree. At the workout level the variability that can be accomplished in something as seemingly structured as S&S is incredible. Candidates for variance are all pieces of S&S. The warm-ups (goblet, hip bridge, and halo), main (swings, get-ups) and stretching (90/90/, QL). For example almost every time I do 5 goblet squats it's sometimes down and right up, other times turning sideways and back and forth, other times curls, etc). With the swing it can be 1 hand, two hands, alternating hands, etc. Similar variations of the get-up also.

Let's not forget all of Pavel's mentions in S&S of Nicholas Taleb's Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder.

It ties in to the workout level and far beyond that to the "life"level.

They are still testing linear strength. They are not testing the twisty, non-linear strength imparted by kettlebells.

It's like taking guys who study French and guys who study German, and then testing them at how much better their French got after 8 weeks.

Isn't this problem with the studies obvious, or am I missing something???

Even with the aerobic testing, they are using cycling and running to test this. I'd figure kettlebell aerobic capacity would be different than that for cycling or running as it emphasizes different parts of the physical system.

My kettlebell training makes me strong at moving a weight hanging down from a grip or swinging from a grip.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom