all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell vs Dumbbell Raises

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

movestrength

Level 4 Valued Member
What would be the different between training lateral raises with a kettlebell or dumbbell? Would the kettlebell focus more on stability or would it train the forearm more than the shoulders due to the grip of a kettlebell?

You can't really do lateral raises with a kettlebell. Well, you can but the weight will be severely limited due to the long lever. If you do lateral raises I'd suggest you do them with dumbbells only.

What would be the different between training lateral raises with a kettlebell or dumbbell? Would the kettlebell focus more on stability or would it train the forearm more than the shoulders due to the grip of a kettlebell?

Lateral raises are not on the bottom of my list - they are even not in my list - so I can't really answer the question. We can imho do way better exercises with both tools.

Last edited:
If you grip the kettlebell to where it's extended (not hanging) it would actually create a very effective and challenging version of the lateral raise. In fact it might be to hard to do for most. You should be able to use a pretty light bell. Pavel actually has some tips for lateral raises in beyond bodybuilding that would apply to any implement used. I just remember him saying not to lift weight higher than shoulders.
Only bad thing about kettlebells in this situation is the large increments of weight. You might be better off doing as a lateral hold and try to progress in time under tension. Good luck!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom