all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell weight progression for beginners

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Multiple weight increments would also be useful in implementing 'pyramid' and 'drop set' bodybuilding-style programmes
Yes! :)
One day I will line up all of my KBs and do a reverse press pyramid:
8Kg x11, 12Kg x10, 16Kg x 9, ... , 44Kg x2, 48Kg x1, ... , 8Kg x11

Although by the time I'll be able to press the beast, I'll probably own a 56 and 68 aswell and would need to include them aswell...o_Oo_O:D

Hello,

The very good thing about multiple weights is that you can then work on very precise assymetric exercises to challenge (but not jeopardize) balance and core strength.

Kind regards,

Pet

Hi,

This Simply Sinister Training Plan looks very interesting, especially that I love snatches and I am chronically lacking time :)

But I have one issue with it and hopefully one of senior members can answer my question. Is this training (with minimising rest time) droping the philosophy of anabolic work and aerobic rest and no glycolic work? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Maq

Hello,

I was wondering the same ! Glad to see I am not alone :)

Instinctively, I'd say that it drops a little the S&S standard philosophy because if you want to properly run that program, you are "obliged" to respect a time frame.

IMO this program increases S&S density (more reps / weight in the same amount of time).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

The very good thing about multiple weights is that you can then work on very precise assymetric exercises to challenge (but not jeopardize) balance and core strength.

Kind regards,

Pet
I love them, assymetric carried walks usually make my day. Also kneeling one arm (light) KB bottoms-up press or one arm (light) dumbbell bench press.
Hello,

Another progression tactic which seems pretty interesting:
The Simply Sinister Training Plan

Kind regards,

Pet'

thank you, I will keep an eye on that

But I have one issue with it and hopefully one of senior members can answer my question. Is this training (with minimising rest time) droping the philosophy of anabolic work and aerobic rest and no glycolic work? Or am I missing something?

Not sure if I qualify, but I will give my thoughts. ;)

It looks like a great tactic for sort of a glycolytic peaking, and intense practice for the requirements of S&S. For someone with a solid fitness base (aerobic base, strength, technique in the S&S skills), it is probably really effective in re-accomplishing a previous level. I may try it myself. Also might be good for someone who has been doing S&S for a while to take a run at a slightly increased level, doing this for a few short weeks.

I wouldn't recommend it as a daily practice for any great length of time. And I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. As you said, Maq, it's not alactic + aerobic, which I believe is a healthier way to train in the long run. It's more glycolytic. And glycolytic isn't bad in itself, but in a context where it's the only training (each day, or over a period of time), it can be. Having said that... In this equation, all activity counts. So whereas if a sedentary person is only training 15 minutes a day, doing something intense like this ONLY, they can overtrain the glycolytic energy system which is further detriment to the weak aerobic system.... But a person who walks or does other low-level activity for several hours a day may be quite different. Even though they may not consider it training, that activity counts in the balance, because it contributes a lot to a healthy aerobic system. So a little glycolytic work on top of that can work quite well.

Interested in any other inputs.

Reactions: Maq
Hello,

But a person who walks or does other low-level activity for several hours a day may be quite different
I walk a lot. My daily walk volume is about 1h30 with 10kg back pack (15 minutes back, 15 minutes forth, 1h at midday). Before that, I used to climb lots of stairs just for fun. I have great difficulty to enter in red zone now. For instance, even a snatch test for my weight category does not put me in red zone.

IMO, for someone who has reached Simple, it can be a good option once or twice a week as a variety day but it would burn someone out on an everyday basis. To a certain extent, this kind of "increasing density" training remind me of Crossfit.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Just see it as a short term progression tactic.
Do that for 4-6 weeks and then continue your usual S&S.
S&S is your park bench program and the Simply Sinister Plan can be one of your bus bench programs. Dan John recommends you do 2-4 of them per year.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom