all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell weight to body weight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

vlam

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi friends, awhile back I saw an article that mentioned something along the lines that a kettlebell weight should be about 30% of one's body weight. I forgot the details and can't seem to find the article anymore, but wanted to know if this is something that's been discussed before in the community. What's the basis for this determination and is this something that still being advised? Thank you!

Well, my thoughts go a different way. I do S&S as my main program, and it's amazing! I can do the routine with a 40kg bell, but it's a bit of a struggle, and I believe Pavel himself even said that those that want to get to the 40 and 48 in S&S have to put some real extra into their training. The 32kg is perfect for me - certainly heavy enough to get a great strength-endurance-power workout but not so heavy as to make it all too slow or annoying.

In my opinion I can maintain excellent strength and fitness relative to my bodyweight of 100kg sticking to S&S with the 32kg bell. Think about it: swinging one third of your body weight 100 times violently, using just one arm! That's some serious stuff right there! Also, going through the twisty adventure that is the TGU with again, 1/3 of your bodyweight held in just 1 arm, that is definitely nothing to shake a stick at!

The longer I work with kettlebells the more I feel that the point isn't to chase weight going heavier and heavier, but to chase power and endurance with the same weight until if/when you've really mastered the weight. I've come to realize that there is a reason the 32kg bell is set as the "Simple" standard: it's because there is no need to go beyond it - you can perhaps if you want to, but no need. If you're into heavy weight, this is what the barbell is for.

Power Production ?

"There was a research done by Brandon Hetzler (Science of the Swing) claiming that the kettle bell swing maximum power production is seen with a 30% bodyweight. He also mentioned that with heavier kettle bells, you have to focus your more on balancing yourself so you won't be pulled forward by the momentum of the kettle bell."​

More at link

The conflation in that article of “Force”, measured in Newtons and “Power” measured in Watts has always vexed me because all of the “lessons learned” revolve around the idea of “30% of body weight for Power”. Unfortunately the article doesn’t actually demonstrate that, it demonstrates Force. For the data to make any statement about Power, a time component in the Force production history must be introduced then Power can be calculated.

Thank you everyone, this is very helpful. For a person who is doing predominantly two handed swings, is it better to follow these guidelines and use a kettlebell more towards 1/3 their bodyweight or use the general standard sizes (8kg, 12kg, 16kg, 24kg, 32kg) regardless of how much they weigh?

Work up to the simple standard and you will have a good strength and conditioning base

Hi SuperGirevik, right now I'm just working on two handed swings and want to get myself accustomed to the feel of a kettlebell but eventually would like to try Simple and Sinister.

I strongly suggest that you use your heaviest kettlebell that you can swing properly up to 10 times. Also, find an SFG near you and get at least a couple of sessions to ensure a good swing. If there is no nearby SFG or your funds are limited, post a video of your swing: there are plenty of SFGs on this forum who teach the swing everyday.

Back to my previous answer, the 30% guideline regards overspeed swings. If you are still refining your swing, please don't try overspeed swings yet. If you are meeting with an SFG, he/she will know when you are ready and can teach them.

Hi SuperGirevik, right now I'm just working on two handed swings and want to get myself accustomed to the feel of a kettlebell but eventually would like to try Simple and Sinister.
Pavel recommends that strong gentlemen start with a 24kg when doing Simple & Sinister.

If you are just learning how to swing the kettlebell, I wouldn’t worry too much about the weight. You can start with a 16kg or 24kg. I recommend getting your form checked by a SFG instructor or by submitting a video on here before increasing the weight.

Just my 2 cents.

Can't stress the take lessons from an sfg instructor enough..

I have had a few consultations with students that their technique improved significantly with just 1-2 hands-on corrections that they were not addressing training on their own

So if I am to understand this correctly, if you use 30% of your bodyweight as you lose weight through fat burning (say one goes 175 lb. 23% bf to 160 lbs. 18% bf) then you should go lighter from a 24kg to 22kg kb as you progress further?

The big jumps in kb weight help you keep from over complicating it. At 79kg, i own 4 bells. 2 hand swings are typically 40 but sometimes 32. 24 may get a little action on a day needing recharge. With big jumps in size i quickly know if i have the weight wrong. I can feel the Goldilocks bell. When 16 is too easy get the 24. 24 --> 32. ... And learn technique right from the start and follow S&S. Do it right, do it once.

So if I am to understand this correctly, if you use 30% of your bodyweight as you lose weight through fat burning (say one goes 175 lb. 23% bf to 160 lbs. 18% bf) then you should go lighter from a 24kg to 22kg kb as you progress further?

No, I would never recommend that. As you get more proficient and powerful, the weight you can effectively swing will go up.

If one subscribed to the 30% bodyweight recommendation (I do not), then I think it's safe to assume it could be applied to an approximate bodyweight at an "ideal-ish" lean body mass. It also seems to apply to an "ideal-ish" swing; i.e., once you've developed a good competent swing, there's a sweet spot for power production. But it takes a while to get there; i.e. months or years.

Just keep swinging and practicing with a challenging weight.

30% is an ESTIMATION for maximum power production and thus the recommendation for Shadow Swings (speed eccentrics)

For any other kind of Swing you use the bell, that is moderately challenging for you, but NOT to much. Like... a weight you can use for 10 repetitions WITHOUT losing the float. ( that moment when the bell is high and weightless ;) )

Losing TOTAL bodyweight, or gaining, shouldn't change the bell that you use. You figure out, as a starter, which bell is about 30% of your BW. Which for the avarage male is 24kg ( for me 20) which is why it is the starter weight in S&S for men.

So when you start, find a bell between 25/30% of your bodyweight. And stick with it until you are proficient at 2 handed swings, then progress to hand 2 hand swings, then progress to one-hand swings, with that weight.

When you advance you will start using heavier bells. for example, 70% bw bells for 2 hand swings. No problem . BUT when you decide to do speed eccentrics (shadow swings) drop weight to 30%.

It's not complicated at all :)

I think the 30% guideline from that article may be obsolete. Q&D describes two methods for finding the bell that allows you to produce maximum power with swings, and bodyweight doesn't factor into either of them.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom