all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebells and cardio

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marino

Level 5 Valued Member
I recently read some articles by a respected trainer which have caused me to question the completeness of kettlebell training. Some of the suggestions in the articles are that kettlebells are only for training endurance not for strength and that to be properly fit requires a person to do long slow distance running (i.e. running at 180BPM minus your age for extended periods).

If I ever get to the Beast Tamer standards, I will be very happy with that level of strength.

It's the suggestion of needing to do long slow distance runs to be properly fit which perplexes me. Does an A&A protocol such as those posted by Al Ciampa on this site do for you what a 45 minute steady run would do?

I don't run because I think it is boring and it irritates an old knee injury. I was also of the belief that for heart health and fitness gains repeated bursts of effort over an extended period were the best solution. Now I'm not so sure.

"Properly Fit"

I'm not sure what that means to you - I have some ideas what it means to me.

Example: I don't hear about many NFL guys doing a lot of LSD. Most seem pretty fit.

@Marino, we were just discussing "completeness" in other thread. There is no such thing. There is no such thing as "properly fit," only fit to lead the life each of us has chosen.

I walk - that's my cardio, and my health seems to be everyone's envy, or at the very least, my doctor's. I'm thin, I'm strong, and I weigh what I weighed when I graduated high school, which is my choice.

Train S&S for six months and let us know how your health is - that will be the test for you.

-S-

any trainer who states that a tool, like a kettlebell or barbell, can only be used for a certain type of conditioning, should be considered suspect. Strength and endurance can both be trained using barbells, kettlebells, and bodyweight. it's the programming which determines the type of conditioning. choose your goals and then find a reputable coach to guide you in attaining those goals - by the way, a reputable coach should not tell you that you have to use a specific tool to attain your goals unless your goals are specific to that tool.

I have had many an iron lifter tell me that bells are a waste of time.....until they try a heavy press with one and can't do it. At my age I like the clean and press because of the strength with some cardio spillover and couldn't care less about benching. Clean and presses with barbells hurt my wrists, and Dumbbells feel awkward. The double kbells just work for me. I've trained with some "heavy benchers" not able to press a 32kg kbell.

Any tool works, you just have to know how to use it.

Yeah. We all need to run. Comes up literally all the time. I can't tell you how many times I've had to run long distances at a relaxed pace in my life when I wasn't being driven with a whip and a chair by a coach or a PT standard. Everybody's doing it, so it must be necessary. Ron Burgundy even says so.
You. Must. Yog.

Thanks for the responses. I have been doing S&S fairly consistently for nearly 2 years. In that time I've also done the SF520 protocol and the 10000 swing challenge. My general health is fine according to my last medical which I attribute to KBs. I guess if I need to be better conditioned for something in the future I'll adjust my programming but for now I'll stick with the ROP and deadlifts.

My father-in-law was a big runner in his 30's and 40's.

I'm going in ten minutes to visit him in the hospital where he is recovering from his second hip replacement.

As I get older I have more friends and acquaintances that are getting knee and hip replacements.

With rare exception, they all wished they had run less and walked more or done some other form of exercise.

What did Jim Fixx die of?

I am 53.

No joint issues.

A couple of tissue issues related to flexibility that kettlebells are fixing for me.

I believe I will get all the cardio and strength training I need from Kettlebell practice.

I'm not against running, but I'm glad I don't.

For you real running enthusiasts I'd recommend, "Born to Run," by Christopher McDougall.

I believe training or training equipment are like any other tool. If you need to drive a nail you need a hammer, not a wrench. So, if you have a reason you need to run or it's part of your overall goal you should run. That being said, unless you have a specific reason you need to run (pure enjoyment is a reason) I don't think it's absolutly necessary. I know running in the miltary banged up my knees pretty badly. I wouldn't run unless I'm being chased by monsters.

Btw- I forgot to mention that I went from barely being able to climb two flights of stairs to going a half mile up a mountain with only kettlebells (I made it look ugly and I took several short rests, but I did it)

I think building a decent level of aerobic capacity is a healthy thing to do and will have positive carry over into any form of training.

I also think there are many ways to build this aerobic capacity. All of them involve being active and moving though.

Running is definitely one way of achieving this - it is associated with a high injury rate though. A slow run or walk outside can be a great way to spend an hour. I'd rather visit the dentist than run indoors on a treadmill though.

If you don't run and want to take it up you can do a lot worse than grab a HR monitor and follow Phil Maffetone's principals. Avoiding injury is key and his method prioritises that.

Personal opinion - kettlebells have done more for my 'fitness' (whatever that means) than running ever has. But I'll still run when I feel like it.

Hi Steve, you've mentioned walking as cardio before and I was just wondering how many miles you walk in a session and in per week or so. I agree with you on the benefits of walking; I'll try to do two miles at lunch if work isn't too busy and might go for a three or four-miler with the wife and dog after kettlbebelling on weekends (although they do bring down my mph.....) Anyway, just curious about your walking regimen. Thanks.

I walk mostly to get places. 2 mi per day on average, I'd guess.

My resting pulse, midday, is mid-50's, was 48 just now, early am resting pulse is about 40, blood pressure around 110 over 65.

-S-

You can absolutely develop you aerobic base with KB work. You just need to understand how to manage fatigue, heart rate, technique etc. It's a skill that can be developed like anything. It's really a question of what is going to fatigue first when it comes to KB work in an aerobic setting. This is why the alactic/aerobic template works so well ( think S&S ). Are you going to do 60-90 minutes of bell work? Probably not.

It all depends on your goals really.

I use a combination of tools with my athletes to develop their base and it seems to work great.

Here is an aerobic session I love:

BTW ( HR stays between 125-145 )

2H swings OTM for 10 min ( use a medium bell )
5 minute jog
5 minute row
:15 on :15 off KB snatches with a light bell for 10 minutes

repeat x2.

Its an hour total.

Just an example

Hi Steve, thanks for the explanation. I don't measure my vitals too often but it sounds like you do and walking helps you a lot.

I'm not a numbers kind of guy, but I do a breathing practice which recommends that you take your pulse before and afterwards, so I usually do. Disclaimer: I teach this breathing practice, as do several other of my StrongFirst colleagues, link here - OxyInside Breathing Courses | OxyInside.com.

And my wife is working on taking her blood pressure every night before she goes to sleep as a form of biofeedback - hers is borderline high and this is helping. Since the gadget is just laying there, every once in a while - once a week, maybe - I take my blood pressure and that shows my pulse, too. My model is simple:

I wish to be able to express myself, in both body and mind, at both ends of the strength/flexibility (or tension/relaxation, yang/yin, or hard/soft - any of those work for me) continuum. Strength training takes care of the strength/tension side, while breathing training, relaxed walking, and meditation are all things I do for the flexible/relaxed side.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom