all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebells and Gridiron?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Dan John had to invent the goblet squat because he couldn't get a group of young athletes (college or high school, I don't remember) to squat properly.

Dan, somewhat recently, has also said he isn't a fan of loaded TGUs for pro athletes.

Remember -- you've only got 2-4 hours a week to do S&C in NCAA.

And you still have to fit in benching, sprints, cone drills, vertical jump, broad jump, shuttle drills, etc.

Plus any non-Combine lifts that are common, such as power cleans.

Out of those 2-4 hours, what are you going to drop each week to fit in the TGU?
I am sure there are lot's of reasons not to include the Get Up. But I was just puzzled about the complexity part and why learning the TGU would take so much time that you would need to cut back on practicing your sport like you mentioned earlier. The thread has developed beyond that but just to clarify sure what I was struggling with I will throw in my response :)

I am sure there are lot's of reasons not to include the Get Up. But I was just puzzled about the complexity part and why learning the TGU would take so much time that you would need to cut back on practicing your sport like you mentioned earlier. The thread has developed beyond that but just to clarify sure what I was struggling with I will throw in my response :)

Whatever time it takes, it has to come from something else if you've only got 20 hours a week max total (for NCAA), and 2-4 hours of S&C time, to shove the TGU in.

In football, there are about 100 plays in most college team's playbooks, and for a given game, there will be 25-35 plays that will be selected, based on the strength and weaknesses of the opposing team, the most important of which will be drilled multiple times to get the timing down.

And next week, you do it again for the next team you play.

At my alma mater, our head coach was a 3 time Super Bowl champion who 'retired' to coach Division 1 (coaching for the 2nd time at my alma). The playbook was a watered down version of what he used with the SF 49ers. There was never enough time to learn all the plays we were expected to know.

Learning a new exercise isn't free of opportunity cost.

It may seem strange, but there wasn't a 15 minute slice of my training week that wasn't micro-managed and pre-scheduled to be doing *something* pre-determined.

They also weighed us every week, to see if you weighed in the range of what you were "supposed to weigh" given your position.

Last edited:
Yup....remember when guards were short, stocky and mobile....even NFL guards usually maxed at 245 to 50....now they're all tall as trees and well over 320.....different game today
true - I lived across the street from Randy Rasmussen when I was a teen, he was the starting OG for the NY Jets from 1968-1981, he was a big guy 6'2", 250 but nothing like the linemen on the field today. I use to stare in amazement when he would shovel his driveway after a snowstorm, I would be out there doing my parents driveway and he would come out and tear through his in no time. It was as if the snow was running away from him as he plowed through that drive. hahaha - funny memories. He had a cool trophy room.

@Keep Lifting , I remember him...lifelong Jet fan here, grew up in north Jersey...he was #66! I believe Dave Herman was the other guard on that super bowl team.

Met fan too......ouch

@Keep Lifting , I remember him...lifelong Jet fan here, grew up in north Jersey...he was #66! I believe Dave Herman was the other guard on that super bowl team.

Met fan too......ouch
yes he was #66 - life long Jet/Met fan as well - been a tough road. Hopefully new ownership will turn the Mets - I wish Woody would sell the Jets - ughhh - Happy Thanksgiving!

Important to remember in the conversation, IMHO, that past a certain point, performance and health are often at odds with each other. I recall Gray Cook saying that FMS scores of competitive athletes usually go down during their performance season. The right balance of things isn't static for anyone with performance obligations - you have in-season and you have off-season. And if you have to be in shape all the time, e.g., someone in the military, you have to choose your programming differently than, e.g., an NFL player.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom