all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Kettlebells or DL?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
At age 24?

Deadlifts.

You're at the prime point in your life to get really effing strong.

You're near your biological peak to build muscle and make gains.

Get gains now and you'll have to do much less work to simply maintain them later in life than if you try to build that same strength later.

The majority of my baseline / muscle memory strength is based upon foundations I laid down with strength training work in my 20s.

I'm not as strong as I was then, but I'm a lot stronger than my age peers who are just now trying to work on their strength and put on muscle mass later in life.
This. Unquestionably. I'm 58 and wish I'd have had the access you do to experienced trainees who have walked the walk.

Hindsight is 20/20. Especially hindsight from someone who's been engaged in an activity for decades.

I'm 58 and can still deadlift ~500 lbs, down from a 565 PR in 2010. Hindsight being 20/20 I cannot express how I wish that I'd have had this kind of access at your age. It very likely "cost" me well over 100lbs on my deadlift. Oh, well.....

But back to the point: watchnerd looks back on benefits he's still reaping decades later. He built an incredible foundation and it has served him well. If he suggested that I go outside and eat gravel, I'd book a dental appointment.....

This. Unquestionably. I'm 58 and wish I'd have had the access you do to experienced trainees who have walked the walk.

Hindsight is 20/20. Especially hindsight from someone who's been engaged in an activity for decades.

I'm 58 and can still deadlift ~500 lbs, down from a 565 PR in 2010. Hindsight being 20/20 I cannot express how I wish that I'd have had this kind of access at your age. It very likely "cost" me well over 100lbs on my deadlift. Oh, well.....

But back to the point: watchnerd looks back on benefits he's still reaping decades later. He built an incredible foundation and it has served him well. If he suggested that I go outside and eat gravel, I'd book a dental appointment.....
Funny I feel the same way....
I have alot to say to my 12 year old self.....
"STOP SPENDING ALL YOUR TIME DOING BICEP CURLS!"

Deadlifts 100%

But you might consider cycling between a few months of a powerlifting block with barbell and a few months with either barbell ballistics or kettlebell Swings and snatches. But I’d definitely start with a NLP Strength block an milk those young man newbie gains for all their work before switching it up.

Also, figure out your priorities on BJJ vs Lifting. Is getting better at BJJ your goal, and you are getting strength and conditioning work to pursue that goal? Or do you want to balance your time between the two for the enjoyment of both?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom