all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebells Outdoors

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Not me however the gym on base has a storage box with bells and bars and bumper plates as well as a bunch of other stuff. I decided to use the bells one day and they were covered in rust. I suppose with some rustoleum they would be ok but I would look for a weather proof bag to store them in.

I workout outside as I have no room inside. But I store the kb's inside the garage. Only time they get wet besides sweat is when it rains.

I can't fully understand how he manages to, but Bud Jeffries has a lot of equipment stored outside, inculiding kettlebells. Rust creeps on almost every item made of metal shown in his videos. I never kept anything outdoors and I won't until forced to. If you expose something like a kettlebell to the atmospheric agents, even humidity alone, bad things are in order to happen to the object, no matter what. It may not be this year, may not be next, but sooner or later they're gonna rust. Powder coating as suggested by @natewhite39 could slow down the process a bit, but they'll eventually end up like all the others, one day.

If you have no choice but to store them outside, @ShawnM's plastic bag solution would be a good idea, but I'd also put them in some kind of conainter. I would buy it thick enough to provide a sufficient insulation from the heat and, if you don't find it in whithe or green colours, I would paint it in one of the two. If memory serves me well, the first one absorbs the least ultraviolet rays and the second one "reflects" them.

Still, I'd go to bed with tears in my eyes because I know they're bound in a dark place and they are probably looking for me. Mom/dad/wife/husband would ask "What's up, my dear?", and I would yell to them "It's nothing!", but I'd be very sad and enraged. Outside storing of kettlebells can be potentially very dangerous. Do it only if it is your last choice.

I don't know what you mean by hold up outside. It's a chunk of iron, what can go wrong with it? A little rust never hurt anyone. As long as you don't mind getting dirty lifting rusty old iron is cooler anyway. Rust is a hard stain to get out of clothes though. The handles will get nice and seasoned. I polish the handles of all my kettlebells when they are new, and they get well seasoned with just sweat and chalk pretty quickly. They are smooth uniform handles, and the surface rust gives a good amount of grip.

I keep mine in the garage. The bodies will rust where the paint is missing, the handles only a little as they tend to season a bit from oil contact.

And...if the handles rust up more than a slight patina, you are probably getting rusty too!

left my pair of 20kgs on my boat - worse thing i did - had to sand them down and paint them as they got some serious rust. feel guilty!

Mine sit out in the garage, where evil children belong. :p

Oh my, I think I just thought of the theme with which to name my kettle bells - "Children of the Corn". Time to rewatch it for the names. LOL

In cold countries it's sort of pointless to keep them outside. I gues you're in a warm one.

I have a cheap, painted no name kb that has spent about 1/3 of the last 10 years outside. It has some rust spots, but just recently enough on the horns that I think it needs sanding and spraying. You can see it on the end here.
20161101_184029.jpg
view

They are all currently all lined up on the hearth like @Anna C , makes GTG convenient.

I live in a hot, dusty, paradoxically dry and humid climate - in the Dubai desert. About a third of my kettlebells are kept out of the sun/dust in an old wooden cabinet outside that is far from air tight. In the summer, they still get shockingly hot (great to cauterize callouses). In the fall they are slick with humidity. In the winter, the handles are cold enough to chill fingers/palms. Good quality kettlebells have minimal rust after four years. I'd bet I have easily another 4 years before I'd consider sanding/painting. Just keep them off the ground and protected from elements...a tarp would do.

Mine stay in an unheated/uncooled storage room in the Mississippi Gulf Coast's high humidity. Every now and then they will gather some rust if I don't wipe them down. A good training session will take that rust right off, if I remember to wipe them dry (not often!) they won't rust. Otherwise, repeat the previous sentences...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom