all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebells Strong First/the best all around training method

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

It's been awhile since this was talked about. It seems to have fallen to the wayside of the Giant thread(s). Is anyone still following it? Has everyone abandoned it for the Giant? I am thinking about switching gears and following it since I've noticed my gpp/cardio doesn't seem to be on par with what I want and need.

I recently came back to KBSF about a month ago. Coming off some injuries, other programs, etc., wanted something simple and effective, left me time/energy for assistance/maintenance/other activities, but was plenty if it was all I did, and lined up with some of my specific training goals. This checked the boxes for what I was looking for.

Do you have more specific goals? Which program from it were you thinking of?

Thanks,
Sam Goldner, DPT

I recently came back to KBSF about a month ago. Coming off some injuries, other programs, etc., wanted something simple and effective, left me time/energy for assistance/maintenance/other activities, but was plenty if it was all I did, and lined up with some of my specific training goals. This checked the boxes for what I was looking for.

Do you have more specific goals? Which program from it were you thinking of?

Thanks,
Sam Goldner, DPT
I'm not really coming off anything. I guess I could say the Giant, but it was sporadic. Alot of life issues and work were hindering me. I just noticed being more out of breath than I'm used to.
I was thinking of starting with the best all around training method as per Pavels article

I’m currently dabbling in it along side my marathon training. I like it, but don’t have much to report as running is currently my main focus. The lift is fairly novel to me so it’s been fun to practice.

It's been awhile since this was talked about. It seems to have fallen to the wayside of the Giant thread(s). Is anyone still following it? Has everyone abandoned it for the Giant? I am thinking about switching gears and following it since I've noticed my gpp/cardio doesn't seem to be on par with what I want and need.
The Giant has individual outcomes + it is framed in four week blocks, leading to more decision making. I think both factors lead to more talking compared to the relatively clear progression outline in KBSF and the longer time frame.

Anyway, I have just started the single LCCJ Plan A.

I am new to LCCJ, and am quite surprised by the feel of it. I think Pavel says something along the lines of "You wish that something would give out first. but it doesn't". Now I know what he means.

Yesterday, I used a timer but did not look at the minutes. At some point I thought that I must be close to 30 minutes, but I was only 20 minutes in. I felt a general fatigue build up (probably RPE of 7 at that point). But the load is spread in such a way that I could handle the weight for another solid and powerful 10 minutes (reaching an RPE of 7.8 or so). With A+A swings it was usually my grip that made me stop.

The soreness is also spread all over. (I attribute the soreness to poor sleep and the LCCJ being a new exercise for me.)

That last 15 minutes really felt like manual labour. This was a mental challenge, in a way. Looking forward to getting used to this type of work!

PS: My plan is to alternate 2 weeks of ROP with 2 weeks of KBSF Plan A for at least 6 months (more likely 12 months).

The Giant has individual outcomes + it is framed in four week blocks, leading to more decision making. I think both factors lead to more talking compared to the relatively clear progression outline in KBSF and the longer time frame.

Anyway, I have just started the single LCCJ Plan A.

I am new to LCCJ, and am quite surprised by the feel of it. I think Pavel says something along the lines of "You wish that something would give out first. but it doesn't". Now I know what he means.

Yesterday, I used a timer but did not look at the minutes. At some point I thought that I must be close to 30 minutes, but I was only 20 minutes in. I felt a general fatigue build up (probably RPE of 7 at that point). But the load is spread in such a way that I could handle the weight for another solid and powerful 10 minutes (reaching an RPE of 7.8 or so). With A+A swings it was usually my grip that made me stop.

The soreness is also spread all over. (I attribute the soreness to poor sleep and the LCCJ being a new exercise for me.)

That last 15 minutes really felt like manual labour. This was a mental challenge, in a way. Looking forward to getting used to this type of work!

PS: My plan is to alternate 2 weeks of ROP with 2 weeks of KBSF Plan A for at least 6 months (more likely 12 months).
I‘ve done the swing/TGU plan and the DLCCJ plans; I liked them both. This time around I’m starting with the Swing/TGU plan and giving it a lot of love and attention before switching to the LCCJ plans (at which point I may do some type of block training, like we talked about in that other thread). I do the same thing as you with the clock during the TGUs and those are definitely a time-bender. I never know how long I’ve been doing them until I look, sometimes I’m pleasantly surprised and sometimes quite the opposite. Constant TGUs feels very similar regarding soreness or general fatigue afterwards to BJJ training. I’m not on the mats these days due to my schedule so it’s nice to get that feel still. I also am a firefighter so I try to think of that time as what I’d do if I was working, which is just keep going, so I take as little rest as possible to make sure my form is acceptable.

Thanks,
Sam Goldner, DPT

I've been doing the swings & TGU plan for a few months.

BJJ related injuries pushed me to this plan in the first place, and so far it's been a great support for my old guy white belt BJJ training. I do think it helps with cardio when rolling.

Planning to stick with the swings / TGUs until I qualify for the LCCJ plan, and then run that for at least long enough to see how it works for me.

Yep; I'm still following Plans A and B (meant to be alternated). I like that it gives me a little more time for my martial arts and other training. I am considering trying out Easy Muscle sometime, but I feel like I'm getting what I need out of this program. I intend to stick with KBSF for a few more cycles to see how well I progress.

One thing I notice is that these sessions can leave me deeply relaxed and at ease for several hours following the session.

Last edited:
I'll probably do push presses instead of jerks. I just can't find the groove for jerks and I just love the push press.

I've been following Plan 2 @2x25kg (55lb bells :D) for almost three months. It's been awesome. Currently at a de-load / recovery from back inflammation (this cleared up over the weekend and I fixed my form before yesterday's 10x1' of jerks) due to experimentation with GS technique which is, IMHO, vastly superior to the hardstyle jerk, but obviously not necessary for the purpose of this program.

I progressed from CJ x 30 to about 2CJ x 20-25 (upper end of that range is hard). I have on occasion, in true A+A fashion, trained untimed and gone up even to CJC x 42 OTM or 2CJ x 28 (50:00). I am absolutely enamored by GS and am currently training "hybrid" - I do hardstyle cleans and GS jerks, do times jerk or snatch sets, and once a week I do GS jerk/snatch. In addition, I go running or hit the air bike for 30 min to an hour 3x/week. I'm in the best shape of my life and absorbing this training really well. Double jerk is addicting. Double bell is addicting, whether hardstyle or girevoy.

Recent PBs:
- 5.2 mi. run without knee pain I would have gotten from it the last two years, in 1:16:00. Easy effort, nasal breathing.
- OALC (GS) @25kg , 14x 1-min. (28:00 total, min on, min off) sets at 9rpm (no soreness or fatigue. Felt like I barely worked. I also had a cold)
- All the jerks brought my press max up. I never train the press except occasionally after snatching.
- Best C&J (hybrid) was probably 2r x 20 OTM @2x25kg, followed by timed jerk sets.
-Also have lost like 6-7 lbs on this plan?

Last edited:
In the q and a Pavel says you can bumbling it up to three times a week. Also, he says you can do doubles if you're after more hypertrophy. Couldn't you run it as a,b,a three times a week? A being singles and b being doubles? Sort of best of both worlds.

In the q and a Pavel says you can bumbling it up to three times a week. Also, he says you can do doubles if you're after more hypertrophy. Couldn't you run it as a,b,a three times a week? A being singles and b being doubles? Sort of best of both worlds.
I tried the doubles three times a week, he suggested lowering the volume for the third day to 60-80% of what you did the other days. Personally, IMO, three times is too many, and the third day would be better spent with OALC or snatching. Alternating A and B would probably work really well, and would help with imbalances.

I have bells everywhere so I would have to do to uneven bells. I have bells of every size so the jump wouldn't be too sever. Would this be OK? I won't be trying the double for awhile anyways as my work schedule is insane and deer/turkey season opens next weekend so I'll only have time for the two one arm sessions a week. Tuesday and Thursday as Pavel says. But once hunting season is over, I'd like to give the aba schedule a whirl.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom