all posts post new thread

Kettlebells - Strongfirst (BJJ Fanatics)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Valentijn

Level 4 Valued Member
In this log I'm going to try to keep track of my progress with the KB-StrongFirst program from BJJFanatics. Normally I train kickboxing twice a week, but due to several lockdowns and some problems with my company, it is currently very difficult to train kickboxing more than once a week. And we'll have to wait and see when we can kickbox again, since the Netherlands is currently in a lockdown again.

In terms of weekly training schedule I use 'Black Professional' from the book Tactical Barbell II Conditioning. In my case this comes down to the following:

- 1x per week an endurance run of at least 60 minutes.
- KB-Strongfirst twice a week.
- 2x a week HIC training (kickboxing).*

* When kickboxing is not an option, I choose another HIC workout from the TB Conditioning book.

The KB-StrongFirst program that I follow is the Advanced Training (Double Kettlebell Clean & Jerk).

I hope this log is of some use to you and if you have any questions or comments, I'd love to hear them! Thank you for reading.

STATS:

39 year old male
178cm
73/75kg

Last edited:
05-12-2021

KB-StrongFirst: Clean, Jerk, Clean: EMOM x 22min x 2x24kg

06-12-2021

Trail Running: 90 min.

07-12-2021

KB-StrongFirst: Clean, Jerk, Clean: EMOM x 24min x 2x24kg

08-12-2021

HIC: Fobbits 23 min.

09-12-2021

No kickboxing. HIC: Indoor Power Intervals 25 min.

12-12-2021

KB-StrongFirst: Clean, Jerk, Clean: EMOM x 30min x 2x24kg*

*Hit 30 min. So according to the program I have to add an Jerk the next session.

13-12-2021

Trail Running: 1 hour and 52 min.

14-12-2021

KB-StrongFirst: Clean, Jerk, Clean, Jerk: EMOM x 20min x 2x24kg

15-12-2021

HIC: Kickboxing 60 min.

16-12-2021

HIC: Fobbits 26 min.

20-12-2021

KB-StrongFirst: Clean, Jerk, Clean, Jerk: EMOM x 22min x 2x24kg

21-12-2021

Running: 60 min.

22-12-2021

HIC: Fobbits 30 min.

23-12-2021

KB-StrongFirst: Clean, Jerk, Clean, Jerk: EMOM x 21min x 2x24kg

24-12-2021

HIC: 600m Resets.

Next week is the fourth training week of the BJJ Fanatics KB-StrongFirst program. This means it is a deload week. I have to keep the parameters from the last session, only the weight of the kettlebells has to be reduced by 8kg.

Week 4 - Deload week

28-12-2021

KB-StrongFirst: Clean, Jerk, Clean, Jerk: EMOM x 21min x 2x16kg

I really had to focus on my form, since the weights felt really really light.

My standard warmup routine:

5 min. Jump Rope
5 min. Mobility Drills (leg swings, hip circles, etc.)

In between sets I do 'Fast and Loose' drills and focus on my breathing as recommend in the video's.

29-12-2021

Running: 60 min.

A couple of week ago I purchased MKM from Geoff Neupert. Planning to alternate it with KB-StrongFirst in 12 week blocks.

MKM came with an bonus e-book: 24 hour diet. I started that today (I'm drinking the gelatin coconut coffee as I type this) and am curious how it will work for me in the long run.

Love the way your thinking/training! LCCJ/bjj program is gonna be one of the programs i run later this year alongside marathon training. Is the block idea to focus on power with bjj, then hypertrophy with MKM (im not really familiar with this product specifically)?

Love the way your thinking/training! LCCJ/bjj program is gonna be one of the programs i run later this year alongside marathon training. Is the block idea to focus on power with bjj, then hypertrophy with MKM (im not really familiar with this product specifically)?
Thank you @LarryB !
No the switch up in a couple of months is only to prevent boredom :D

Good luck with your marathon training. Did you ever run a mararthon before?

This deload week is very hard for me. I'm at home because of the lockdown and the only thing that keeps me mentally on track is training. Now I have to take it easy because of the deload week and that is anything but easy. I almost have to tie myself to keep from doing too much.

30-12-2021

(Easy) HIC: Fobbits* 20 min.

* are a High Intensity Conditioning session from the Tactical Barbell 2 book. In my case I alternate 2 or 3 minutes of jumping rope with 1 or 2 strength exercises.

Today was:

A1. 2 min. jump rope
A2. RFESS 5 per side
A3. 2 Pullups
x 20 min.

Thanks! I have, trying to find the right balance of training still though.
For me that is the hardest part; finding balance in training.

This morning I received an invitation from a friend to run a trail marathon in March. A very tempting and fun offer, but that would mean that if I do that I would have to change my entire training.

Choices! I told him I'll give the answer tonight.

That is tempting. I love running/racing (especially trails) but I don’t currently have a combat sport for it to compete with. You could do the half without changing things up much.

02-01-2022

After the warm up, I started well, but after the 9th minute I suddenly felt something strange on the left side of my lower back. This was while I was doing the jerk.

I put the kettlebells down, did some fast and loose drills, and at the start of the new minute I felt something strange (and this time quite painful) in the same spot while doing the jerk.

I decided to stop training and try again today. With the first jerk, the pain returned immediately. After a 5 minute break, I picked up the kettlebells again and this time did a press. To my surprise, it was completely painless. I tried a double kettlebell front squat and it went without a hitch.

After a few minutes of thinking about how my training should continue, I decided to continue with 'Dry Fighting Weight' (for now). The reason I chose this program is because both exercises are completely painless. I will finish this program and then start again with the KB-Strongfirst program.

03-01-2022

Dry Fighting Weight - W1 - D1

A1. Double KB Clean & Press
A2. Double KB Front Squat

3 ladders of 1,2,3 for both exercises with 2x24kg.

I deliberately took it easy because I was quite shocked by yesterday's pain. I can't remember the last time I had an injury and I'd like to keep it that way.

Hi Valentijn-
Question about the KB Strongfirst program for BJJ--I have a shoulder issue that does not allow me to press overhead or do the part of the get up with a hand overhead.I can do squats,cleans and swings.Would this program still be a fit for me?Thanks for your advice

I've just downloaded a revised KB-SF programme (looks at first glance to be an enhanced Plan B / Plan 2B).
Nice to get an update at all.
Only confusion is that the file has suffix "v2" whereas last year's download was "v3".
Any insight appreciated, thanks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom