all posts post new thread
I am not sure how to choose the correct bell.

There are two bells which are between 6 and 12 RM. To those who completed one of the plans (Jerk, A+B), how did you select your bell and why?
I think it's pretty safe to follow a guideline of, "when in doubt, choose the lighter weight." You can always go back and do it again heavier.

-S-

Anyone seeing any hypertrophy with this program? Clearly it doesn't prioritize gaining mass, but Pavel talks about it some hypertrophy in the article. The Best All-Around Training Method EVER | StrongFirst (link for those that haven't seen the article, which gives you Plan A of the "Kettlebells Strongfirst" program.)

Curious if those that followed Plan A (or through Plan B) put on any mass. Thanks.
I wonder if Pavel would ok the use of push press instead of the jerk?

Both the long push press and the standard push press are included in this program.
Theong push press is basically a front squat exploding into the press, correct? If so, I reckon there might be some serious doms lol

Theong push press is basically a front squat exploding into the press, correct? If so, I reckon there might be some serious doms lol
Ha, yes, also known as a thruster. It's explained as a stepping stone in the learning process and the videos show proper form, but I don't think you'll end up doing them for whole sessions. This is from the manual:

"Before starting the following plan, spend a couple of months practicing the C&J progression with a single kettlebell: cleans, front squats, two types of push presses, and, finally, jerks."

in the weight targets: is there a rep / set count for the TGU targets? I only see the target weight for each level.
And if I understand, this is for the heavy partials and not a full getup?

Or do I fall back on S&S examples: 10 reps total, full TGU, and with more time...

in the weight targets: is there a rep / set count for the TGU targets? I only see the target weight for each level.
And if I understand, this is for the heavy partials and not a full getup?

Or do I fall back on S&S examples: 10 reps total, full TGU, and with more time...
Reps; yes, sets; no

Hey folks, wanted to ask for some advise on the Kettlebells Strongfirst program. Today I began the Beginner to Intermediate Training.
Weight progression on the Swings is clear. I'm unclear how and when to progress the TGU's.

Program states: "Upgrade to heavier kettlebells whenever comfortable. Mix two weights when you are making a gradual transition."

Should I:
A. Adopt a step progression approach and slowly work the Heavy bell into my Medium day.
B. When I can do a full TGU with the Heavy bell, this becomes my Medium bell.
C. None of the above, do it like this: "x'."

Really looking forward to reading the article from @Mike Torres on this one.

Appreciate any help. Thank you forum!

Hey folks, wanted to ask for some advise on the Kettlebells Strongfirst program. Today I began the Beginner to Intermediate Training.
Weight progression on the Swings is clear. I'm unclear how and when to progress the TGU's.

Program states: "Upgrade to heavier kettlebells whenever comfortable. Mix two weights when you are making a gradual transition."

Should I:
A. Adopt a step progression approach and slowly work the Heavy bell into my Medium day.
B. When I can do a full TGU with the Heavy bell, this becomes my Medium bell.
C. None of the above, do it like this: "x'."

Really looking forward to reading the article from @Mike Torres on this one.

Appreciate any help. Thank you forum!
"without struggle" is the definition of the Medium bell.
I did a mix recently where I peppered the larger bell in; 4 lighter, 2 heavier, 4 lighter, 2 heavier, and so on.
But A would work. It works great with S&S.

I personally did (and recommend doing) A similar to the S&S progression (a mixed, gradual transition before switching entirely to a heavier bell). I think you will get a false signal if you make your heavy bell your medium bell once you can do a full TGU. In following that, my Medium bell would be 52kg instead of 32kg! Remember, you're doing these for 30-60 minutes.

I use the heavy day to push myself, the medium day to practice, and the light day to focus on moving better and building resilience. I keep the light day very light (20kg) and focus on head/shoulder rotations and pressing from various positions. It's more "flowy" and inline with the StrongFirst Resilient approach.

Hi everyone,
When you are judging whether your progress has stalled in the LCCJ plans, how many sessions do you use to make that decision?

As I read through a lot of these posts, I surmise a lot of questions would be answered only once one gains enough experience by doing the actual program. More specifically, you would have learned enough once one becomes "intermediate" on Plan1.

Intermediate was defined as:
Swings: 40% bodyweight doing 5 reps for 20 sets inside 20 minutes while ALWAYS passing the talk test.
Get up: 40% bodyweight (no other details give, but I assume 5 reps each arm in 30 minutes, always passing the talk test)

So one would stay on Plan1 until they reach those numbers. No need to question anything from Plan2A or Plan2B until we're Intermediate, or at least very close. And by then you would have most of the answers through experience...

I truly know how hard it is to stay on a "nothing changes diet" of swings and getups. A full year of S&S taught me patience and quite a few other things too... And I'm only at Timeless Simple... But I see the same thing required for this program for all us non-intermediates.

Just a thought.

Hi,

New forum member here. I started with the Beginner to Intermediate program a couple weeks ago and really like it. I actually ended up getting inspired by the program and signed up for a BJJ beginners course starting next week.

However, I´m a bit concerned that adding BJJ two times per week on top of the three kettlebell sessions could be a bit too taxing for my current condition and life circumstances. Would it then make more sense to have two more demanding weekly kettlebell sessions or try to keep the three weekly sessions and make them lighter (by e.g. going down in weight)?

The solutions that come to my mind would be to either
a) split the three sessions over 1.5 weeks instead of one week
b) drop the intermediate or light day
c) do the program as written with a lighter kettlebell.

I realise that this means that progress might be slower. However, I think it might be worthwhile to prioritise continuity of training over short term gains. Appreciate any input!

Hi,

New forum member here. I started with the Beginner to Intermediate program a couple weeks ago and really like it. I actually ended up getting inspired by the program and signed up for a BJJ beginners course starting next week.

However, I´m a bit concerned that adding BJJ two times per week on top of the three kettlebell sessions could be a bit too taxing for my current condition and life circumstances. Would it then make more sense to have two more demanding weekly kettlebell sessions or try to keep the three weekly sessions and make them lighter (by e.g. going down in weight)?

The solutions that come to my mind would be to either
a) split the three sessions over 1.5 weeks instead of one week
b) drop the intermediate or light day
c) do the program as written with a lighter kettlebell.

I realise that this means that progress might be slower. However, I think it might be worthwhile to prioritise continuity of training over short term gains. Appreciate any input!
I would keep the routine exactly as is but cut the weight and work my way up.
I would also make sure to work light in the BJJ class. Let the instructor know about the program so they know you're serious about getting into shape even though you're going a little lighter in class.

You'll find as a beginner that yes, everything is super hard right now. Your body is freaking out and needs to learn how and when to relax. But with daily consistent light practice you will advance terribly quick. The hard part is to keep steady and not rush. Don't worry about short or medium term results, it's the long game you're after... Eventually you'll get to where you're going

Edit:
once a month push yourself a little bit in the BJJ classes. Has to be done on occasion to wake your body/mind up and force a little growth. Rest of the time be easy...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom