all posts post new thread
I would keep the routine exactly as is but cut the weight and work my way up.
I would also make sure to work light in the BJJ class. Let the instructor know about the program so they know you're serious about getting into shape even though you're going a little lighter in class.

You'll find as a beginner that yes, everything is super hard right now. Your body is freaking out and needs to learn how and when to relax. But with daily consistent light practice you will advance terribly quick. The hard part is to keep steady and not rush. Don't worry about short or medium term results, it's the long game you're after... Eventually you'll get to where you're going

Edit:
once a month push yourself a little bit in the BJJ classes. Has to be done on occasion to wake your body/mind up and force a little growth. Rest of the time be easy...
Sounds like good approach. I´ll go with this.
Thanks!

Hi,

New forum member here. I started with the Beginner to Intermediate program a couple weeks ago and really like it. I actually ended up getting inspired by the program and signed up for a BJJ beginners course starting next week.

However, I´m a bit concerned that adding BJJ two times per week on top of the three kettlebell sessions could be a bit too taxing for my current condition and life circumstances. Would it then make more sense to have two more demanding weekly kettlebell sessions or try to keep the three weekly sessions and make them lighter (by e.g. going down in weight)?

The solutions that come to my mind would be to either
a) split the three sessions over 1.5 weeks instead of one week
b) drop the intermediate or light day
c) do the program as written with a lighter kettlebell.

I realise that this means that progress might be slower. However, I think it might be worthwhile to prioritise continuity of training over short term gains. Appreciate any input!
I think it depends on your age, bjj journey, classes etc. I’m on maintenance strength wise right now as I’m training 6 days a week. Also I’m not high level bjj so I don’t have any easy rolls like a purple belt would have picking out white belts to roll with. Come the summer I’ll be training 3/4 days a week for the foreseeable future and will be able to focus more on S&C.
For example when I’m training 2/3 times a week I can blast out swings @ 40kg for 40 mins, right now if I even look at a 24kg bell I could pull a muscle in my neck

I think it depends on your age, bjj journey, classes etc. I’m on maintenance strength wise right now as I’m training 6 days a week. Also I’m not high level bjj so I don’t have any easy rolls like a purple belt would have picking out white belts to roll with. Come the summer I’ll be training 3/4 days a week for the foreseeable future and will be able to focus more on S&C.
For example when I’m training 2/3 times a week I can blast out swings @ 40kg for 40 mins, right now if I even look at a 24kg bell I could pull a muscle in my neck
Yeah, I understand that it all depends. :)

Basically I´m male, 38 years old, 180 cm and 103 kg with 1-2 years of various S&C experience and some golf during summers after 5+ years of very low physical activity. I initially started with a PT and since last fall I´ve been working on my own primarily with kettlebells 2-3 times per week. My strength and conditioning levels have improved significantly from what they where. Ideally I´d loose some weight by next summer and I am actively cleaning up my diet.

I started the Beginner to Intermediate program using 24 kg for swings and heavy TGU doing singles of roll to elbow, 16 kg for intermediate TGUs and 12 kg for light TGUs. The load felt right as a stand alone S&C program, I was able complete the 20 minutes of OTM swings fairly easily and started with 30 second intervals.

However, with bjj starting twice per week my plan is to restart the Beginner to Intermediate program using 16 kg for swings, heavy and intermediate TGUs , 12 kg for light TGUs and probably stay with OTM swings for the first few weeks. I don´t know how taxing the bjj is going to be, but it consists of an initial 3 weeks aimed at complete beginners and continues after that mixed with more experienced trainees.

I guess the best way is to go by feel and adjust the training load as needed.

I started the Beginner to Intermediate program using 24 kg for swings and heavy TGU doing singles of roll to elbow, 16 kg for intermediate TGUs and 12 kg for light TGUs. The load felt right as a stand alone S&C program, I was able complete the 20 minutes of OTM swings fairly easily and started with 30 second intervals.

However, with bjj starting twice per week my plan is to restart the Beginner to Intermediate program using 16 kg for swings, heavy and intermediate TGUs , 12 kg for light TGUs and probably stay with OTM swings for the first few weeks. I don´t know how taxing the bjj is going to be, but it consists of an initial 3 weeks aimed at complete beginners and continues after that mixed with more experienced trainees.

I guess the best way is to go by feel and adjust the training load as needed.
Sounds good.
Option a) Start swinging with the 16 kg and progess quickly.
Option b) Take a step back with the 24 kg and limit your progression a bit. Go a few minutes back and build up minute by minute over the course of the weeks, allowing a gradual progression.

Hello friends,

Few things I was hoping to confirm.

I am currently on my second week using 2x28kg for C&J.

On my fourth week I will be deloading to 2x20kg.

I will be keeping the same rep schema as my previous week, C+J+C...

On my fifth week I will move back to 2x28kg.

Just wanted to make sure I am proceeding correctly.

Thank you!

Deload week is coming up.

I do not having a matching set of bells to deload to, 2x28 > 2x20.
Is it acceptable to deload to a single bell and run that for the week?
Or should I keep doubles and deload to an offset 16/20 or 20/24.

Thanks!

Deload week is coming up.

I do not having a matching set of bells to deload to, 2x28 > 2x20.
Is it acceptable to deload to a single bell and run that for the week?
Or should I keep doubles and deload to an offset 16/20 or 20/24.

Thanks!
I misread the double programme and only dropped 8 kg in total and it felt OK, e.g. 24+28 to 20+24.
I only have a 12 kg smaller and 20+12 will feel odd I expect.
If you're talking about one bell on the minute then an alternative would be two bells every other minute. Or drop the reps and/or drop the sets.
But, yes, one bell on the minute would be a pretty significant deload albeit a different exercise.

I misread the double programme and only dropped 8 kg in total and it felt OK, e.g. 24+28 to 20+24.
I only have a 12 kg smaller and 20+12 will feel odd I expect.
If you're talking about one bell on the minute then an alternative would be two bells every other minute. Or drop the reps and/or drop the sets.
But, yes, one bell on the minute would be a pretty significant deload albeit a different exercise.
My plan if I deload to one bell would be to run it for the week as the single C&J program.

Good to know that you ran doubles as offset without any issues.

Thanks for sharing your experience @Pete L

My plan if I deload to one bell would be to run it for the week as the single C&J program.

Good to know that you ran doubles as offset without any issues.

Thanks for sharing your experience @Pete L
You could do either. If it were me, I would do single bell to give the body more of a reset.

What are peoples experiences when they do the heavy swings every :30? Where did you start, How did you progress, where did you stall?

I’m coming in off of a run on ROP and i did a test week swinging 5 every 1:00 with the 32. But i was able to hit the 20:00 fairly easily. So i did the three days OTM before running it every :30 last week. I made it to 9:00 before i tapped. May have needed to stop earlier even. I’m interested to see what tomorrow brings, but i am doing LED running two days a week along with this and am wondering if I’m going to bonk out. I really dig the program though!

What are peoples experiences when they do the heavy swings every :30? Where did you start, How did you progress, where did you stall?

I’m coming in off of a run on ROP and i did a test week swinging 5 every 1:00 with the 32. But i was able to hit the 20:00 fairly easily. So i did the three days OTM before running it every :30 last week. I made it to 9:00 before i tapped. May have needed to stop earlier even. I’m interested to see what tomorrow brings, but i am doing LED running two days a week along with this and am wondering if I’m going to bonk out. I really dig the program though!
I made it to 14 mins swinging every :30. The next week I made it to 16 mins, and then 18 mins the week after that. I am rucking at least 2x per week. I have just moved up to the next sized KB and hit 20 mins OTM very easily on the first heavy day.

I made it to 14 mins swinging every :30. The next week I made it to 16 mins, and then 18 mins the week after that. I am rucking at least 2x per week. I have just moved up to the next sized KB and hit 20 mins OTM very easily on the first heavy day.
Nice work! What bell size? The 5 OTM was super easy as well. I’m trying to be very conservative in termination of :30 swings though. As soon as i notice any power drop off I’ve been calling it.

Reactions: T T
Depending on the weight you might also switch to the advanced version with up to 40 minutes and a different split.

I worked up to 40kg for 5 OT30s. I started at 32kg - first 5 OTM for 20 min, then 5 OT30s, then stepped up the bell size once I hit that for 20 min. For me, I just couldn't maintain that pop with one hand swings, even if I did them passing the talk test, I just couldn't get hard swings.

Nice work! What bell size? The 5 OTM was super easy as well. I’m trying to be very conservative in termination of :30 swings though. As soon as i notice any power drop off I’ve been calling it.
I started with 24kg on swings. Now I'm using 32kg.

I worked up to 40kg for 5 OT30s. I started at 32kg - first 5 OTM for 20 min, then 5 OT30s, then stepped up the bell size once I hit that for 20 min. For me, I just couldn't maintain that pop with one hand swings, even if I did them passing the talk test, I just couldn't get hard swings.
I don’t doubt it. Stopping at 10 min with the 32k is what got me asking this question. I know i can make it theough if i want, but am trying not to lie to myself. I’ll be interested to see my progress. What kind of time jumps would people see on a weekly basis?

Back
Top Bottom