all posts post new thread

Old Forum Kind of training you gravitate towards and what motivates you

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Erik Duarte

Level 1 Valued Member
I believe mine would be anything I can do outdoors at the park or in nature. I train in judo quite a bit and focus on rope climbs, sandbag work with the 70 lbs kettlebell and I Usually just bring all of this to the park.  My goal is to strict  one arm military press with both arms an 88 lbs kettlebell, Get my deadlift back up to what it used to be, 365 lbs and improve on the rope climbing. I will keep everyone posted on my training.

Also I plan to do this at a bodyweight of 160-165 lbs. right now I am at 175 lbs. I like to keep my training to where I find it fun. I truly believe in the word consistency. I make a point to get something in 6 days a week, even if it is for only 30 minutes. That 30 minutes has made  significant impact on my randori. What motivates me are several factors. One of the biggest ones is, I hate losing in competition.

If I lose I will learn from it and back to the drawing board. I make a joke to other people, that they may be more skilled, stronger, faster and more experienced than me but I'll be damned if I don't go in knowing i'm going to win. I competed in my first competition in judo as a white belt. I took first with two pins and a throw without a match going over a minute. I know at white belt level is only beginning but a couple of years ago, my anxiety and depression was so bad I couldn't even leave the house or look some one in the eye without shaking. t I have alot of people to give credit for putting me on the right path to improvement. My family is the biggest one. Pavel, Ross enamait, dan john are the main 3 trainers. The biggest ones are the ones who helped me, My sensei and some really  good judoka and bjj players. Consistency and leaving the ego at the door is what I believe helped me improve so fast in a 4 month period. I started off getting submitted all the time by a brown belt level bjj and judoka.

He's worked with me for quite a while on improving my  newaza and now it went from him tapping me 5-8 times in 5 minutes to maybe 2 times in 5 minutes. I also work with a young man who took 5 in the junior olympics and he also worked with me alot. It went from him throwing me ALL the time to it going back and forth. One of my main points to this article is simple. To improve, The key is consistency, support and leaving the ego at the door.

I was consistent, I have great support from my father, mother, sensei and fellow training partners and I try my best to come in with a positive attitude and learn from whoever I can. Tommorrow, I would like to post on this forum on my experience with depression and anxiety effected my training in the past. I think many will like the read. I hope any one who is or was in the same boat can read this and relate.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom