all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Kindle Edition Benefits

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mike Torres

Senior Instructor, Jiu-Jitsu Brown Belt
Senior Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Every couple of days I see a post on the forum that starts with, "I know I read this somewhere but can't find it..." or "I don't have the book handy right now..." or "The book is back ordered/out of print/too expensive to ship to my country". There has to be a better way - and indeed there is!

While I love owning certain books in print as much as the next person, there are so many advantages of owning them on Kindle as well (or instead). Especially Pavel's books which I re-read all the time, or any other book you plan to go back and reference or re-read for years to come.

You can read on your phone, PC, Mac, web browser, E-reader, tablet, whatever. Kindle books are always with you when you travel, when you're commuting, when you're at work, when you're training. Wherever. Your books will also automatically sync ACROSS your devices (including if you have the Audible book) - so you can pick up where you left off. Start on one device, keep reading on another. Your bookmarks, notes, and highlights sync too. Net-net: You do NOT need a Kindle device to read or reference Kindle books. The Kindle apps are all free.

Pavel's books are all cheaper on Kindle. Simple & Sinister 2.0 and The Quick and the Dead are both $5 cheaper. Beyond Bodybuilding is $20 cheaper (!), Reload is only available digitally, Deadlift Dynamite is $20 cheaper, Enter the Kettlebell is $18 cheaper, Hard Style Abs (one of the best) is $19 cheaper, Power to the People Professional is $969 cheaper (no joke!), and so on. So even if as a supplement to the print book, it can be worth getting books digitally for reference.

They take up no physical space. A big deal when you own them all :)

You can search them... from anywhere. What was that thing Pavel said about the ab wheel? Or about karate? Pull out your phone, do a quick keyword search and you'll have it. No searching for the book on a shelf at home and flipping pages for 5+ minutes. People sometimes think I have some amazing memory because I can reference exact passages from books - I just search for them and copy & paste.

You can highlight sections, take notes inline, and bookmark pages. You can also get access to your notes & highlights from any device, export them as a PDF, or view them all on the web. I highlight all the important stuff to go back to later or share on social media. I also bookmark all the training protocols for easy reference when I need access to them.

Anyway, just a friendly public service announcement for those who haven't converted to digital yet.

<Note I run the Kindle product team at Amazon AND I'm a StrongFirst Certified Team Leader - so this post is dripping with bias>

Every couple of days I see a post on the forum that starts with, "I know I read this somewhere but can't find it..." or "I don't have the book handy right now..." or "The book is back ordered/out of print/too expensive to ship to my country". There has to be a better way - and indeed there is!

While I love owning certain books in print as much as the next person, there are so many advantages of owning them on Kindle as well (or instead). Especially Pavel's books which I re-read all the time, or any other book you plan to go back and reference or re-read for years to come.

You can read on your phone, PC, Mac, web browser, E-reader, tablet, whatever. Kindle books are always with you when you travel, when you're commuting, when you're at work, when you're training. Wherever. Your books will also automatically sync ACROSS your devices (including if you have the Audible book) - so you can pick up where you left off. Start on one device, keep reading on another. Your bookmarks, notes, and highlights sync too. Net-net: You do NOT need a Kindle device to read or reference Kindle books. The Kindle apps are all free.

Pavel's books are all cheaper on Kindle. Simple & Sinister 2.0 and The Quick and the Dead are both $5 cheaper. Beyond Bodybuilding is $20 cheaper (!), Reload is only available digitally, Deadlift Dynamite is $20 cheaper, Enter the Kettlebell is $18 cheaper, Hard Style Abs (one of the best) is $19 cheaper, Power to the People Professional is $969 cheaper (no joke!), and so on. So even if as a supplement to the print book, it can be worth getting books digitally for reference.

You can search them... from anywhere. What was that thing Pavel said about the ab wheel? Or about karate? Pull out your phone, do a quick keyword search and you'll have it. No searching for the book on a shelf at home and flipping pages for 5+ minutes. People sometimes think I have some amazing memory because I can reference exact passages from books - I just search for them and copy & paste.

You can highlight sections, take notes inline, and bookmark pages. You can also get access to your notes & highlights from any device, export them as a PDF, or view them all on the web. I highlight all the important stuff to go back to later or share on social media. I also bookmark all the training protocols for easy reference when I need access to them.

Anyway, just a friendly public service announcement for those who haven't converted to digital yet.

<Note I run the Kindle product team at Amazon AND I'm a StrongFirst Certified Team Leader - so this post is dripping with bias>
I remember reading an article about you years ago! Never knew you were the same Mike Torres who left Microsoft.

Thank you for sharing!

I was thinking when reading this you should do sales for them, haha

I use kindle and really like it, I have a hard time reading paperback, older eyes.. on Kindle I can adjust brightness, font size/style, background color etc.

@Bret S. Cool. I would be an evangelist even if I didn't work for Amazon! Seriously, I loved Kindle years before working on it - especially for these specific books which I re-read and reference all the time.

@Adam R Mundorf Haha, that's funny. Yes, one and the same!

I have been an early adopter of Kindle, at least over here in Germany, and I agree. I like the mix of PC and handheld device for reading and researching. The one thing I don't like is the way to highlight passages. In physical copies I would usually highlight single key words and maybe a phrase here and there. But that just takes too long on Kindle so I end up highlighting whole paragraphs :D Anyway, I like to look for exact phrasing and this is so much easier with digital versions. Reading is also more comfortable with Kindle devices (it is light and lying in bed you don't need to hold it, it can stand on the side). I am pretty grateful for this invention and the possibility to get new books pretty cheap right after publication and to carry it everywhere with me.

PS: @Mike Torres Maybe you could put your affiliate note at the top of the post -- reading on mobile it will only appear quite late.

I have been an early adopter of Kindle, at least over here in Germany, and I agree. I like the mix of PC and handheld device for reading and researching. The one thing I don't like is the way to highlight passages. In physical copies I would usually highlight single key words and maybe a phrase here and there. But that just takes too long on Kindle so I end up highlighting whole paragraphs :D Anyway, I like to look for exact phrasing and this is so much easier with digital versions. Reading is also more comfortable with Kindle devices (it is light and lying in bed you don't need to hold it, it can stand on the side). I am pretty grateful for this invention and the possibility to get new books pretty cheap right after publication and to carry it everywhere with me.

PS: @Mike Torres Maybe you could put your affiliate note at the top of the post -- reading on mobile it will only appear quite late.
Very cool!

Note there was no affiliate link in my post and I don’t personally benefit if you buy Kindle books or not :) I may work on this stuff but I’m also just a fan and figured there’s still a lot people don’t know about how to best use Kindle books for reference. And Pavel’s books work perfectly for this.

I find myself buying the electronic version of a paper book I already ownif I keep going back to it. Or vice versa I will buy the paper version of an ebook if I really want to give it a deep read.

Kindle is extremely well done but I hate being locked to a platform and having my books in twi separate apps. (I also like alApple books). In a real way I feel like I really own an ebook.

I find myself buying the electronic version of a paper book I already ownif I keep going back to it. Or vice versa I will buy the paper version of an ebook if I really want to give it a deep read.

Kindle is extremely well done but I hate being locked to a platform and having my books in twi separate apps. (I also like alApple books). In a real way I feel like I really own an ebook.
I hear you on the separate apps. All of my digital books are in Kindle because it's available everywhere -- whereas Apple Books has no incentive to build an Android app, a Windows app, etc. It's the same reason I never bought music or movies on iTunes (and never will).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom