all posts post new thread

Kettlebell King size killer

@Kev Gladly!

I plan on writing my formal review in a few weeks, but I did exactly what you are describing: 4 weeks of Giant, 3 weeks of KSK, and so on
This is how I organized these blocks:

Giant 1.0 with 2x24kg
KSK 1.0 Phase 1 with 28kg
Giant 2.0 with 2x24kg
KSK 1.0 Phase 2 with 28kg
Giant 1.1 with 2x24kg
KSK 1.0 Phase 1 with 32kg
Giant 3.0 with 2x28 <------This is where I'm at on my 3rd week

I never lost anything in the snatch with 4 weeks of Giant. In fact, when I started this whole process in the Spring, 32kg was a 3RM. It is currently sitting a very comfortable 12RM
Fantastic. So that way works just fine. Good work and thanks again. Looks like that’s my winter sorted then.

@Kev Gladly!

I plan on writing my formal review in a few weeks, but I did exactly what you are describing: 4 weeks of Giant, 3 weeks of KSK, and so on

Giant 1.0 with 2x24kg
Giant 2.0 with 2x24kg
Giant 1.1 with 2x24kg

I never lost anything in the snatch with 4 weeks of Giant. In fact, when I started this whole process in the Spring, 32kg was a 3RM. It is currently sitting a very comfortable 12RM
Excellent work, @JamesPTA!

@Kev Gladly!

Giant 1.0 with 2x24kg
Giant 2.0 with 2x24kg
Giant 1.1 with 2x24kg

That is great programming and work James. Well done. James and Geoff for those results!

I’ve been pursuing my pressing goal for a long time as training-priority-#1 and recently started having a hankering for other stuff. It also led to me injuring my right shoulder because I neglected balancing movements at an appropriate intensity/volume.

Right now, I’m toying with cycling the KSK phases with a doubles version of Long Cycle of Death. I’m assuming the press will still improve from the snatch and DLCCJ, I’ll get to use heavier weights jerking than I would pressing (if say, doing the Giant), and the conditioning benefits should be fantastic.

Still haven’t made up my mind yet, though; might do a C+P program instead of C+J. Even though I’m sort of sick of pressing it’s hard to walk away. Right now I’ve been doing snatches followed by lizard crawls on one day and DFSq plus pull-ups the next and I feel great, but that little voice keeps saying, “just press a little; come one, one or two or 50 presses should be fine; just do it today and go back to your program tomorrow.”

Thanks,
Sam Goldner, DPT

I’ve been pursuing my pressing goal for a long time as training-priority-#1 and recently started having a hankering for other stuff. It also led to me injuring my right shoulder because I neglected balancing movements at an appropriate intensity/volume.

Right now, I’m toying with cycling the KSK phases with a doubles version of Long Cycle of Death. I’m assuming the press will still improve from the snatch and DLCCJ, I’ll get to use heavier weights jerking than I would pressing (if say, doing the Giant), and the conditioning benefits should be fantastic.

Still haven’t made up my mind yet, though; might do a C+P program instead of C+J. Even though I’m sort of sick of pressing it’s hard to walk away. Right now I’ve been doing snatches followed by lizard crawls on one day and DFSq plus pull-ups the next and I feel great, but that little voice keeps saying, “just press a little; come one, one or two or 50 presses should be fine; just do it today and go back to your program tomorrow.”

Thanks,
Sam Goldner, DPT

Why don't you try a maintenance program once a week for pressing?

Interesting KB and bodyweight pairing.

I‘m in a similar boat atm doing a long cycle version of the giant 3.0 after doing the 9 weeks of KSK 1.0. My problem atm is that I am not quite sure how many weeks of giant I can do if I want to start KSK 2.0 afterwards. Not sure if I won’t lose too mich Snatch progress when following the 9 weeks KSK / 8 weeks giant theme… maybe 3/4 would indeed be better?

Why don't you try a maintenance program once a week for pressing?

Interesting KB and bodyweight pairing.
I do a short set of clean and press as part of my warmup, but I’m trying to stay away from dedicated pressing; the ballistics should maintain it and I can always work to get it back. My shoulder needs a different focus for now.

Lizard Crawl let’s me get some horizontal pressing-ish stimulus while also hitting scapular stabilizers hard, plus core strength and hip mobility. Basically, it’s filling gaps I had from my hyper focus on my overhead press. Same with the FSq and Pull-ups. If I fill those gaps I’ll be in a better place to chase my overhead press when I get back to it.

Thanks,
Sam Goldner, DPT

Last edited:
I‘m in a similar boat atm doing a long cycle version of the giant 3.0 after doing the 9 weeks of KSK 1.0. My problem atm is that I am not quite sure how many weeks of giant I can do if I want to start KSK 2.0 afterwards. Not sure if I won’t lose too mich Snatch progress when following the 9 weeks KSK / 8 weeks giant theme… maybe 3/4 would indeed be better?
I know there was an email from @Geoff Neupert about cycling KSK and The Giant but I can’t find it and don’t remember if there were details regarding phases verses an entire 1.0/2.0/etc.

ROTK uses 2-week blocks and cites research about how long strength and other fitness characteristics stick around for. There’s other research pointing to similar time lines of 2-4 weeks. That’s why I was going to keep the blocks shorter and alternate phases. I was planning Long Cycle of Death from @Geoff Neupert’s Kettlebell Express (albeit using doubles) because it’s exactly the same as KSK but swapping exercises; that just makes it mentally simpler for me.

Thanks,
Sam Goldner, DPT

I know there was an email from @Geoff Neupert about cycling KSK and The Giant but I can’t find it and don’t remember if there were details regarding phases verses an entire 1.0/2.0/etc.
Basically he suggested 3 options:
1. Cut session length in half for each plan and do them together with 5-10 min rest between them, training the most powerful one first.
2. Alternate days, training 3x a week (so week 1 would be KSK - G - KSK and week 2 would be G - KSK - G).
3. Alternate blocks - e.g. KSK - Giant 1 - KSK - Giant 2 - etc.

I do a short set of clean and press as part of my warmup, but I’m trying to stay away from dedicated pressing; the ballistics should maintain it and I can always work to get it back. My shoulder needs a different focus for now.

Lizard Crawl let’s me get some horizontal pressing-ish stimulus while also hitting scapular stabilizers hard, plus core strength and hip mobility. Basically, it’s filling gaps I had from my hyper focus on my overhead press. Same with the FSq and Pull-ups. If I fill those gaps I’ll be in a better place to chase my overhead press when I get back to it.

Thanks,
Sam Goldner, DPT

I totally agree. I added bodyweight inverted rows and dips to my routine because I realized I was neglecting chest/tricep and rowing movements, easy to neglect with KB only. I deadlift but that is more upperback/posterior chain.

All of this getting myself in a quandary with what to do. I’ve decided I’m going to do the giant and then the giant template with the double snatch, then giant, then double snatch. Just like that. This was suggested by John Grahill I believe, on his original Giant thread so it’s not an idea of mine. Single bell work in the snatch is something I do in spring. I like the giant over the winter months so in this instance I’m going to slay 2 birds with one stone really. It’ll be interesting and a winter well spent.

All of this getting myself in a quandary with what to do. I’ve decided I’m going to do the giant and then the giant template with the double snatch, then giant, then double snatch. Just like that. This was suggested by John Grahill I believe, on his original Giant thread so it’s not an idea of mine. Single bell work in the snatch is something I do in spring. I like the giant over the winter months so in this instance I’m going to slay 2 birds with one stone really. It’ll be interesting and a winter well spent.
That's a great idea Kev. My original idea was after trying the Giant as a doubles program to try some of Geoff's singles programs with doubles. The KSK with doubles was my thought. It was such a good idea that I didn't do it!

Reactions: Kev
Yup I’ve turned the giant on it’s head and started with 3.0. It’s a game changer.
This is how I’ve been always running it, even though it wasn’t a 5rm bell. It helps acclimate for the volume and builds confidence. 2.0 in between 1.0 and 1.1 is also good.

I’m on my 32nd consecutive week of Giant and I’m still seeing progress. No stalling or anything deleterious.

This is how I’ve been always running it, even though it wasn’t a 5rm bell. It helps acclimate for the volume and builds confidence. 2.0 in between 1.0 and 1.1 is also good.

I’m on my 32nd consecutive week of Giant and I’m still seeing progress. No stalling or anything deleterious.
Holy smokes. Do you look like a human cobra at this point? That’s nuts. Love to see the upper body changes of a 32 week Giant run. What’ve you noticed?

Unreal. What kind of gains have you made. @Geoff Neupert would probably like to hear from you. One of the selling points of this program is its sustainability.

The website says: "The King-Sized Killer' Program Jump Starts Fat Loss, Strengthens Your Military Press ..."

These are actually two goals of mine, along with solidifying and improving my snatch which is currently 20x5 @20kg EMOM to hopefully be able to snatch 24kg comfortably.

@Geoff Neupert and those who did the programme: Is it possible to only do the KSK, which is snatch-only as far as I understood, and still improve my presses? There are no presses in the programme, right?

Currently doing ROP with 20kg and want to be able to press 32kg as a 1RM at least.

The website says: "The King-Sized Killer' Program Jump Starts Fat Loss, Strengthens Your Military Press ..."

These are actually two goals of mine, along with solidifying and improving my snatch which is currently 20x5 @20kg EMOM to hopefully be able to snatch 24kg comfortably.

@Geoff Neupert and those who did the programme: Is it possible to only do the KSK, which is snatch-only as far as I understood, and still improve my presses? There are no presses in the programme, right?

Currently doing ROP with 20kg and want to be able to press 32kg as a 1RM at least.
It has helped progress my press but I was doing it in conjunction with other things so I can’t tell you for sure that it would have done it on its own. I am comfortable saying it was definitely a positive factor, though.

Back
Top Bottom