all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Knee Crepitus - Swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mucheme

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello,

I have been training KBs consistently for about a year now, following simple and sinister and youtube instruction as much as I can. I recently saw an SFG to work on my form a bit. I immediately noticed a difference in my swing (for the better) with just a few tweaks on feet placement and putting a little bend in my knees. My question is, ever since I have noticed knee crepitus, like a grinding sound, in first my left knee and now my right knee. It has been about a month with these adjustments to my form. There is absolutely no pain at all, however, I have dropped from 24kg to 16kg for all my swings out of an abundance of caution.

Does anybody else have a similar experience with swings causing this?

Thanks,

Any pain?
It could evolve into 'something' which may or may not result in pain. I've had creaky knees for 30 years or so, 57 now. Have had many knee and lower leg injuries.
They creak and pop a lot. Currently have full rom, no pain at all. Do creaky knees stop my physical activity? No. Swings especially? No.
Pain does though.
I'm not you and your knees are yours. Your call.

Was the creakiness a precursor to injury/weakness? Who knows. Bit late now anyway.

I'd be a rubbish burglar. In the dead of night you can hear me a mile away.

Once, the gym I used to go to had an issue with the sound system, and at 4am there was no one around and wow, the noises my knees made were impressive!. After my knee injury, I asked my physiotherapist about noisy knees are bad. He explained unless there’s pain it’s not totally abnormal and doesn’t necessarily mean there’s an issue

It is odd that it’s started all of a sudden in your case, but if you’re worried, see someone qualified.

Video of your swings?

Sure, thanks for your input everyone.

Like I said, no pain, swings feel much more powerful, just noisy now....

Would like to see a full body from the side shot (see your stance all the way up to the finish).

Any other activities or exercises?

Would like to see a full body from the side shot (see your stance all the way up to the finish).

Any other activities or exercises?

Here is a side view with a better view of my feet. I try to do S&S 4-5 days a week and a various other activity that is light intensity (bike, climb, disc golf, etc) once a week with at least one full day devoted to light stretching or complete rest.

A couple of things:

1) notice that you are rocking back to your heels a bit on the backswing—causing you to lose your solid foot position.
You want to keep the weight "even" on the feet—leave 1" deep footprints of the entire foot.

2) it does not appear that you are fully extending your knees and that you are posterior tilting a bit at the top–You want to extend up fully—"pull the kneecaps up", fully extend the hips to the standing plank.

3) also—how tall are you? Be that tall at the finish of your swing—right now you are dropping your head at the finish.

A couple of things:

1) notice that you are rocking back to your heels a bit on the backswing—causing you to lose your solid foot position.
You want to keep the weight "even" on the feet—leave 1" deep footprints of the entire foot.

2) it does not appear that you are fully extending your knees and that you are posterior tilting a bit at the top–You want to extend up fully—"pull the kneecaps up", fully extend the hips to the standing plank.

3) also—how tall are you? Be that tall at the finish of your swing—right now you are dropping your head at the finish.
Thank you for the insight, these are points the SFG I met with made as well. I will continue to work with lower weight a bit to drill down form. The creaky knees I will discuss with my doc just to be safe.

Practice your KB DL focusing on the same cues and always a good idea to check with a Healthcare provider.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom