all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Knee inflammation from TGU's

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Alpineskier

First Post
I had a knee scoped in March and had a micro fracture procedure where the bone marrow is drilled to create blood and fat that will create a new layer of cartilage. As a result, I was on crutches for 6 weeks until the end of April. The knee has healed well with no pain. Since that time I have been biking to regain some strength in my quads and recently started using the kettle bell and performing TGU's and swings. The affected knee has started to swell (soft tissue inflammation versus fluid from what I can see) and the muscles going into the knee on the interior and anterior parts of the knee are very tight. Any thoughts on how to correct this swelling and tightness?

I would take arnica and do some deep water running. Also horse balm could be kice to cool the knee.

Free $0.02 I would stop (For now) doing the kneeling portion of the TGU's. I found I kept tweaking up inflam in one of my knees doing them so now I have been doing 1/2 getups, to high bridge only, then soon as I am back all the way down w/ bell parked, I stand up and do clean to bent press to overhead squat to cover the rest of the movement. Some differences of course in muscles and angles but feels quite good and complete to me.

Did you have an Physical Therapy ?
Full Range of motion etc... at the end of therapy
any extension lag or lack of flexion?
Cleared by your Dr. and PT to exercise etc...

If you have a PT - have them check the knee just to be sure there isn't anything going on and they can suggest some treatment or exercise to help

For now - Only perform the 1/2 get-up and stop the swings for about a week to let the knee "calm" down
Did you reestablish your KB DL before moving into swings?

10-15 minutes of ice a couple of times a day
get the leg elevated and perform some ankle "pumps"

Keep us posted

Yeah, I would nix the TGU completely and focus on swings. When your swings are good and are not causing pain or swelling then try out the TGU. The swing is a lot easier on the knees. This will allow you to isolate the movements causing you problems and let you develop a strategy to workout around those movements or find solutions to them.

2nd knee pads especially on wooden floors. Old football injuries flare up if i do them on a hard surface without any padding.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom