all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Knee pain during 44 -> 53 lb jump

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Daniel[DEF]

First Post
Hey gang, I've been on Simple and Sinister now for about a year, and developed some knee pain jumping to 53 lbs. The interesting thing is that if I drop to 44 lbs for about 2 weeks, the pain goes away and I can swing 44 lbs like a mad man. As soon as I pick up that 53 lb bell, my knees ache like crazy. I drop to 44 lbs and we're good to go again.. I haven't checked with a PT or anything because when I S&S 44 lbs, I'm 100% good to go. Zero pain, can run, jump, etc, and swing all day. It's purely the move to 53lbs that causes issues.

I'm sure it's technique related, as everything is. I've posted videos of my right handed swing, which seems to be the more problematic side for me.
Front view -
Side view -

Some initial thoughts from reviewing the videos, is my stance too wide? Are my feet too wide, or not wide enough? My research tells me both answers, some I really interested what I hear from this crew. Thanks everyone!

@Daniel[DEF] please try barefoot. Please also try toeing out a little more in those bare feet. Please report back. As to toe out, experiment - maybe keep toeing out a little more each set until it’s clearly too much then back off some.

-S-

Pretty close to solid. Re-shoot vid from 45 degree angle and at waist height so we can see your entire body. Looks like your shoulder is unpacking ( can't see ) you are hinging when bell is too far away, wait on it. Hinging early gives you a bit of backward lean and some forward knee drive. Also, you might get more pop with your hinge if you don't drop so deep with your upper body, think 2 o'clock instead of close to 3 o'clock. Waiting longer to hinge will help this.

Try this..

Do a set of SF hip bridges prior to swinging.. Then retest your swings..

You wanna replicate the feeling of the hip bridge at the top of the swing

Try this..

Do a set of SF hip bridges prior to swinging.. Then retest your swings..

You wanna replicate the feeling of the hip bridge at the top of the swing

+1

I also add 7 way hip and some Cossack squats on days where I've been sitting too much / my hip-butt is not waking up enough.

@Daniel[DEF]

+1 on adding hip raises before swings and training with shoes off. You could also add deadlifts with your kettlebell. Really squeeze the glutes at the top.

From your video, it looks to me like you just need more practice developing a powerful hip hinge and lockout at the top of the swing. A diaphragmatic breathing match is important as well. I would keep practicing and refining your 1H swing technique with the 20kg.

In addition, you could probably add 2H Swings with the 24kg now, working on the same elements of technique as the 1H swing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom