all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Knee pain

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 4484

Not sure if this is the right forum section?

Been doing S&S with proper warm-up for around 16-17 weeks now. Slow controled goblets with the 24, I pulled my self in to the bottom position prying. around 7 weeks ago I Went to the gym and did light front squats (my back cant take back squats). Did 2x5 at 50kg. On the last set a sharp pain spread in the knee so I ended the set. From that day I get a pain sensation when I do goblets, eaven without weight. The pain starts at parallell and below. Lunges are pain free.

Now to the odd part. Last day at work we had sort of a challenge and I decided to demonstrate pistol squat. Knowing I havn´t done them in years and that my knee is injured(?) I decided to give it a try. Did Three conceutive, slow no bouncing. No pain?! Later that night I did my S&S .. pain while doing goblets.

Ive tried to widen my stance, narrow my stance, Point the toes more outward, and more straight. Make sure that the knees dont wobble and stay over the toes.

Earlier in life I´ve been doing close to 2xBW squats without any pain to this boggels my mind.

Anyone experience anything like this?! I´ve aslo been experienceing some "clicking" in the knee. Nothing that hurts, but I have never had it before.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Stefan Olsson
Obviously I have no idea what's specifically going on with your knee (never having met you, not being a medical professional, etc.). Noise from a joint that isn't painful is common and not necessarily a problem, but clicking can also indicate loose or torn cartilage or other problems. There's no way for me evaluate your symptoms or their cause.

However, pain can be a mysterious thing. Pain is an interpretation of the nervous system. That interpretation can be a direct result of mechanical damage, but often is not. So pain can come and go mysteriously, and can persist after an injury to tissue has healed, or if an injury was never present in the first place. So the fact that the pain is intermittent or occurs with some movements, but not other similar movements is not unusual.

This does not make the pain any less real, and unfortunately does not make it easy to treat. In fact, it is one reason physical therapy and many other medical interventions fail -- stretching this, strengthening or activating that, or sewing those things back together doesn't necessarily address the source of the pain -- and trying to get the nervous system to react differently can be a very uncertain business.

Google Lorimer Moseley as a good starting point for information on pain science; he's a prominent pain scientist. Lots of good articles and videos will come up.

Last edited:
Is it the first time you have pain in the knee? If it is, I would just avoid the painful exercises for a while and see if it goes away. My experience is that avoiding pain while training is important so as not to create more damage or chronic injuries.

I've had bad knees for a long time and my left knée also clics. Sometimes tightness in my quads creates some pain in the area that gets confused with knee pain. You could also massage your quads and try to find tight spots.

Always good to see a doctor to rule out injury.

In your place, I would stretch. I have experienced what you described; for me, it happens when something starts tracking differently in my knees, and as you’ve described, I can often trace mine back to an exercise I hadn’t done in a while. Both @Steve W. and @Oscar touch on this, too, in their replies.

-S-

Hi, guys! I totally forgot about this thread!

I will look up Lorimer Moseley right away!

It seems that the knee pain, is more precisely in the popliteal (correct wording?). Stretching seem to ease the pain/strain.

@Stefan Olsson
Obviously I have no idea what's specifically going on with your knee (never having met you, not being a medical professional, etc.). Noise from a joint that isn't painful is common and not necessarily a problem, but clicking can also indicate loose or torn cartilage or other problems. There's no way for me evaluate your symptoms or their cause.

However, pain can be a mysterious thing. Pain is an interpretation of the nervous system. That interpretation can be a direct result of mechanical damage, but often is not. So pain can come and go mysteriously, and can persist after an injury to tissue has healed, or if an injury was never present in the first place. So the fact that the pain is intermittent or occurs with some movements, but not other similar movements is not unusual.

This does not make the pain any less real, and unfortunately does not make it easy to treat. In fact, it is one reason physical therapy and many other medical interventions fail -- stretching this, strengthening or activating that, or sewing those things back together doesn't necessarily address the source of the pain -- and trying to get the nervous system to react differently can be a very uncertain business.

Google Lorimer Moseley as a good starting point for information on pain science; he's a prominent pain scientist. Lots of good articles and videos will come up.

Is it the first time you have pain in the knee? If it is, I would just avoid the painful exercises for a while and see if it goes away. My experience is that avoiding pain while training is important so as not to create more damage or chronic injuries.

I've had bad knees for a long time and my left knée also clics. Sometimes tightness in my quads creates some pain in the area that gets confused with knee pain. You could also massage your quads and try to find tight spots.

Always good to see a doctor to rule out injury.

In your place, I would stretch. I have experienced what you described; for me, it happens when something starts tracking differently in my knees, and as you’ve described, I can often trace mine back to an exercise I hadn’t done in a while. Both @Steve W. and @Oscar touch on this, too, in their replies.

-S-

Daily exercise to keep the joint moving reduces knee pain in some people. For those with arthritis, keeping the leg stationary or reducing the range of motion to avoid pain can stiffen the joint and make matters worse. Being overweight can aggravate the problem as well, so weight management is important.

You should always follow doctor's prescription. Just try to follow what the say. I think this would be the best way to recover yourself from knee pain.

My knee pain is still there, but almost gone. I've figured that if I'm not actively tension my quad/knee while doing goblets the pain reoccurs.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom