all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Korean Dips Muscles Worked

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

nyet07

Level 2 Valued Member
Do you know what muscle are primarily worked when doing Korean dips? It is the kind when one put the bar behind his body and there is no contact with the ground. It is unlikely it targets the chest area. My own feeling is it targets upper back muscles but I'd like to hear your opinions.

This is a tricky looking exercise. As with parallel bar dips, you'll find that the triceps are involved in straightening the arm, however the positioning of the bar behind you throughout the movement eliminates virtually all involvement from the chest muscles and puts a lot of load on the lats, traps and rhomboids as you fight against the natural tendency to let the shoulders shrug up and keep the arms extended behind you at the bottom of the movement. Depending on how exactly you perform these, there'll be a fair amount of abdominal engagement in stabilising the midsection and at the top of the movement as well.

If you can do it without pain, power to you, but it looks to me like an almost 'needlessly exotic' version of a fairly classic exercise. If you've no access to parallel bars, straight bar dips aren't a bad option but it seems to be that positioning yourself in front of the bar rather than behind it is just going to put your shoulders under considerably more strain and, given how many people complain of shoulder problems when doing any kind of dips, I'd approach this with caution.

Do you know what muscle are primarily worked when doing Korean dips? It is the kind when one put the bar behind his body and there is no contact with the ground. It is unlikely it targets the chest area. My own feeling is it targets upper back muscles but I'd like to hear your opinions.

It should really hit the upper pecs, lats, subscapularis, triceps, anterior deltoids, erectors.

Yes, it looks a bit risky if you don't have a solid base of strength to begin with.

This is a tricky looking exercise. As with parallel bar dips, you'll find that the triceps are involved in straightening the arm, however the positioning of the bar behind you throughout the movement eliminates virtually all involvement from the chest muscles and puts a lot of load on the lats, traps and rhomboids as you fight against the natural tendency to let the shoulders shrug up and keep the arms extended behind you at the bottom of the movement. Depending on how exactly you perform these, there'll be a fair amount of abdominal engagement in stabilising the midsection and at the top of the movement as well.

If you can do it without pain, power to you, but it looks to me like an almost 'needlessly exotic' version of a fairly classic exercise. If you've no access to parallel bars, straight bar dips aren't a bad option but it seems to be that positioning yourself in front of the bar rather than behind it is just going to put your shoulders under considerably more strain and, given how many people complain of shoulder problems when doing any kind of dips, I'd approach this with caution.

I recently can do that for couple of reps.

Physical Kulture

Lots of outdoor free gyms in Korea. Very cool. And yes, you can see guys doing Korean dips and all sorts of fabulous callisthenics moves on them, and even things you've probably never seen before.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom