all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Ksk + easy strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TobyC

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi all, I'm starting a cycle of King Sized Killer this week, been getting to love the snatch recently, so am going to run through it with a 20kg bell. Would it be too much to do easy strength before each training session? I'm also wanting to try out that program, seems good because, as far as I can tell, easy strength was meant to be run as a strength program while doing sport specific training. I'm just wondering if that's too much stress and if I should do one at a time.

Hi all, I'm starting a cycle of King Sized Killer this week, been getting to love the snatch recently, so am going to run through it with a 20kg bell. Would it be too much to do easy strength before each training session? I'm also wanting to try out that program, seems good because, as far as I can tell, easy strength was meant to be run as a strength program while doing sport specific training. I'm just wondering if that's too much stress and if I should do one at a time.
What would your easy strength session look like?

Would it be too much to do easy strength before each training session?
I do a lot of sessions where I start with Q&D snatches and then do additional strength drills after. I think Even Easier Strength would work fine for this after KSK.

I always do Q&D first in a session. I want to be fresh for high-power work. I'd prioritize KSK the same way. Even Easier Strength also typically features a big hinge exercise, such as the barbell DL, but I would not necessarily do DLs after a tough snatch session, or at least I would be very careful about intensity.

Note: Even Easier Strength aka the 40 day workout is different from Easy Strength (as per the Easy Strength book). Even Easier strength is high frequency, lower intensity, low volume. Easy strength is also low volume, but much higher intensity, 2-3x/week.

I do a lot of sessions where I start with Q&D snatches and then do additional strength drills after. I think Even Easier Strength would work fine for this after KSK.

I always do Q&D first in a session. I want to be fresh for high-power work. I'd prioritize KSK the same way. Even Easier Strength also typically features a big hinge exercise, such as the barbell DL, but I would not necessarily do DLs after a tough snatch session, or at least I would be very careful about intensity.

Note: Even Easier Strength aka the 40 day workout is different from Easy Strength (as per the Easy Strength book). Even Easier strength is high frequency, lower intensity, low volume. Easy strength is also low volume, but much higher intensity, 2-3x/week.
Thanks, didn't know there was a difference between the two, I'm planning on "Even Easier Strength" 5x a week, probably just going to walk or ruck on the days I'm not snatching. Do you think keep the hinge movement in or just let the snatches take care of that?

Do you think keep the hinge movement in or just let the snatches take care of that?
I'd start without DLs or supplemental KB hinge drills and see how it goes first.

I don't think you NEED a hinge movement after snatches, and you'll figure out very quickly whether it will work for you. When you finish your 20 minutes of KSK, you'll either feel good to go for a couple of sets of DL or some swings after your other EES drills, or you'll decide there's no F'ing way (I'm betting the latter unless you're way underbelled for KSK).

One exception might be if you're doing double C&Ps as part of EES. It would be low volume if you're doing two set of 5 or something like that, and those extra "free" double cleans give you some heavy ballistic hinges that I find carry over well to snatches. And the cleans in 1-arm C&Ps should be fine if you want to clean for every rep.

As I mentioned above, I'm doing Q&D 044 snatches (with 32 and 28kg as my working bells) and I often do additional strength drills after. But I mostly don't feel up to doing much or any additional hinging on Q&D days. Occasionally, if my Q&D session was short I'll throw on five sets of 10 outside the leg swings with double 28s or some clubbell double swipes, but mostly I find the snatches are plenty.

If you're doing EES 5x/week, some more hinging on the two non-KSK days might work if you really feel the need, but I'd try it without to start.

This also depends on your work capacity and the kind of volume you're used to. If you're used to a high volume and are recovering well from it, you have more leeway to do more. If not, it would be wise to start conservatively and calibrate any additional volume with your recovery.

Edit: Just noticed this. I think barbell MPs and pullups in this format are good choices, but as mentioned above, I'd try without the DL first.
I'm planning on training barbell overhead press, pullups and deadlifts, nothing too fancy, mostly the 2x5 sessions, going to follow the "even easier strength" template

I'm planning on training barbell overhead press, pullups and deadlifts, nothing too fancy, mostly the 2x5 sessions, going to follow the "even easier strength" template
I think that's doable.

Are you using KSK to build your snatch technique?

I'd start without DLs or supplemental KB hinge drills and see how it goes first.

I don't think you NEED a hinge movement after snatches, and you'll figure out very quickly whether it will work for you. When you finish your 20 minutes of KSK, you'll either feel good to go for a couple of sets of DL or some swings after your other EES drills, or you'll decide there's no F'ing way (I'm betting the latter unless you're way underbelled for KSK).

One exception might be if you're doing double C&Ps as part of EES. It would be low volume if you're doing two set of 5 or something like that, and those extra "free" double cleans give you some heavy ballistic hinges that I find carry over well to snatches. And the cleans in 1-arm C&Ps should be fine if you want to clean for every rep.

As I mentioned above, I'm doing Q&D 044 snatches (with 32 and 28kg as my working bells) and I often do additional strength drills after. But I mostly don't feel up to doing much or any additional hinging on Q&D days. Occasionally, if my Q&D session was short I'll throw on five sets of 10 outside the leg swings with double 28s or some clubbell double swipes, but mostly I find the snatches are plenty.

If you're doing EES 5x/week, some more hinging on the two non-KSK days might work if you really feel the need, but I'd try it without to start.

This also depends on your work capacity and the kind of volume you're used to. If you're used to a high volume and are recovering well from it, you have more leeway to do more. If not, it would be wise to start conservatively and calibrate any additional volume with your recovery.

Edit: Just noticed this. I think barbell MPs and pullups in this format are good choices, but as mentioned above, I'd try without the DL first.
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go with just the press and pullups on snatch days, save some light deadlifts for the other two days

I think that's doable.

Are you using KSK to build your snatch technique?
I think I've got an ok snatch technique, worked with an SFG, so it's passable. Looking to get some conditioning with it, and have a simple plan to follow. Just started a new course at university, so I like the idea of being in and out of the gym in less than 40 minutes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom