all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Kyphosis

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

tobias4466

First Post
looking for advice on overcoming kyphosis in the thoracic/cervical spine. WHat exercises/stretching etc are recommended. Thanks!!

Looks like today's blog article is for you!
http://www.strongfirst.com/posture-an-easy-way-to-up-your-performance/

I have a very mild form of kyphosis too and i felt my posture and especially t-spine "position" improve tremendously after introducing the Shoulderök, which basically is a loadable macebell. I've been doing some swings every day for a good month now and it works wonders. Sure it's very expensive, but worth every penny if you ask me. And it's a lot of fun too :)
Also when i was a teenager (when my doctor discovered the kyphosis) a physiotherapist had me do Farmers Walks, which really helped me to "stand tall".
I think TGUs and Goblet Squats are a good addition.
Last but not least get yourself a foam roller and use it daily. You will find a lot of stuff if you search for "foam roller thoracic" on google.

THanks for your responses! Sometimes the hardest part is to get some initial direction and I got much to start with from both of you. I am wondering though....what are Farmers Walks?

I just taught Farmer's Carry (Farmer's Walk) to my small kettlebell class today. I know, who "teaches" Farmer's Carry, right? Well, I did!

To me, it goes perfectly with kettlebell deadlift, because you need to have a good deadlift in order to safely do a Farmer's Carry.

My teaching notes are from Al Ciampa's PT manual, with a few of my own added.

-- Put two kettlebells together between your feet. They can be the same weight, or different.
-- Get tight - feet corkscrewed into the ground, pull up on kneecaps, squeeze glutes, brace abs, engage lats to pack shoulders.
-- Hinge back - tight, and neutral spine. Reach down for kettlebells (bend knees if needed -- but HINGE, don't squat) while looking ahead.
-- Grab handles tight with your fingers, not your palm. Hook thumb around if needed.
-- Push up by engaging the glutes and pushing hips forward; maintain tension.
-- Move the bells to the outside of your hips and step one foot in.
-- Step forward... POSTURE when walking... Practice POSTURE!! Head up and looking forward, big chest, shoulders packed and lats engaged, hips under your shoulders (under the load).
-- Take short steps, heel to toe, use the glutes.
-- Reverse the deadlift to set the bells down: move them to the inside and step one foot out as you HINGE back. Maintain tension and don't round your back until you are unloaded.

I like the heavy farmer's carries and can carry bodyweight (36kg + 36kg) pretty easily, but not for a long time (90 sec or more). Working on both aspects. I get a ton of good out of these. Simple and yet SO effective...

Shoulder dislocations with a broomstick.
Pull aparts with bands.
Dan John´s batwings.

How about this Kyphosis?
It appears that most of the flexion in this image occurs at vertebrae T7 due to lack of flexion in the other vertebrae. The body found the pathway to least resistance. No doubt caused by poor habits, posture. Hyper flexion at this point causes limited thoracic extension and interferes with shoulder extension.

Attachments

• 12042138_10156060842740564_1436974519_n.jpg
    12042138_10156060842740564_1436974519_n.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 7
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom