all posts post new thread

Kettlebell L-R Imbalance

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Davidlbn

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi all

I struggle with a strength imbalance between my left and right sides.

For context I had a brachial plexus injury about 25 years ago resulting in severe loss of strength and muscle wasting in my left arm and shoulder.
The neurologist I saw at the time said that I could hope for an 85% recovery at best.

I feel I've done better than that but would like to know how much difference is normal given that I'm right handed?

I'm currently doing S&S and my left is definitely lagging the right. Unilateral exercises clearly expose my imbalance and working the left feels weaker and less coordinated.

In know it's pretty subjective but what do you think?

Hi @Davidlbn

Most people have some left / right differences in strength, even if they do not have an injury history like you do. In that sense, having a stronger and/or more coordinated side is fairly natural. That said, I'm not quite sure I understand what your specific question is ... would you mind clarifying?

Hi @Davidlbn

Most people have some left / right differences in strength, even if they do not have an injury history like you do. In that sense, having a stronger and/or more coordinated side is fairly natural. That said, I'm not quite sure I understand what your specific question is ... would you mind clarifying?
Hi Tony

I know and expect some sort of imbalance as normal, but how much difference would there normally be?

For example would it be normal to be able to press a bell 5 times with my stronger side as opposed to only 4 (or 3?) times on the left?
As I this injury goes back a long time I'm not sure what would be normal anymore.

I guess that also leads to a question that I left out of the original post: should I train the left more than my stronger side to help build it to the same level. For example do 6 TGUs left and only 5 right?

Thanks

I would say a 10-15% difference between sides is or can be typical.
With the neurological situation your individual question (and what you should be looking for) would be best answered by a Physical Therapist etc...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom